Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Newbie Questions: DSG Issue and Suspension Noises

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:41 AM
1st Gear
Default Newbie Questions: DSG Issue and Suspension Noises

Hi All,

Newbie here. Just bought a 2006 A3 3.2 Quattro S-line with 68K kms this week. I am pretty happy with the car except for a couple minor things:

1) I am not sure if my A3 has the DSG problem or not. However, my A3 is a bit unpredictable when taking off from a full stop. Sometimes it went smoothly and sometimes it did not. I did read quite a bit about the DSG control module issue in the forum. My A3 will occasionally exhibit somewhat of a rough start, but I have no clunk noise from downshifting. The previous owner(s) had not had any work done on the DSG.
This is what I have experienced so far: If stepping on the gas pedal slowly, the car will take off smoothly but slowly… If stepping on gas somewhat aggressively, the A3 will have a split second delay and thrust forward. Is this normal for the DSG? I have not tried to gun it yet so don’t know what it would do under full throttle.
I wonder if the other owners who had the DSG issues can describe the symptoms in more details.

2) The A3 suspension / shocks are making quite a bit of noise when going through rough surface, bumps, drive way, etc. It is worst in the morning when the car was cold. Is this something that can be remedied by lubricating the joints? I had older cars before and none squeaked so badly. This A3 is a “S-line” (Canadian Spec.) but I found the suspension is quite soft. I am not sure if it was tuned any harder to compensate for the additional weight of the V6. Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Old 04-26-2010, 11:37 AM
1st Gear

I think when you slowly apply the gas, the slowness of your foot's transition from brake to gas has given the transmission time to slightly engage the clutch so it would go into creep mode, hence it is more or less engaged, but when you suddenly go from brake to gas, the DSG did not have time to pre-engage, hence the notice of delay