Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Help! Quick IPod integration question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Default Help! Quick IPod integration question

I just got and installed the Grom Audio I-Pod adapter kit into my 2006 A3 (Concert II). It was a real breeze and goes to show you what a ripoff the dealer was to quote me up to 3 hours of labor to do a 15 minute job. Unplug the (unused in my case) CD changer cable and plug the I-Pod adapter plug in there, to one side, then attach the ground wire to the screw.

However, I have a couple of questions/issues: 1) I bought the needed radio removal tools; they snapped right into place under the radio control ***** and worked like a charm...but how do I get them out now? Jiggle to the left, the right? They're in there pretty tight.

Secondly, I noticed that the audio unit stays on even with the key removed...is this correct? Also, the steering wheel tuning buttons and ***** don't work with it, although the ***** on the unit and buttons on the Ipod still do. Lastly, instead of drilling a hole and feeding the wire into the glove box, I simply fed the smallish adapter through the narrow gap in the unit itself...is this arrangment ok?

Old 12-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Default RE: Help! Quick IPod integration question

Well, I managed to get the tools out...simply pressing the tabs like they say doesn't do it...you need to get a very small screwdriver and press the tab out of the tool's slot underneath.

Next up, routing the wire through the glove compartment, then out to the console. I checked out the DIYs, and I still haven't figured out how to get that tray out of the glovebox and I don't want to break it...

Old 12-15-2007, 04:36 PM
2nd Gear

1.) Ditto what phila said about using a small screwdriver to get the removal tools out.

2.) The head unit should only stay on if you turn the car off and then manually turn the head unit on. The next time you start your car and then turn off the ignition the head unit should go off on it's own. Also, I think if you leave the head unit on with the ignition off it will turn itself off after like 20 min. I could be mistaken though, I haven't used mine in 6 months.

3.) Yeah, I assume the gap you are talking about is the rectangular hole where the CD changer harness would connect? As long as the wire isn't pinched you'll have no problems.

phila- To get that glove box insert out, just work a flathead screwdriver under the lip and pry. You'll feel like you're gonna break it, but you won't. It just pops out, you may have to work around to pop each side free.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:59 AM
1st Gear

The glove box tray just pulls out. You'll see and feel the little clippy things on the sides (one on each side)

Old 12-16-2007, 11:24 PM

Thanks, I got the tray out and drilled the hole, everything's fine now. Really not difficult at all.

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2007, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

phila-
Please tell me how it goes and how you like the Grom. I have the Concert II as well and I'm getting sick of carrying around a stack of cd's. I looked into the Dice unit but it looks like the Grom is almost half the price. I checked into a local stereo place and they said it would cost $300 to do it. So installing the Grom myself looks really good to me. I have some questions for you and anyone else:

1. Does the Grom let you access the Artist/Albums etc. just like your regular ipod controls?
2. Did you have to unplug your car battery?
3. How much of a pain was it to install and how long did it take?
4. Would you or anyone else be willing to sell me the removal tool?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-17-2007, 03:44 PM
1st Gear

I have the GROM and love it. Installs in literally 10 seconds (plug it into your glove box CD changer cable) and you're done.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:43 PM
2nd Gear

1. I don't think any of the iPod interfaces let you browse by album/artist/etc. The car interfaces with the iPod as a CD changer, so it just sees the playlists as CDs and the songs as tracks on those CDs. I've seen at least one interface that will let you browse on the iPod itself though.

2. You don't have to unplug your car's battery, but it's always a good precaution when working with electrical systems. All you really have to do is unhook the ground cable and wrap a cloth around it (so it doesn't slide back onto the terminal).

3. If your car already has the CD changer harness in the glove box it shouldn't take you more than a few minutes. If not, you'll have to pop the radio out, still no more than 15 mins.

4. Check out http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...l/86_9001.html I got mine from them. I've ordered from them a few times, they're pretty good to deal with. That price is unbeatable, I doubt you could even get them cheaper on eBay after shipping. Keep in mind, if you have a double-DIN head unit, you'll need 4 tools (2 pair)

Old 12-18-2007, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for answering my questions. This is a big help.
Looks like I got myself a project for the holidays

Old 12-19-2007, 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: IzzyA3

phila-
Please tell me how it goes and how you like the Grom. I have the Concert II as well and I'm getting sick of carrying around a stack of cd's. I looked into the Dice unit but it looks like the Grom is almost half the price. I checked into a local stereo place and they said it would cost $300 to do it. So installing the Grom myself looks really good to me. I have some questions for you and anyone else:

1. Does the Grom let you access the Artist/Albums etc. just like your regular ipod controls?
2. Did you have to unplug your car battery?
3. How much of a pain was it to install and how long did it take?
4. Would you or anyone else be willing to sell me the removal tool?

Thanks in advance!
It doesn't let you browse albums or artists, but you can advance tracks within a playlist, and even change to the next 4-5 playlists, but you're better off doing anything other than changing tracks from the I-Pod itself. One pleasant surprise is that when you turn off the stereo or switch to radio, it pauses the I-Pod and unpauses when you switch back. The removal tool costs about $7, IIRC, so just order it with the adapter...you'll get the whole thing done in fairly little time for under $100.

I did notice a few issues, and I think they might be related:

1) As I noted before, the stereo no longer goes off when you turn off the ignition and remove the key. You must turn off the stereo separately.
2) Bigger issue: I just noticed the rear speakers aren't playing now...I read something about this, so I'm trying to find it again, but if anybody knows the fix, please let me know.

I'm wondering if one or both of the above has anything to do with the way the I-Pod adapter's connector only occupies less than half of the pins that the CD-Changer connector did. Perhaps they didn't send me the correct connector cable?

Quick Reply: Help! Quick IPod integration question