Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

To nav or not to nav: that is the qustion

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 09:06 PM
1st Gear
Default To nav or not to nav: that is the qustion

Hi all,

I'm planning to purchase an A3 3.2 quattro in the spring, and the biggest creeping question I have is about the nav system. I tried going to a dealer to talk about it, to get the questions answered that I couldn't get off the dealer website, but the guy I spoke with wasn't terribly helpful. Guess it's to be expected. So, here I turn to the greatest knowledge database of all time, the internet ;-)

I'm on love with the A3, however the (seemingly) advanced nav systems found in todays Acura's have me wondering if Audi isn't selling us short. I want voice activation. I want real-time traffic. I want a nav/entertainment system that doesn't require taking my eyes off the road for 30 seconds at a time -- or a copilot -- to operate (thank you, iDrive). I want to plug in my iPod (although I'd be happy with an aux-in port really; no one seems to do iPod navigation right so what's the point, I may as well just play direct from the iPod)

So maybe the right thing to do is to buy an A3 without nav and have a third-party system installed. But here's where the questions start. The A3, like any decent car, has both stereo and bluetooth (handsfree phone) controls on the steering wheel. This is nice. Are these controls, and the stereo and bluetooth systems themselves, tied into the Audi nav or are they separate? Meaning, can I install a 3rd party nav or nav+stereo or nav+stereo+bluetooth and still have control on the steering column? Can the stock buttons be re-wired to a 3rd party system? Do the buttons only come installed when you buy the nav (I would think so), and so can you get them as service parts to add? Or would a 3rd party system come with its own, Audi-looking buttons? Do I buy the A3 with stereo, and bluetooth, but no nav? Or, do I buy it without any of those things and get it all as one complete 3rd party system? In this case, can the A3 come pre-wired at least to make installation easier? (I'm planning on ordering mine to get exactly what I want instead of picking one off the lot).

I haven't shopped any installation stores yet, as these days it feels like it's impossible to get impartial service for anything like this. I'm in San Jose, CA so would also appreciate any advice on quality, reputable places to take a brand new A3 into to get this work done. That said I'll take advice on a good dealer, too. The Audio on Stevens Creek is a nice place, but the guy helping me didn't seem that interested. Hate that. I mean, I realize a $40k A3 may be chump change on a lot like that, but it's a big deal to me! ;-) Maybe I just got the wrong guy, so again any suggestion on dealer and salesman would be great.

I'll also take any advice on the 3rd party system itself. Alpine has something that looks awfully nice, but not cheap (although probably not any more expensive than a stock system). But I haven't looked too deeply yet as I'm first trying to figure out if I need nav only, or nav+stereo, etc.

Another thought... what about portable vs. built-in systems? The thought of taking my nav with me when I travel and jump in a rental car is certainly appealing. Although I think I'd sacrifice that for a larger touch-screen that you seem to get on built-in's, but maybe you can get best of both worlds?

Thanks everyone. I know this is a rambler, but I'm just starting down this road so my questions aren't even fully formed yet.

cheers (and merry christmas!) from a soon-to-be A3 owner!

Old 12-24-2006, 10:03 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: To nav or not to nav: that is the qustion

I have to admit I love my nav system, there is nothing like it being built in to the car, I don't care what anyone says. Plus having the SD card slots & the bluetooth is great as well. I sometimes use the SD cards and sometimes my iPod (which was a breeze to install) - $69.00 for the kit + the keys to pull the 6 disc changer out.

Aestetically it really looks nice too. I personally think it all works well together, easy to jump between screens, use ofthe system & easy to input destinations - plus the Sirius stations are all listed nicely with a description of what is playing and favs etc. It is a nice size screen too! I think it would be cool to have a voice interface, but for the most part you can preset destinations in there and find from a list. There are a good number of options in there. You can find Audi nav systems on eBay and have it installed aftermarket, but I think that is a lot of BS to go through, I think if you have the choice in the beginning, why spend a whole bunch of time trying a custom install which could be problematic. I guess if you are spending 40k, whynot just spend a little extra cash for the nav. I do not know about making the steering wheel controls work with an outside system, I would assume it will.

I am not sure about real time traffic, but I would think it would have less to do with the system and more the service that is available to the car, but I don't know a whole lot about it. It would be great! As with any nav system, there are faults and they do not always give you the best route, especially if you know your area they may not provide the quickest route, but that is the same with any nav system.

If I were in your shoes and you consider the nav an important and useful feature, I would get it in the car. Have any specific questions let me know.....Good luck!

Old 12-25-2006, 12:21 AM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 12-25-2006, 12:53 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: playa256

The nav system on audi's is a step down from pretty much all cars made, IMHO. Comparing it to the Acura is like comparing the bodies of Carmen Elektra and the fat chick who lives down the street. Go for the third party one.
Since Audi is trying to sell you old technology see these Pioneer NAV units.
AVIC-D2 $1500 list
AVIC-N3 $1800 list
AVIC-Z1 $2500 list
I think this show's a little of what out there as far as NAV technology available.

Old 12-25-2006, 01:03 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: jbrx7tt

I sometimes use the SD cards and sometimes my iPod (which was a breeze to install) - $69.00 for the kit + the keys to pull the 6 disc changer out.

<snip>

I am not sure about real time traffic, but I would think it would have less to do with the system and more the service that is available to the car, but I don't know a whole lot about it. It would be great! As with any nav system, there are faults and they do not always give you the best route, especially if you know your area they may not provide the quickest route, but that is the same with any nav system.
Is this the Audi iPod interface? Does it show track info, etc on the car display, and does it let you navigate easily? I had a system from Monster once that only let you play the first six playlists... wow was that lame.

Traffic is something integrated with XM radio, AFAIK, and has to be built into the system. The ability to avoid traffic on the daily commute is huge to me.

Thanks
-Joseph

Old 12-25-2006, 01:04 AM
1st Gear

The nav system on audi's is a step down from pretty much all cars made, IMHO. Comparing it to the Acura is like comparing the bodies of Carmen Elektra and the fat chick who lives down the street. Go for the third party one.
Haha... I love the analogy. So any third party recommendations? I don't have Carmen's number <g>

-Joseph

Old 12-25-2006, 01:04 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: JohnS1

Since Audi is trying to sell you old technology see these Pioneer NAV units.
AVIC-D2 $1500 list
AVIC-N3 $1800 list
AVIC-Z1 $2500 list
I think this show's a little of what out there as far as NAV technology available.
I will check all of those out, thanks a bunch.

-joseph

Old 12-25-2006, 04:25 AM
1st Gear

Interesting SITE dedicated to Audi NAV. I'm also seeing some slightly used Nav Plus's on Ebay (pulled from A4's or A6's).

Old 12-25-2006, 04:51 AM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 12-25-2006, 05:21 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: JohnS1

Interesting SITE dedicated to Audi NAV. I'm also seeing some slightly used Nav Plus's on Ebay (pulled from A4's or A6's).
We're all against the audi nav system. Now he's looking for something from a 3rd party.
Right..enough big talk, what third party gear have you found that is adaptable to the A3? [8D]
BTW the link was related to the topic because of schematics and other documentation if you want to replace the NAV plus.
Ebay was interesting because a couple of folk were trying to sell theirs for $800. (consider Audi wants $1950)

Quick Reply: To nav or not to nav: that is the qustion