Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Help - Possible Clutch Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:33 AM
Default Help - Possible Clutch Issue?

Hoping someone can help! I just purchased my first Audi (used 2006 A3 2.0T 6sp Manual, 21K miles) after driving Honda's for the past 21 years (CRXs, Prelude, 2dr Accord).

First noticed this problem when I tried to put the car into Reverse - basically I had to force the shifter into Reverse - way harder than seemed normal. There are times I couldn't get it into Reverse but if I put it in 1st gear - rolled it forward slightly - then tried to put it into Reverse it would go in no problem. The same thing happens when putting the car into 1st gear. Example: If I'm rolling to a stoplight - car is in neutral & clutch is not engaged. Light turns green - I push in the clutch then go to put it into 1st gear - I have to literally man-handle it - force it into 1st gear.This isn't an issue if I keep the clutch engaged the entire time I'm sitting at a light - it goes into gear perfectly but only happens if the clutch is dis-engaged - then re-engaged. It doesn't happen all the time....it's sporatic.

Another thing it has done is when I'm trying to get it into 1st & putting pressure on the gear but not forcing it into 1st - the car rolled forward slightly. When I removed the pressure it stopped rolling.

It's in the Audi dealer now for the 2nd time because I'm afraid I'm hurting something by literally having tojam/force it into 1st gear. The1st time the dealer couldn't duplicate it. Today I drove with the tech for 30 minutes & I couldn't get it to duplicate.

Anyone heard of anything like this?

Old 02-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Default RE: Help - Possible Clutch Issue?

Yeah, I've seen this happen in other VAG cars that I've owned. If it won't easily go into first gear, then slide it into second, then back into first. That is an "easy" way to work the gear box. Same with reverse, if it won't go in, then shift into first gear, and back into reverse.

It is much easier and quicker then it reads. Just take it easy and it will work much better.

Cheers!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:39 AM
1st Gear

I've had this happen to me in both my VW and A3... what you can do is shift into the gear position, but don't force it all the way, then ease off the clutch, it will pop into gear

Old 02-05-2008, 04:24 PM

Thanks Chef & Dawinger for the replies! CHEF: What is VAG ?

I know the other work around is to always keep the clutch engaged - goes into 1st no problems then -- but I'm still concerned that there is something wrong and if it's not addressed I coule do some other damage. I guess the good news tho is that at least it's documented at the dealer & I'mhappy that I didn't get a ton of responses saying 'yea it's a problem'. Sounds like because Reverse & 1st gear are straight cut ? it's designed to be harder going into those! I understand Reverse -- but 1st seems odd. THANKS for the help!

Old 02-05-2008, 10:18 PM

VAG = Volkswagen Audi Group

It'll be stamped on a lot of parts of your car. A VAG-COM is a computer program that hooks to your car to make ECU and engine management adjustments.

I see you're from Chicago, and your name is Wendy??? That seems to work together quite well. LOL

Go Bears!!!

Cheers!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:24 PM
1st Gear

listen to chef...i had this issue with my 90 honda civic......same exact thing...do NOT force it into a gear it doesnt want to go into...try another higher gear and then back to the original and it should be smooth as butter

Old 02-05-2008, 11:32 PM

THANKS everyone..........I appreciate your advice and will take action as soon as I get my car back from the dealer. I'm pretty certain they will say there's nothing wrong and from the sound of it -- there isn't. THANKS again!!

Old 02-06-2008, 12:09 AM
1st Gear

Been a proud owner in the VAG family for years from yearly VW hatchbacks to my A3 when computers starting getting involved with engine and transmission this problem has occurred. Its actually a prevention that the designed to prevent you from destroying the gears. If the car has had its clutch engaged and is still rolling it won't let you shift into 1st. (It will with force -BAD!) Its a great to prevent clutch damage. If your the type of driver that engages the clutch coming to a stop sign and doesn't down shift at all until starting up again you will run into the problem. Chef gave the best way to handle this.
"If it won't easily go into first gear, then slide it into second, then back into first. That is an "easy" way to work the gear box. Same with reverse, if it won't go in, then shift into first gear, and back into reverse."
This is a simple and easy way to fix the problem. It could also come from full and slight clutch engagement. Make sure you know the exact clutch point for your car and go past it every time. The only time you should go to the floor is at starting or a complete stop. With the slight change in your driving style you will find shifting easier and quicker.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:39 AM

Hi 4RINGSROD - I am only having this problem when the car is completely stopped. Not rolling at all.So I'm sitting at a light - clutch is disengaged & car is in Neutral. When I engage the clutch & go to put the car in 1st - occasionally - that's when I have to force it into 1st. I'm not rolling tho. I will try Chef's advice by going into 2nd and then into 1st and see if this makes it easier.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:01 AM
1st Gear

Most trannies have these issues 1 or 2 times out of 10, and Chef's advice is proper. When the car won't go into reverse, go into 1st or 2nd instead, let the clutch out enough to move things a bit in the trans, then try for reverse again.

Quick Reply: Help - Possible Clutch Issue?