Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Intermittent odd behavior with 2007 a3 radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 07:02 PM
1st Gear
Default Intermittent odd behavior with 2007 a3 radio

My radio / radio controls have started to act strangely in the following ways:

- Most of the time (but not always), the radio will not turn off when the ignition is turned off and the key is removed (previously, it always turned off immediately)

- Most of the time (but not always), the radio controls on the steering wheel will not affect the radio (won't change volume or station). These used to work all the time

- Occasionally (but much less often), the radio volume will spontaneously go up to at least 25 and if I manually lower it will go right back up again

The horn works and the controls on the steering wheel light up. I believe that it is an original radio, but has an add-on unit that was installed to provide an ipod interface and there is also an audio in cord for an android phone.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Does this sound like one problem or more than one unrelated problems? What would be some logical next steps?

Thanks.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:10 AM
2nd Gear

I wish I had an answer but I don't * wild guess is a bad Head unit.

Just replaced my HU with an Alpine exactly 12 months ago. I ripped the stupid apple connector out of the glove box and installed a USB connector there. I also bought a module that connects to the steering control wiring so that I can still change channels and volume. The only thing I'm missing now is the dash displaying radio information (no big loss). However I now have bluetooth connectivity, usb, mp3, etc.

I still have the original radio flying around including the apple module. If you live somewhere close to Colorado You can swing by and swap it out to see if that resolves your problem - otherwise maybe you want to buy a cheap replacement off ebay and see if that resolves the problem?
If you find that the HU is the problem - I would consider buying a new system. The factory setup really stinks.