AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/)
-   -   Opensky screens (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/opensky-screens-67918/)

lavadrifter 06-30-2007 11:00 PM

Opensky screens

Does anyone know if there are aftermarket opensky screens available for the A3? Specifically, ones that let less light through? When it's over 100 F in the summer, it would be nice to be able to shut out more sunlight.

Chef 06-30-2007 11:27 PM

RE: Opensky screens

I agree. My option is to have it tinted much darker. Let me know if you find another alternative. I definitely can't have this car in Texas without more covering the Open Sky.[&:]

Cheers!

stryker 07-01-2007 02:15 PM

Go to home depot and buy a roll of blackout material for house holds, cut to size and place between glass and screen. That is all i was able to do for mine. That keeps about 90% of the direct heat off of you.
There is a company that made a after market screens for the mini coopers, but spoke to them and they have no plans for our cars, bummer.
Make things worse i shave my head the heat up there is unbearable.[:@][:'(]

Tinting is a good option but does not block the heat from the glass itself a barrier between the glass and screen does the trick the blackout material will trap the heat up there, and let the a/c do the rest.

p.s. send me your thank you later in the form of a fmic by forge, and thank you in advance.

lavadrifter 07-01-2007 05:27 PM

Thanks for the tip stryker. Are you fastening the material to the screeen, or just letting it lay on top? It seems this would not allow for the screen to be retracted. On my way to Home Depot now for some material. If it works as well as you say, I'll consider that thank you request! Heh. Not.

aoh35 07-01-2007 10:03 PM

Stryker, can you post pics of what you did? I am about to buy an A3 and am worried about the sunroof as well. Colorado, with its high elevation, can be unbearable when it's sunny and hot.

will33184 07-01-2007 10:19 PM

had mines tinted today with 12% tint (1 above limo) worked out very well without decreasing the visability outwards

heat is significantly reduced

stryker 07-01-2007 10:50 PM

The material is not fastened, that would prevent the retracting of the screen. imagine placing a large sheet on top of the screen with the glass retracted to enable you to get in between the screen and glass area. If you ever while driving want to remove the material slide your hand up there on the side and pull gently on the black out piece and tuck it away.

I haven't tinted mine because two people have told me that tinting the glass could also crack the glass when and or if the tint material shrinks.
My two sources were my salesman and the tint guy who i have brought my last six cars i've owned to.

Now there are plenty of guys who have tinted there glass and have had no problems. I just think if i can not only block the rays but also keep the heat from the glass off of me i have solved my problem IMO.

lavadrifter 07-02-2007 02:50 PM

Stryker > the front screen worked like a charm. It was 105F the day I installed it, so testing wasn't a problem! The back screen, however, is a bit tricky. Not being able to set the fabric in from the open top means having to work it in from inside the car - still workin' on that. Anyway, a good solution until someone comes up w/ a more opaque screen. Thanks again for the tip.

stryker 07-02-2007 08:43 PM

Happy to help.

drumdork03 07-03-2007 11:32 AM

My 15% tint works like a charm. Not totally blackout, but enough to reduce the heat.