AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/)
-   -   The Perfect Balance = Audi A3!!! (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/perfect-balance-%3D-audi-a3-70827/)

smarsenal 07-30-2007 10:31 PM

The Perfect Balance = Audi A3!!!

Wow, I gotta say, It has been some time since I have driven my A3 (2.0T DSG), and I might just be driving it more in the near future. My wife has been driving the A3 to work, and I have been driving my modified Mitsu Evo IX. Well, I drove the A3 again for the first time in a long time today, and I am wanting to take it as my daily driver. Sure the Evo is balls out power and performance, but the A3 was just a pleasure to drive again!!! If only I could trust my wife with the Evo (Hmmmm, Nahhhhhh!!!). Anyways, It's nice to realize once again what a nicely balanced car the A3 is. BTW, MotorTrend has nothing but nice things to say about the A3 in the newest issue (nice article). Later, just got inspired about Audi and had to express it.

http://www.corelineracing.com

Jefferson 07-31-2007 02:27 AM

RE: The Perfect Balance = Audi A3!!!

Very Cool. Always good to share. I really miss my A3 and have to wait a long time before I can drive one again.

I wanted to ask... do you have the s-line package on yours? How does this compare to the cornering of your EVO? Does the ride feel harsh at all in the A3? Or do you just drive it short distances and it doesn't matter to you?

Which car would you take on a thousand mile road trip?

smarsenal 07-31-2007 04:39 PM

- No S-line package, just APR Flash.
- Cornering is nice, but not close to what the Evo can do. The steering feel is very detatched compared to the Evo, but you also feel every little bump in the road with the Evo too. The cars are not really close as far as power and accelleration either. However, I would take the A3 on a cross-country trip over the Evo 100 out of 100 times!!! I once drove a 3 hour trip in the Evo and my back was sore for the rest of the day.

ChrisF1 08-01-2007 12:08 PM

smarsenal: I would echo the same comments. I have an S-Line DSG 2.0T for my daily driver and a similarly modded EVO VIII. I love both cars and feel they're the perfect balance of daily driver and track star.

While I like the steering of the A3, when I get in my wife's car or the EVO, I notice how soft and uncommunicative the A3 steering is by comparison. Almost makes me wish I'd bought an '06 A3 so I could adjust the steering. Almost. I love the split fold downs in the A3 as does my labrador retriever. The Nav, bluetooth, Bose all make for a really nice comfortable package.

Do you track your EVO?

Jefferson 08-01-2007 12:28 PM

So Chris,

You are saying the daily driver of the A3 with the S-Line package doesn't leave you feeling sore by hitting the bumps all day? I thought that was what you were saying, but then you mentioned the EVO feeling like mush. I thought the EVO was a pretty tight car...but I've never seen one.

Really interested in your guys opinion as we've struggled with the S-line vs. Premium suspension. We go on long road trips, but I also plan on taking it to the track on occasion. I'm sure we'll be fine with S-line... right? ;)

ChrisF1 08-01-2007 12:45 PM

Sorry bout that Jefferson. Just re-edited my post to make it more clear. Need more coffee :)

For perspective, my EVO is on Moton coilovers which are a tad firmer than the stock suspension. The S-Line A3 is soft by comparison. My wife also really likes the A3 and enjoys the ride (her car is an IS350 sport).

As far as the S-Line vs. premium, I test drove both cars and it only took me driving the premium for about 50 yards to confirm that I wanted the S-Line. The premium suspension felt very uncontrolled and bobbley (if that's a word). The S-Line is firmer and more controlled and a much better balance. Again, this is all relative as my past several cars were all pretty firmly suspended (EVO VIII, STi, WRX, M Roadster, RX7-TT). My best advice is to take long test drives in both cars. It's really the only good way to be sure it suits your needs.

Jefferson 08-01-2007 01:46 PM

Thanks Chris, I need more coffee too! I said that I hadn't seen an EVO above...when I meant I'd never ridden in one or driven one.

This is good info, you've helped confirm my decision and I'm ordering the S-Line today. I did happen to take an extended drive in an S-Line in 2006 that was awesome, then when I came to order my car several months later I test drove another one and had a bad experience. It was terribly bumpy.But in retrospect this second car was a used car, probably had different tires, and probably overly inflated, not to mention a bad road to compare it too. I went with the premium at the time, which we've enjoyed on long road trips for the past year, but I've really missed some good cornering and had been looking at suspension mods.... until my car was stolen and totaled earlier this month....

I also plan on taking this car to the track on occasion and entering a few local SCCA events. S-Line will be great! I've previously done this with a couple of Acura Integras... One a 96 GSR Sedan, and then a 2000 Type-R limited.That R was a fun car, but talk about bumpy!!!It was a go-kart...and not fun forlong road trips. (which it wasn't built for anyway)

ChrisF1 08-01-2007 02:57 PM

Jefferson: Best of luck. I think you will love the S-Line. I don't drive mine that hard, but the handling is pretty good. I just think the stock tires suck. When the time comes, I'm looking at a stiffer sidewalled, stickier tire like the EVO Advan A046 or the STi Bridgestone RE070. Both can be found as takeoff's for very reasonable prices.

BAMF 08-01-2007 04:32 PM

I am half way through a 2000+ mile road trip with my A3 right now and I couldn't be happier. My only compmlaint is the lack of lumbar support, but I brought along a small pillow from my couch and that has helped put when my back starts to get uncomfortable. I am riding on standard suspension (for now;) ). Anyways, as I was cruising up the highway, I was similarly re-inspired by what an excellent car this is. In every way, I don't see how anyone could be unhappy with this car. It is sporty, yet discreet and practical; quick and powerful, yet economic; it hugs the corners, yet it rides smooth when you are taking it easy. Maybe I should go get a job with Audi's marketing team, lol.

I researched different cars for the better part of a year before buying my A3, and I don't think I could have made a better choice.