Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

New Audi branded extended warranty - "Pure Protection"

Old 11-09-2006, 05:55 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: New Audi branded extended warranty - "Pure Protection"

I always hate the fact that most of these extra decisions are put in your face at the time they are finalizing the purchase paperwork and you have to decide right then.

Yeah they are now charging $550 for the 4 year/50 K service plan, but that still isn't a bad deal compared to most service costs for first four years. The very expensive extended warranty plans throw me for a loop. $3000 more for a additional 3 years/50 k coverage is excessive IMHO. I bet most people will avoid this.

And of course there are the other little services such as paint protection (permaplate, 3M clear covers) that they will offer.

It adds up quick if you don't watch out!

Old 11-09-2006, 10:24 PM
1st Gear

FYI the Geico coverage is called "Mechanical Breakdown Insurance". Details look exactly like a Powertrain warranty. Usually max of 7 years /100K miles. Several Insurance companies offer it. It is not the same as the Vehicle Service Contract (like the 4/50K plan) or a Extended Warranty.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

I was told the Geico coverage applied to 'any major repair' and not just the power train. Let us know what you find out DCNY...

Old 11-09-2006, 11:34 PM
1st Gear

I bought my A3 about a month ago. They told me about both warranty's. I was going to delcine the $550 one but changed my mind right at the last minute. They're really good about making you seem like your going to spend a fortune at the dealer if you don't get it. They also pushed the notion that an oil change at the dealer with genuine audi parts is really the only choice, and other places wouldn't be able to reset the computer. I'm not sure if any of it was true, but they are sales people after all and I thought it couldn't hurt for routine maintainence.

As for the 7 year extended warranty, I was told that I can add that later. I figured I would wait and see what all you folks were doing about it. I don't drive too much as I live in NYC and use the car for local trips only or to escape on the weekends. Seems like that be more of a reason to do it, but who the heck knows. I figured I would see how the car holds up the first year and then decide.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:15 AM
1st Gear

You are correct that the last minute on-the-spot kind of pressure makes buying the warranty/maintenance not very fun!

The $550 maintenance plan was kind of a no brainer for me. I always have my cars serviced at the dealer in the first 4 years. If you tally up the cost, $550 is a fraction of the total cost. It's almost a co-payment by Audi.

The Audi Pure Protection 7 yr/100K kind of threw me in a loop, especially they said I have to buy it when I buy the car and not later. At the end, I'm happy that I bought it. It's the peace of mind. Also, Audi has to back it if they go under. Afterall, they put their name on it. It should also reduce the chance of finger pointing between Audi, the dealer, and the insurance company in the event of a claim. I'm sure it will still happen, but at least there will be no pressure to use aftermarket parts, for example.

The other benefit is that you can put the cost on the finance plan. I took advantage of the low finance rate special they were running last month.

BTW, I think it's BULL that they said you have to buy the plan on the day you buy the car. If you look at the Fiedlity branded plan, you can buy it before your OEM warranty expires.

Paul

Old 11-10-2006, 03:18 AM
1st Gear

Audi has put its dealers in a difficult position by no longer offering "free service" on its 2007 cars.
When we bought our '07 A3 I was kind of surprised that routine maintenance was not included. However, since I probably won't keep this car past its warranty period, I didn't opt for the $550 service coverage. Nor did I go for the expensive wheel/tire protection plan, the premium-priced Lojack, or the dealer-installed window-tinting.
While I don't mind bargaining with the sales guys, I hate having to sit through the finance person's pitch for all the very high-priced "extras" they try to sell you after you've made a deal to buy the car. A real time waster. And, since you can do most of the important stuff much cheaper on your own (tinting, Lojack install, etc.), it just doesn't make good sense to pay the premium rates at the dealer, even if you roll the costs into your loan.

Old 11-10-2006, 03:55 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Jefferson

I was told the Geico coverage applied to 'any major repair' and not just the power train. Let us know what you find out DCNY...
Just reread the Geico site, not that many details online but its appears pretty comprehensive!

Enjoying this topic, its good to find out what the dealer is going to throw at you when you sign on the dotted line.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:14 AM

has anyone gotten the service planfora new a3 lately?

one dealer i asked said it was $1000 and other said $700.

if you have gotten it lately, were you able to negociate the price?

it sucks, i really thought it was included. oh well...

gotta keep doing my homework before going to the dealer

Old 03-08-2007, 03:23 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: mikheil

has anyone gotten the service plan for a new a3 lately?

one dealer i asked said it was $1000 and other said $700.

if you have gotten it lately, were you able to negociate the price?

it sucks, i really thought it was included. oh well...

gotta keep doing my homework before going to the dealer
Hi Mikheil!
Your first 5k service is free, if you want to purchase a additional 4 year service covering the 15K, 25K, 35K, 45k service events then thats only $550 for 2007 Audi A3's.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

I was told when I got my car in January that I had 1 year or 12,000 miles to decide if I wannted to by the $550 service plan. If they told you you had toget it right when you bought the car I would just call and double check about it because I was told I could wait by two different dealers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Audi branded extended warranty - "Pure Protection"