Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

To Heat or Not To Heat

Old 02-07-2006, 11:19 PM
1st Gear
Default To Heat or Not To Heat

My wife and I just got a new 2006 Audi A3 and we have a question about the operation of the environmental system.

It seems like this car does not pump out heat in large quantities (high fan speed), no matter how far we pump up the temperature controls. Sure we can put it in manual and pump the fan up ourselves, but didn't feel like we needed to do that. Her previous car (Toyota 4-Runner) would only have to be set at 75 and the fan would blow out gobs of hot air. Temperature outside has been about 50-55 degrees during the day.

Also, driving home last night (43 degrees outside), I did finally get the fan blowing out hot air, but only from the left side driver vent (system in AUTO set at 75 degrees). The right side driver vent was not putting out anything. I have to assume that this Audi system is more sophisticated and actually can blow any amount of air out of any vent in the front seat and has a different temperature sensing system.

Anyone else find the behavior of the envirnmental system "different" than other cars they have had? Being new to Audi, I jsut don't know.

Thanks.

Old 02-10-2006, 01:44 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: To Heat or Not To Heat

I had a similiar problem, this time trying to get the climate controll to cool on "low". When the car was very hot inside, the sensors, that are situated at the bottom of the centre consol and above by the front cabin light, would take ages to read the inside temp, and then only would kick start the fan to full. I find that by re-directing to the middle vents and by-pass the auto helps. I had a chat with Audi and they say that with both high cooling or heating, it takes a while and then the climate controll is best after the inside temp has settled after about 20min.

Dunno about yours not blowing thru the side vents. Should always distrubute all around. Check the vents are open and the dail is not closed anti-clockwise.

Old 02-16-2006, 03:27 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: To Heat or Not To Heat

They do have a weird setup. If you want it to heat fast, just do it manually. It'll take you all of 4 or 5 seconds.