Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

I'm close to giving up on used A3

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:14 PM
1st Gear
Default I'm close to giving up on used A3

I have been looking for 3 solid months. At first, I was being cautious. Didn't want to jump in. So OK, my local Audi dealer and no used A3s in stock. They said, 'We can get you one.' Three months later ... none. They have not had a single used A3 in stock, and none on the horizon.

I'd like a certified A3, so I would like to get one from a dealer.

I have tried dealers as far as 200 miles away, and no luck.

So I have lately been looking at used and new GTIs with 4 doors and leather.

Then I wonder, would I regret not holding out for an A3?

Realistically, both the A3 and GTI are great cars, and both have pluses.

The A3 interior is what sold me. Ah well ...

Old 05-29-2008, 09:35 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: I'm close to giving up on used A3

I went through the same thought process before I ordered my A3. The GTI is certainly cheaper and there are more of them available. But....they are not an Audi. Audi's are built in Germany. Where is the GTI built? Do you want a car that is not on every street corner? Do Audi's attract better resale numbers? Why are none available? Perhaps because they are rare and/or owners keep them because they love driving them.

Good luck!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

There's one for sale here ( Tulsa) ifyou want me to track it down. '07 Black/gray, S - Line, 6 speed MT w/Open Sky. 10K miles.It was for sale at the Audi dealer here as a CPO, but the dealership was sold 2 weeks ago, and the used inventory went to the ex-dealer's brother's used car lot. Got it? Anyway, I can get a phone # if you're interested.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:53 AM
1st Gear

dvdre,

Certified (CPO) A3's are indeed infrequent. I stumbled on a 2006 2.0T in my favorite color combination and most of my preferred options here in Seattle last August and needed to jump on it immediately. (My competition was a finance guy at the dealership!) That dealer has another right now (May be the first CPO they've had since I bought mine!), and there's one in the local paper listed as "certified" even though not being sold by an Audi dealer.

Like most of us on this forum, I really like the A3 and would still choose it over a GTI. The GTI seems to appeal to a much younger audience, and there seem to be lots of complaints about VW interior rattles, but not so many complaints like that about Audis (not that the A3 is above criticism).

You might appreciate these long-term review articles from Road & Track on the A3:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=3442
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....;page_number=2
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....;page_number=2
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=4704
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=5068
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=5529

There are similar long-term tests from other sources, including some for the GTI (Car and Driver's, I think).

Old 05-30-2008, 02:35 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: canuckA3

I went through the same thought process before I ordered my A3. The GTI is certainly cheaper and there are more of them available. But....they are not an Audi. Audi's are built in Germany. Where is the GTI built? Do you want a car that is not on every street corner? Do Audi's attract better resale numbers? Why are none available? Perhaps because they are rare and/or owners keep them because they love driving them.

Good luck!
Mk V. GTi on every street corner? Where do you live? The new generation is built in Germany as well.

I'm lucky enough to have one of each in my garage. The GTi definitely feels 'sportier', with a throaty exhaust sound and stiffer suspension - even when compared to the sport package in my A3.

It depends on what you want - can't go wrong with either, IMO. If you're past your boy racer days, hold out for an A3. It's more refined, with an absolutely amazing interior - even more so when you consider its price.

On the other hand, if you prefer a more raw feel when driving - go for the GTi.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:58 PM
1st Gear

I looked for a month for a used A3.. All I wanted was Sline, DSG, and Open Sky.. Best I could find was $25K for an 06 with 35K miles and it was 400 miles away.. I bought a brand new 08 for $30,100.. Plus got 2.9% interest...

Old 05-30-2008, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

Cuski,I am of course exaggerating ("GTI's on every street corner"). I live in Metro Vancouver. I spend at least an hour a day outside a local Starbucks reading a book and looking at passing traffic. I would venture to say that I see 5 current model GTI's for every A3. I am sure this ratio is due largely to the fact that an A3 with no options starts at about $34,000. Add open sky, wheels and S Line and you are $40,000+.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:37 PM

Don't give up on the A3 if that is really what you want. It took me nearly two months until I found what I wanted. I was deadset on getting a CPO A3 myself but I couldn't find the one that I liked in a MT. At that time, I had started to give up and just get a GTI. A couple of months ago, I happened to stumble upon a new 07' that was still in stock; for a below invoice price. I had to travel 300+ miles to get the car but so far it's been worth it.

Perhaps your dealer look into the Audi database and locate a CPO that may be at another dealership. Of course, you'd have to pay for shipping but there is no reason why a "dealer trade" can't be considered to help you get a CPO.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:37 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: canuckA3

Cuski,I am of course exaggerating ("GTI's on every street corner"). I live in Metro Vancouver. I spend at least an hour a day outside a local Starbucks reading a book and looking at passing traffic. I would venture to say that I see 5 current model GTI's for every A3. I am sure this ratio is due largely to the fact that an A3 with no options starts at about $34,000. Add open sky, wheels and S Line and you are $40,000+.
Weird, the only place where I see a lot of GTis/Mk. V Golfs is Richmond. Not even regular Mk. V Golfs are that common - or at least not that I've noticed. At this point, as far as I understand, they're still seriously back ordered.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

There seems to be some new 07's out there because like Audifrau, I was able to purchase a new 07 less than a couple of months ago at (I believe) a great price. It may be worth the trip if you can find one.

Quick Reply: I'm close to giving up on used A3