AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/)
-   -   HELP!!! A3 2.0 TDI 170 white smoke on idle... (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/help-a3-2-0-tdi-170-white-smoke-idle-219112/)

Jayroberts 12-05-2015 11:37 AM

HELP!!! A3 2.0 TDI 170 white smoke on idle...

Hello,

New to this forum and so bare with me on this one..

I've recently purchased a 2006 Audi A3 2.0 tdi 170 149k, since the day I bought it Ive noticed white smoke almost unburnt diesel smell when idling hot or cold, first i noticed the egr valve car cracked at the bolt to manifold, so i bought myself a new egr straight away hoping it would sort the problem but still About 6 cranks to start the car when cold and really lumps idle, Turbo lags/stutters from 2000 to 3000 rpm when engines warm in most gears so I tend to ease off the throttle to avoid the stuttering, Low MPG about 35/37 on average, guy i bought it off gave me a reciept from the year before showing cambelt and waterpump but not done by Audi, so i was thinking maybe timing being out a few degrees could of throws everything out, smoke etc.. also found out after trolling through google and the symptoms i'm having and decided to call Audi UK after reading about a fault with the injectors which was confirmed it has an injector recall in 2012 replaced them by Audi in Newcastle due to this model having the dodgy Siemens injectors apparently..so then I've been thinking could be injector seals or what have been reading is the tandem pump too but no signs of rising oil etc?!

Another thing after I decided to drop the antifreeze and flush, I noticed there was bits of greyish smoke from the exhaust side of the turbo when the car was warm :/ and then noticed a crack right threw the bottom of the air box for some reason, tried to tape it up shut and the car wouldn't start :/ took the tape off and it started thank f**k..

I have spoken to my local Audi dealership in north wales and to be fair they were really helpful on the phone and told me it would cost £60 for an investigation fee to see about these injectors and whatever else could be wrong, also free courtesy car, don't wanna get ahead of myself and there be a huge bill off Audi but before I go ahead I would be much appreciated if someone out there could narrow down what it the problem could actually be and send me in the right direction :)

Jayroberts 12-14-2015 05:23 AM

Update on this: was driving in the motorway this weekend was at about 65mph, and the car decided to die..:/ rolled it to the safest place and called breakdown..turns out the breakdown fella diagnosed it to be the timing tensioner -.- typical.. The cars in the garage now just expecting the worst but hoping for the best. hoping once this is fixed it will sort out the smoking issue I've been having and kill 2 bird with one stone..will report back as soon as I know what's going on..

andrewwatkins 12-14-2015 10:44 AM

white smoke is normally a sign of burning oil.......which means piston rings??

Jayroberts 12-14-2015 11:37 AM

Thanks for the reply..I thought white was unburnt Diesel/water, and oil was more of a blue tinge? Also haven't lost a drop of oil :/ also I thought id see blue smoke underload..

andrewwatkins 12-14-2015 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jayroberts (Post 1499184)
Thanks for the reply..I thought white was unburnt Diesel/water, and oil was more of a blue tinge? Also haven't lost a drop of oil :/ also I thought id see blue smoke underload..

Hi Jay
A white smoke is defo oil and given the milage I suspect rings. Easy enough to change tho. Good luck. Andy

Jayroberts 12-14-2015 11:51 AM

will hopefully get this sorted in the end! Thanks again!