Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

New a3 owner please read

Old 04-03-2015, 12:23 AM
1st Gear
Default New a3 owner please read

Hello all I just purchased a 2006 a3 2.0t with the DSG transmission. It has 54000 miles on it and everything seems to work fine I'm just concerned because it's my first Audi and I've heard all sorts of horror stories but I couldn't pass up the car after I drove it. The trans feels different then anything else I've ever driven and I know it is different but I'm not sure if it's working how it should when I take off from a stop for example it almost feels as if it's strugaling for power I know this could be boost lag as well but it feels like it does when you take off in a manual in second gear just not as bad and I feel like it shifts to soon if im not giving it enough gas. Is this normal? Any input would be greatly appreciated I'm a Noob I know so bring it on lol. I just want some piece of mind that with strict maintenance this beast is going to last me. Thanks in advance

Old 04-03-2015, 01:13 AM
1st Gear
Default I have a4

I'm not sure of the A3 but I received a letter shortly after I bought my Audi about a lawsuit on the transmission but only if I had to replace it and I haven't but when I put my car in reverse it is precarious. Your Audi is low mileage and they are great with the low numbers you gave. I suggest putting in premium fuel as well as inexpensive fuel treatments every month. The Audi has a great engine that performs better when warmed up and regular full synthetic oil changes are given. I have an a4 with 140,000 and when I'm consistent with good fuel and oil changes she is great and I leave corvettes in the dust

Last edited by Ilovemyrissa; 04-03-2015 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:29 AM
1st Gear
Default Thanks

Thank you for your respone. that makes me feel better so a fuel treatment is ok in these I've always been wary about putting anything other than fuel in my gas tank call me paranoid but I've just never trusted it. How many miles did your a4 have when you purchased it and is have you had to fix or replace anything thing since you have owned the vehicle? I'm just curious to what i should expect

Old 04-03-2015, 10:27 AM
2nd Gear

I've got the 2007 but with a 6 speed manual. The engine is the same for both of us and there are a few things you should check since they didn't do a great job with our cars (which is why they only sold them for 3 years and changed a bunch of stuff in 2008). The FSI engine has a Cam follower that wears through very easily and when it does it can damage (or completely destroy) the High pressure fuel pump and the camshaft (the Cam follower sits right in between). This item only costs 50 bucks and is easy to replace but if the previous owner or the new owner forget about this part you are looking at a 1000 bill to repair/replace all the stuff. One of the first signs of a bad Cam follower and/or damaged internals is either power loss or miss firing - so check that ASAP.

Next thing which is not essential to driving is the AC. most AC's have not made it past 80k .. mine lasted only to 67k and others didn't even see 50k. If your has been replaced with a new one - you should be good but if you are running the original, start saving some money it will go sooner or later.

The only other things I know of is the carbon buildup and diverter valve issue. Both will results in power loss and eventually misfiring / check engine light.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

Ok cool thanks so as long as I am proactive I should have any issues then?

Old 04-03-2015, 06:19 PM
2nd Gear

That's my golden rule - be proactive and keep up the maintenance and you will be fine. I had this car for 2 years now and haven't run into any issues (except the AC dying). I keep up the oil changes every 3-5k, follow maintenance and check for any unusual behavior.