Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

HR Springs Choice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Default HR Springs Choice?

I'm about to get my A3 2.0T lowered. I dont have the S-line, so my car sits a little too high. I contacted a local shop here in the SF bay area and they quoted me the follwing (+300 for labor). what would you do
Stage: Notes: Fr. Lowering Rear Lowering Price:
Sport Springs 1.3" 1.3" $242.00

Touring cup kit only fits 55mm front strut clamp 1.4" 1.3" $679.00

Sport Cup kit only fits 55mm front strut clamp 2.2" 1.6" $679.00

Coilover kit only fits 55mm front strut clamp 1.2-2.3" 1.0-2.0" $1200.00

RSS coilover kit Features stiffer spring and damper 1.5-2.3" 1.2-2.2" $1570.00
rates than standard coil-over.
Only fits 55mm front strut clamp.

I would highly recommend doing sway bars when you do some sort of suspension kit. It will really add to the performance of your car and you will really notice the difference. Here are pricing for you on that if you want. For suspension let me know what you would like to do, and also if you want recommendations let me know as I can help you determine what the best solution for you would be.

Sway Bar: Diameter: Adjustable: Price:

Front 28 Yes $236.00
Front 26 Yes $220.00
Rear 22 Yes/no $199.00

In regards to the rear bar, I have read that it is adjustable and others say it is not, so that is why there is the yes/no.
Let me know what you would like to do.

Any ideas? the coilover might be a little too expensive. Of the first three options what would you do? Should i get a sway bar too? i'm not racing the car, i'm just doing it mostly for looks and little better handling. however, i hear i might only need the RSB and that's only 200 bucks.

Thanks
Marco

Old 05-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Default RE: HR Springs Choice?

If you do only the springs, then you'll be replacing the shocks/struts after about 20k miles. I would suggest getting at least the cups, if not the coilovers. If you spend the money to do the install, then you might as well only do it once. BTW, the coilovers would last you the life of the car. You need to figure out on which end you want to spend your money.

Oh, you are better off keeping the stock front sway bar, and replace the rear sway bar with the Neuspeed.

Cheers!

Old 05-17-2007, 12:24 AM
1st Gear

I know this is probably the most stupidist question but you would replace all 4 wheel shocks with the coilovers right. You wouldn't do like a hybrid system with coilovers in the front and a new sportier suspesion of shocks and springs in the back? I know it stupid but if I don't ask it I'll be wondering it

Old 05-17-2007, 12:29 AM

The suspension would be totally mismatched. It just wouldn't work very well at all. Much better to spend the money on the coilovers. Besides, the best part of the coilovers is that you can corner weight and balance the car.

Cheers!

Old 05-17-2007, 12:34 AM
1st Gear

Sorry to be completely dump, but what do you mean by "you can corner weight and balance the car"?

Old 05-17-2007, 12:38 AM

The coilovers have a dial that spins up or down adjusting the height of the car as it rests on the springs. They put each tire on a scale and can dial in all of the corners so the car is balanced perfectly so it performs much better through turns. They will also put the equivilent of your weight in the driver's seat to get it absolutely perfect.

Cheers!

Old 05-17-2007, 12:55 AM
1st Gear

coilovers are definitely worth the investment. i've been able to dial in my suspension the way i want it.....height and dampening.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:54 AM
1st Gear

I'm going with HnR + Koni FSD (shopping for a good price atm). I want comfort and performance. For me, I know I'm too lazy to adjust coilovers even if I get the KW V3, so might as well save some $..

Old 05-17-2007, 02:25 AM
1st Gear

Looks like Nex has an A3 set that is coilover fronts w/ conventional rears - no explanation as to why.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:42 AM

Maybe Stryker will chime in with his HnR Springs. I know that he is now rubbing on the back, so I'll assume his shocks and/or struts are pretty toasted by now. Wonder how many miles it took???

Quick Reply: HR Springs Choice?