Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Get out my Swirlmarks

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 05:37 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default Get out my Swirlmarks

so i got swirl marks on my A3 and i tried using scratch removers to get it out, but it's not working.

what else can i go to get it out? if i go to the autoshop to respray a clearcoat on my car, how much would that cost?

by the way, i'm i the only guy with an A3 that has the Bi-Xenon headlights?

Old 05-30-2006, 10:09 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Get out my Swirlmarks

I seem to remember you having a black car. Use 3M #39009, swirl mark remover for dark colored cars. It's a very fine product for making a black or dark finish appear uniform by hand rubbing. get 10 or so small pieces of used cotton terry towel ( 6" x 12"), do a small section at a time ( 2' x 2' or so), follow their instructions. The product leaves a very slight oily residue, and picky detailers wash with Dawn or wipe with wax remover before final polish or wax.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:41 PM

Nam,

I would try clay bar first and see if that works. It'll be much safer on the clear coat finish and they have it in light and medium grades which would be safe for you finish. I would slowly exhaust all alternatives before going with the above recommendation. You didn't happen to purchase any of the paint protection, did you?

Swirl marks suck.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:06 PM
1st Gear

Chef, have you tried the 3M? It's a very light cut product, similar to clearcoat preps and polishes. We use it with great success detailing black Porsches for concours events, usually followed by a Zaino polish. It's really good for getting rid of fine haze and swirls that show so much in black; makes the finish look deep and even. It's also not too picky about application technique. It's made for hand use.
This product is made for this specific use on dark clearcoat finishes. I've done this with claybar also; I find that claybar does a better job of removing trash and glassing the finsh, but is not as good at evening up the appearance.

David

Old 05-30-2006, 04:53 PM
SoCal Crew Member

i used Mother's claybar yesturday, it's great at removing sand and tree sap that was stuck on my car from months ago that i couldn't get out, but the claybar took it out,

although

it didn't take out the swirlmarks, sorry chef

i don't remember buying the paint protection, was it supposed to come with the car? or did i have to get it from the aftermarket?

where can i get the 3M?........ or should i just go to the body shop and redue a clearcoat?

Old 05-30-2006, 06:43 PM
1st Gear

I sure wouldn't be going to the paintshop yet; your paint would never be the same if you shot a new clearcoat.

You can get the 3M at any auto paint and body store, it's pretty common. Sometimes a place like Pep Boys or O'Reillys will have it.
If you're new to this kinda stuff, read the instructions well, and try it on a less obvious area of the car first to get a feel for the product. Try to use it under fluorescents, as they show up haze, scratches and swirls well.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:40 AM
SoCal Crew Member

i brought my car to the detail shop today so they can look at it, they said they can just buff it out for like 150bucks, no need for another clear coat, should i do that instead? but i'll try the 3M first.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:05 PM
1st Gear

Try 3M first but I would also stay clear of them to buff it out and definately dont go to the paintshop. What year is your A3.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:28 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Thanks everyone for the input, i brought my car to the detail shop, they just buffed it out for me, they also buffed out my fine scratch marks too, too bad not ALL the fine scratchmarks came out. they washed it...... 3 times, buffed it twice, waxed it twice, my car's shiney like a black diamond. check out the few pictures i put up.

i have an 06 2.0T by the way.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:46 PM

Hey,

Your car isn't that old. What happened to make it in need of such intense detail work? Are you rally racing or something? I know there was a post about flying an A3, but don't take it to heart! I hope you start treating that car with a little more respect mister. J/k

Cheers!

Chef

Quick Reply: Get out my Swirlmarks