Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Newb Looking to Buy an 06 A3 2.0T DSG...Have Questions??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Default Newb Looking to Buy an 06 A3 2.0T DSG...Have Questions??

Hello everyone. I'm a newb to the Audi scene, but I've been looking at getting a new car. I've narrowed it down to either a used 2006 A3 2.0T DSG with 14K miles on it or a new 2007 MazdaSpeed 3 model.

I found a really nice 2006 A3 2.0T DSG model at a local VW dealer. The car has had only 1 owner from a lease and has a perfect carfax report. The car has about 14,800 miles or so on it. The dealer is asking $23,900 for it.

The problem is, they don't have the original window sticker and the sales guy, very nice, didn't know much about the Audi A3 models, as it's a VW dealer and they just sell a lot of Pre ownded Audis. It has the Sky roof, Leather interior, Xenon headlights, Auto on/off Lights, Homelink, and a power driver seat. It also has fog lights. Besides that, I don't know what packages it has. How do I tell if it has the Bose system, it looked like the standard one to me, no NAV of course. Also, how do I know if it has the Sport package or Premium package? It has the 16 spoke 17" wheels on it, not the 5 spoke ones. Do these cars have Rain sensing wipers as well? Lastly, the door handles had aluminum trim on it, but the sales guy said it had both the Sport and Premium package, who knows.

Any help you guys could provide, would be greatly appreciated! Is $23,900 a fair price for a 06 A3 2.0T DSG with the options above fair? I like that it only has 14K miles on it as the warranty should be good for a while.

Thanks again and the DSG was the best shifting auto tranny I've ever driven. Makes me think twice about that 6spd MT in the Speed3.

JP

Old 09-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Default RE: Newb Looking to Buy an 06 A3 2.0T DSG...Have Questions??

The 16 spoke wheels single color/Premium or dual color/Sport. Power driver's seat is Premium I believe. 2 year old car, low miles, free maintenance for the 15k, 25k, 35k, and 45k service, warranty time remaining, and about $10k under original price . . . sound like a winner to me. DSG is a blast, but I am thinking manual next time . . . but I do like the DSG alot.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:25 AM

Agree, sounds like the Premium Pkg.

About 2 months ago, I purchased basically the same car...2.0T DSG Premium Pkg, xenon, homelink, base audio, rain/light sensors, minus OpenSky Roof. It is fantastic - great to drive, built quality typical of Audi, better milage than I expected. Couldn't recommend it enough.

Sport package (but not the Premium package) will have alumium trim on the front AC vents. Also, I think if you have auto headlights then you'll also have rain sensor wipers - I think both in the Premium Pkg for 2006 model year. I also like the fact that standard maintenance is covered during the warranty...this was made an option in 2007.

I agree with azocean, DSG is lots of fun, but not without its quirks...some of which I'm still learning (after couple months). Still beats the pants off any regular auto I've driven.

Sorry I can' offer any advice on price...I'm in Canada. Car prices here are ugly compared to US. For my 2006 A3 (with 10,000km...about 6,000mi) I paid about $32K before tax. I'm kicking myself for not importing one from US.

Good luck.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:31 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: a3a3a3
I agree with azocean, DSG is lots of fun, but not without its quirks...some of which I'm still learning (after couple months).
What quirks would those be?

Old 09-28-2007, 02:17 AM

Just certain situations where it is less responsive than I would expect - I assume this is typically when the alternate clutch is setup for an upshift and I'm expecting a downshift (or vice-versa) - almost like its confused about what to do for a split second longer than normal. Only other complaint is drive ratios in 'Drive' (ready "granny") mode...upshifts too soon. Oh well...'Sport' mode is the answer for most city driving (despite the fuel efficiency issue), so shouldn't complain.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:10 AM
L7
1st Gear

Definitely a 'premium'. The price is decent and the mileage is low. Plus, it's still covered and you'll have the maintenance covered when you go to an Audi dealership.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:24 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies and information. I forgot to mention it also had the Trip computer as it showed how many miles I had left on the tank of gas.

The AC vents did have the aluminum on them and as I've said, the door handles and inside doors had the aluminum accents as well. Not sure if the wheels were single or dual color as it was dark out and then started to rain.

I loved how the car drove though and the tranny was really cool in my opinion. I commute a lot, about 60 miles per day in DC traffic and the auto is nice to have.

Do you think if I offer $23,500, would be fair? I actually looked up the blue book value on kbb.com and they have it valued at 27K for dealer msrp.

Thanks again everyone!
JP

Old 09-28-2007, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

Regarding price: Last month I purchased the Certified Pre-Owned 2006 A3 in my sig for $26K( KBB was $27K). No Xenon headlights, but it does have Bose stereo with Sirius, and the Convenience and StoragePackages. Not sure what the effective value of the CPO warranty is, but I'm covered for a total of 6 years or 100K miles. So I'd say the asking price sounds good.

the sales guy said it had both the Sport and Premium package
Not possible. Its one or the other, and all indications are that the one you're looking at is Premium. Premium lacks the Sport suspension (lower and stiffer) and seats (manual adjust, both sides). There are advantages and disadvantages with either package.

I don't know what packages it has
You can get a pretty good idea of the various packages by going to the Audi USA website and "build your own" to see what the various packages are and include. The 2008's are slightly different then this 2006, but you'll be close.

How do I tell if it has the Bose system
The front door speakers have aluminum trim that says "Bose." Be glad if you don't have Bose. It has some quirks that are somewhat irritating, and even my salesman said that the sound quality is not much different then non-Bose.

I'm enjoying my DSG (previously a manual-only guy), but agree that there is some learning to drive it most smoothly. If you're driving 60 miles/day in DC traffic, the DSG will be great.

It's great that the 2006 A3s all have free service through 50K. Be sure to get the 15K service (and all the rest) done. Those turbos need nice, clean oil!

Old 09-28-2007, 11:46 AM

Thanks again for the info. I did look on Audi's website and as you all have mentioned, it seems that the 06 A3 i'm looking at has the Premium Pkg with the Convenience pkg and Xenon and Sky roof. I think i'm really hooked on it as I loved using the paddle shifters and when I'm in traffic I won't have to worry about shifting as I do now with my current MT car.

I think I'm going to offer them 23,500 and see what they say. I wish it was at an Audi dealer, but I looked at a few Pre owned A3s at the local Audi dealer and they all want at least 27K if not more for them.

Thanks again, and I'll be deciding this weekend!

Plus I've even started to look at mods like the intake, exhaust and chip!! lol.

JP

Old 09-28-2007, 01:58 PM
L7
1st Gear

Wait a sec. You said DC traffic. Are you purchasing in Maryland? Cool. Another A3 for me to keep my eye open for. Also, you're saying it's not an Audi dealership. You may want to start at 23K and see what they say. If it's got the original Pirelli P6's on it - point that out as a minus and immediate expense you will have to deal with. Overall - even compared to BMW's - I have no regrets with mine.

Quick Reply: Newb Looking to Buy an 06 A3 2.0T DSG...Have Questions??