Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

New owner of 98' A3 with a few issues...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 05:53 AM
Default New owner of 98' A3 with a few issues...

Hi Guys,

I have just signed up to the forums and look forward to becoming part of the community

I am the proud new owner of a 98' 1.8t A3 and am very happy with it! I have a few problems I wonder if anyone might have any ideas about though...

When I bought the car the battery had just been replaced as the car had been sat for a while and old one had gone flat, however the Halfords (doh!) "technician" they had replace it did something wrong and now the stereo doesnt work and the Airbag light is on.

I am sure Audi can fix the airbag light thing by plugging it into their computer so this is not a major worry.

With regard to the stereo I have checked all the fuses and they all seem fine so I guess I need to check one on the back of the stereo itself, do I just need two long thin pieces of metal to push in the slots at the bottom of the (Concert) stereo to release it?

My last problem has confused me a bit more, the climate control seems to have no effect on the temperature that comes out of the vents, I figured it might need a regas as when I set it to "low" with the snowflake symbol on the air didn't get colder (the engine revved up etc. as usual when aircon is turned on), but later I tried going the other way and turned temp to "high" also with no change to temperature (car had been running for 20 mins round town so shouldn't be a prob with being warm enough). I wonder if this could be related to the new battery etc. and may be fixable with the Audi computer thing or if there is something else wrong? I am a DIY noob and know little about fixing cars.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Old 05-03-2006, 07:28 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: New owner of 98' A3 with a few issues...

man i didnt even think thay made A3's then

Old 05-03-2006, 10:15 AM

A3's started in 96' I believe

Old 05-03-2006, 10:24 AM

you need it VAGed, when they removed the battery they should have used a memory stick in the ciggy lighter so they have zapped your computer settings which also zaps the A/C setup, HalfordsD] topical bunch of wannabees and no brains I would make them pay to get it sorted they are after all supposed to know what they are doing

Old 05-03-2006, 11:26 AM

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

Seems garages in Cirencester are all busy for weeks! have to take a day off work I reckon and get it sorted elsewhere I need to get stereo working, only a few minor squeaks at 8 years old and 78k miles but with no other noise they start to seem louder and louder....

Old 05-10-2006, 01:41 PM

Hi again, just to update anyone who's interested...

Swindon Audi (UK) are a good bunch, did my car this morning VAG'd it, fixed the stereo (broken fuse at back), regassed the Aircon and put dye in it to check for leaks, replaced broken rear wiper and washed/hoovered the car for £89 all in. Not bad I reckon for a main dealer, got tea and paper to read while waiting too all done in 1 hour...