Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

How-to: Install XM Roady2??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:05 PM
1st Gear
Default How-to: Install XM Roady2??

I have an XM Roady2 that I want to install in my A3. I don't have the Nav but I do have the iPod integration in the glove box (in case that matters any). Also, since there's no tape deck the only method I can figure to use is the FM transmitter that comes with the Roady2, but the sound quality is pretty crappy in general.

So, do the "Audi Concert" decks have rear inputs at all? How do I know if I have the "Audi Concert II" or is that what they call the Nav system interface?

Any other ideas how to go about getting my XM installed through the system?

Old 01-09-2008, 01:28 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: How-to: Install XM Roady2??

I have a 2007 A3 and I remember going to an audio place and they told me they could install XM for 100$ in the car but the steering wheel functions would be unfunctional so my guess is there is something to hook it up to back there.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:44 PM
1st Gear

Hm yeah, I don't need XM *that* bad to sacrofice my sterring wheel functions....

Old 01-09-2008, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: fusionx

I have a 2007 A3 and I remember going to an audio place and they told me they could install XM for 100$ in the car but the steering wheel functions would be unfunctional so my guess is there is something to hook it up to back there.
Did they say all steering wheel functions would be disabled... or just not being able to control the XM with them?

Old 01-09-2008, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

Ah good point, didn't think to ask that. I'd think all functions though since I'm talking about a stand alone unit just needing some form of audio input.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:33 PM
1st Gear

Spencer,
As an alternative to trying to install your Roady, you might want to consider installing the Audi specific XM radio module that will convert your radio to play all of the XM stations. The module fits neatly and easily in a drawer behind a small plastic door in your trunk. The advatage is that not only does your dash stay clear of extraneous "stuff", sound quality is much better than an FM transmitter type install and your steering wheel controls will work - as they do with your regular radio.
Alot of folks on this forum (including myself) have gone this route and I can highly recommend it. The modules come up for sale on ebay for around $100. in fact there is one for sale now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...44201&rd=1

If you decide to go this route check out this thread:
https://www.audiforums.com/m_622990/.../tm.htm#623115

Note that not all A3s are the same. Check the thread above -Some A3s mfg around 10/06 or earlier have the standard xm dualantenna leads. Later models have a single lead that will require a converter that can be purchased from Crutchfield for about $30. The link to Crutchfield is in the thread. Also A3s that have built in nav units apparently require a different module.

The install is surprisingly easy - check out this DIY blog that gives excellent instructions. It took me less time to do the install than it took to read the instructions!

http://mcdonst1.spaces.live.com/Blog...CA%21178.entry

Good Luck!

Old 01-10-2008, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

Great post, thanks a ton!

I'm watching that auction and will let you all know if that si the route I end up going, sounds easier for sure.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

So how do I figure my build date and which XM Tuner I need to use? I have an '08 with the following stereo setup: http://spencerjw.com/blog/?p=46

Old 01-10-2008, 06:31 PM
1st Gear

That is a different radio than my 07! I cant tell for sure if the xm module will work. But i'm pretty sure you will need the Crutchfield adapter.
Suggestion:
Open up the plastic door in your trunk. Carefully cut the plastic ties that hold the wires in their place and try to get a snap shot of the leads that would plug into the XM module. You can compare that to the photos of the back of the module that's posted on ebay. Pasted here albeit not that great.

The red and green plugs on the right are the antenna leads. I'm guessing you only have one - hence the need for the adpator.

At worst you would be out the cost of the module. The crutchfeild adpator could always be returned if the set up didn't work.
Having both a xm skyfi 3 in my acura (with the FM transmitter) and thisxm module in the A3,the sound quality difference alone is worth the risk! The sound isCD quality.

Good luck!

Old 01-11-2008, 01:04 AM
2nd Gear

You will definitely need the antenna adapter from Crutchfield for an '08.