AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/)
-   -   Help! Head unit/IPOD questions for new purchase (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/help-head-unit-ipod-questions-new-purchase-91356/)

mango 02-12-2008 03:16 PM

Help! Head unit/IPOD questions for new purchase

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and am about to buy a new A3 hopefully within the next couple of weeks. I hear poor things about the IPOD integration that Audi offers for $250, so right now considering other options. I've read practically every thread there is on this forum re the ipod, but I think I'm starting to confuse myself. Could someone help clarify the following:

1. If I go with the DICE option, do I need to have a 6-disc changer for it to recognize the IPOD as a "6th disc"? I was hoping to just get the basic stereo and install DICE. BTW, is it difficult to install?

2. Some dealer is offering me a hard to resist deal with the exact specs I want...with the exception of having the IPOD integration which I don't care for. If I get this car and want to add the DICE later, can I do that? Or will the wiring not work since the IPOD already exists?

3. I am also considering getting a new head unit altogether after reading one of the posts...because I really do want to be able to read song titles and artists names on the head unit. Is that possible? How is the sound quality from the IPOD? Does anyone have any recommendations, input, photos, etc that they can share with me? And can I install this if the car already comes with the IPOD connection?

Sorry for the gazillion questions. I hope someone could help! Thanks so much.

sumognat 02-14-2008 02:57 PM

RE: Help! Head unit/IPOD questions for new purchase

1. If I go with the DICE option, do I need to have a 6-disc changer for it to recognize the IPOD as a "6th disc"? I was hoping to just get the basic stereo and install DICE. BTW, is it difficult to install?
No, but you will not be able to use the satellite radio service since the DICE connector shares the same connection point. The only way to use both Satellite and DICE is to install a specially made harness behind the headunit and run wires from the satellite receiver in the hatchto the headunit. The DICE is not hard to install. You just need to pull out the headunit, which you can remove with 2 metal nail files. You do not need special radio removal keys to do it. I was able to pull out the headunit quite easily this way, just make sure you have another pair of hands around to grab the headunit as you pull it out with the nail files. To use the DICE, you just push the "CD" button twice--like you do for your pre-set SAT and radio stations.

2. Some dealer is offering me a hard to resist deal with the exact specs I want...with the exception of having the IPOD integration which I don't care for. If I get this car and want to add the DICE later, can I do that? Or will the wiring not work since the IPOD already exists?
Yes, it will work and some find DICE better than the Audi factory Ipod unit. DICE does have its limitations, but if you're ok with controlling song and playlist choices through the Ipod itself, rather than through the car's controls, you will find it to be adequate.

3. I am also considering getting a new head unit altogether after reading one of the posts...because I really do want to be able to read song titles and artists names on the head unit. Is that possible? How is the sound quality from the IPOD? Does anyone have any recommendations, input, photos, etc that they can share with me? And can I install this if the car already comes with the IPOD connection?
If you really want to go aftermarket with the headunit, I would forego the DICE and get an adapter that is specifically made by the headunit manufacturer for IPod use. I believe the display of song title information is possible on a couple of different units sold by Crutchfield. The sound quality from my DICE-Ipod connection is very good, no complaints here.

a3a3a3 02-14-2008 07:00 PM

I echo (almost) all of what sumognat says. Controlling DICE from head unit, or from steering wheel, isn't particularly easy. I, too, end up controlling it directly from the iPod most of the time. Sound quality is good, however.

One thing to point out...I didn't have to remove the head until to install DICE. The cable intended for the 6-disc changer already ran from head unit to back of the glove box. I just pulled out the small cubby in top left of glove box (where the changer would go), disconnected the cable from the clip holding it to the box, and connected the DICE cable to it. Simple enough. I did, however,have to cut a hole in the back of the glove box big enough to fit the cable through - dremel or utility knife will do.

Having said all that, my A3 is a 2006. Perhaps the "pre-existing" cable to the glove box doesn't exist in later models.

Hope that helps, and good luck to you.

sumognat 02-15-2008 10:37 AM

Yea, my car doesn't have the cable in the glovebox; cars 2007 and newer no longer have this, just the 06s. :)

mango 02-16-2008 02:39 PM

Thanks for all the input, guys. So yesterday I just placed a deposit on my 2008 A3 (the hard to resist deal that I mentioned). White with black interior, Premium package, IPOD, and bluetooth. I didn't really care for the latter two, but this was the closest one they were able to locate. I should get in around mid March. Will let you guys know how the installs go. Might have to bug you again if I run into anything. Thanks so much!!

West Coast Guido 02-16-2008 03:53 PM

All I know is that the Ipod adaptor for the A3/A4 is terrible on the 08's. No artist, song title scrolling. Waste of money but if it's on the car there is nothing you can do to take it out. Enjoy the A3

abentin 02-17-2008 12:29 AM

Question:

so in a 2008 A3 with Nav and CD changer am I able to hook up the DICE to the SAT input somehow and still keep the CD changer? or do I have to disconnect the CD changer and plug the DICE in there?

Thanks