Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

How much did you pay for your tint job?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 01:23 AM
2nd Gear
Default How much did you pay for your tint job?

I know the tint topic has come up multiple times, but I read through and there wasn't any discussion of cost. How much should I expect to pay for a good tint job? What should I look for/expect from a good tint job? I'm a perfectionist and very detail-oriented, so I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much. I've just seen so many tint jobs that look like @ss a year later, if not the day they come out of the shop. Is it reasonable to expect to get the back glass all done in one sheet? (as opposed to strips) Does anyone apply tint in such a manner that you don't get the non-tinted strip along the top edges of the windows? Will I be able to find a shop that will do this level of work but apply tint that may not be so legal in my state (20%)?

Does anyone have any experience with 3M's clear tint (it's like 97%) that blocks UV? It's made to be applied to the windshield.

Stryker, I really like the reflective tint on your car, but I've rarely seen a car 'in the flesh' with that tint that looks good, usually it looks old/pitted/faded, you name it. How long have you have yours? Does it still look good? I'm going off of the pic in your sig, which I'm assuming was taken right after you detailed the car. Does it still look good after a couple days of rain?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Old 11-30-2007, 02:49 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: How much did you pay for your tint job?

I'm not sure what state you live in BAMF, but I live in L.A. and just drove down to the Downey area to get a steal of a tint job.

I have brilliant black so I wanted dark tint - I ended up getting 5% in the rear and rear passenger windows and 20% in the front side windows. Came out nicely and came with a lifetime warranty.

The best part? I went with my roommate who also tinted his car, and we talked the guy into tinting for $100/car. It's been a year, and the tint still looks great.

I know you're wondering about price, so I think this is definitely the rock bottom of how cheap it can get.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:48 AM

I paid $160 in East L.A. I thought I got a deal, but $100?? a la chingada!

Old 11-30-2007, 09:00 AM
1st Gear

I got mine tinted by recommendation at a place on Beach Blvd near FCCJ South Campus (clear Impressions) and they did a pretty good job for the most part. They will do it to your satisfaction no matter how many times it takes. I think I paid around $150 without the front window strip. They did the back window in one piece. You are more than welcome to check mine out since you live here in town. PM me if you want to come check it out.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

I got mine done here in OKC for $97 (but I know the shop mgr so I got a hookup). It would have normally been just under $200. My price also includes a strip on the front windshield.

My back glass is done all in one strip.

I would say for for a upper-mid grade tint (product) plus labor, you should expect to pay at least $150 on the low side. If you want to go with a high grade tint, you will probably be looking closer to $300 (or more).

Old 11-30-2007, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

Got mine done for $180 here in MA from a reputable place. I had to make an appointment a week in advance. Make sure you goto place that will back their product, ie. lifetime warranty. Also make sure you check over the tint job carefully yourself and convince them to redo a window should you find too many inperfections. I got mine to do 2 windows over again. I got 35% all the way around except the front windshield to keep it legal in MA. I forget what tint they used but it was same japanese brand and they assured me it was top of the line. It was either that or the reflective one Stryker had but that would have cost $280.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

where in mass? Looking for a spot myself

Old 12-06-2007, 02:47 AM
1st Gear

I got my done by the dealer using V-Kool brand tint. They even came to me to do it! Love that Taiwanese work ethic! My old car had 3m tint which was ok, but I have noticed the V-Kool is a) cooler (gets hot here!) and b) clearer. No distortion regardless of sun angle etc. If you are tinting, I just suggest trying out the tint darkness because the cars come with some degree of tint already, so it can be a bit darker than you might expect...which may break laws, or make parking at night a little trickier!

Oh, and in Taiwan, tinting comes with the price of the car. (which is probably close to double what you guys in the States paid! ouch! )

Old 12-06-2007, 04:35 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was looking to spend $200-250, so it sounds like I will be able to get a decent job done for that. I'm still debating whether to pay someone or attempt it myself. Tint rolls are pretty cheap, so I figure if I try it and it comes out horrible then I can just peel it off and take it to a pro.

I may take you up on your offer, converted. It looks like I'm probably gonna put all of this off until the beginning of the year, but I appreciate it and I may hit you up in a month or two. I've got a few other expenses that are higher up on my list at the moment.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:01 AM

Good luck on doing the tint yourself if you haven't done it before. Might as well take the money you'd pay for the tint roll and flush it down the toilet, then go have a professional do it. I paid $175 for mine from a great shop and it still looks awesome. Perfectly trimmed so that you can't even tell there is a film attached. I was waiting for the open sky, but now that I'm moving to Texas, I'll have that in a 20% tint too.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: How much did you pay for your tint job?