AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/)
-   -   Hitch Options (For a Bike Rack) (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/hitch-options-bike-rack-105190/)

KickMeInTheJunk 06-16-2008 05:41 PM

Hitch Options (For a Bike Rack)

Hey All,

I'm struggling to find a solution for toting a couple mountain bikes around with an A3.

The easiest solution, a trunk mount, is also the most risky for a lot of reasons but primarily the paint (black cars look awesome but show the teeniest ofimperfections). Proper mounting and cleaning of contact points will go along way to reduce the risk, but it's always gonna be there.

The next solution is a roof mount system, which also has it's cons: Price, risk of scratching and there's no way my g/f could load it herself.

I would love to have a hitch mounted system, seems to be the best of all worlds. Trouble is, the car is a lease so cutting the bumer is not an option (which is required for the Curt hitch). Extensive Googling has identified that a guy on another forum had no issues whatsoever installing a GTI hitch on an A3, unfortunately the post is a couple years old and there's not much info other than it takes '10 minutes' to bolt the hitch on. I would call hogwash, except there's a pretty good photo:

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/93621/new_046.jpg

The hitch is a Draw-Tite 24770. Does anyone have any experience with this hitch for the A3. This is pretty much the ideal solution except that I don't wanna spend $200+ on a hitch that doesn't fit (shipping to Canada ain't cheap).

Any insight would be much appreciated. All else fails, it'll be a Saris Bones RS and praying for no damage.

Thanks,
David

byrun 06-17-2008 01:49 PM

RE: Hitch Options (For a Bike Rack)

I checked out there web site and the hitch they recomend for the A3 is Curt Class I Hitch (Part Number:CT11192) There is a link for instructions but it is not working for me, so I don't know if it requires cutting the bumper.

hesaputz 06-17-2008 02:21 PM

I have the Curt hitch - 2" x 3" slot in the forward edge of the rear valance - pretty much invisible. Do a search for my pics.

evdog 06-20-2008 12:40 AM

I have the Curt as well. The cut is out of sight but that won't help you in terms of the lease. Check out this thread for pics and more info.

https://www.audiforums.com/m_453270/.../tm.htm#910056

One of the guys who posted in that thread claims he had the Curt installed without needing to cut the bumper. Maybe its possible if the hitch is installed as far forward as possible. For mine they could have got by without cutting nearly as much.

I asked the guy to post up pics so it might be worthwhile for you to email him - the post is not very old.

evdog 06-20-2008 12:47 AM

Do you live near the border? You will save a ton if you can have it shipped to a mailing service on the US side. When I lived in Vancouver I used to have stuff shipped to Blaine or Pt Roberts for a lot less than I would have paid to ship into Canada (often free).

Hitch-web.com includes shipping in the price - I paid $170 all-in, so you could pick it up, set up an appointment on the US side for the install. Then pick up a Thule T2 at REI for 20% off (buy a membership and wait til their 20% off 1 item sale is on), and pay no tax on the way back as you were just down to buy gas and do some sight-seeing for the day, officer.

panzrwagn 06-28-2008 10:59 AM

Great post.

The followinghas nothing to do with trailer hitches, and everything to do with silly border stops.

"Please pull over there, sir, and step out of the vehicle. Do you have any fruit or vegetables? How about receipts for all that hardware..."

Davewas a computer systems engineerwho carried lots of spares with him, mostly for older systems we rarely supported. I sent him from Seattle on a software installto Vancouver, warning him no clean out his car and that he was to say "Sightseeing" to the question.

As he was genetically incapable of either cleaning out his car or lying, he of course answered the question as "Business" and proceeded to spend the next 3~4 hours having his car searched, inventoried, and almost confiscated before I got the frantic call, andexplained to the officer, he was just doing a software installrequiring special knowledge that no Canadian citizen currently possessed.

When asked about all the hardware, I simply said that I thought his wife would appreciate it if you did confiscate it all. Which was a true statement. Customs returned it all.From then on whenDave had to go to Vancouver for an upgrade, he had learned to say "Sightseeing" regardless, and then would stop in Stanley Park (on the clock!) soit wouldn't be a complete lie.