AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/)
-   -   Possible problem with DSG (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/possible-problem-dsg-122826/)

darko00 01-14-2009 06:50 PM

Possible problem with DSG

Hey guys, I am somewhat new to the forums so please if you can help me out in any way with my question, I would greatly appriciate it.

I have an 07 A3 2.0T S-line with DSG. Recently I noticed some issue with my tansmission which did occur before but not as much. Upon very light breaking, meaning if you are slowing down for a light and you start to berak raelly early so you would barely be touching the brake pedal, the car wont shift down to first until I reach a complete stop. At that point the RPM needle dips down to about 750 - 800 RPM and goes back up to about 900 - 1000 where it idals. When that happens, (The downshift to first) car jerks and engine starts to cough a bit like it was gonna go off then it goes back to normal running. Also during the downshift when the read out changes from 2 to 1 the whole bottom portion of display where gear are listed blinks really quickly. Now the jerk is really apparent since I am standing in place when this happens. It happens quite often as well. Almost every time I brake lightly to a stand still. If I break harder or as I do normally this doesn't happen. I recently began breaking really light in order to see how often this problem occurs, and it does almost always. Now this only happens when the car is in D. In S or manual this is not an issue at all.

Anyone have this same issue or know anything about it. I wanna get some info before taking it over to Audi. My tech guy is real pain in the ass to deal with. Everything is always fine for him when its not, and I have to always argue with him about these things. I wanna get some facts before I go on my crusade. LOL

Thanks.

Site_Administrator 01-20-2009 05:59 PM

I have the same exact problem I hope someone answers our question.

4RINGSROD 01-20-2009 11:54 PM

My suggestion if your under warranty just take it in it could be a computer problem that needs to be updated to fix it. Thus fixing the sifting points. Defiantly take it in

panzrwagn 01-21-2009 12:51 AM

Your comment "Now this only happens when the car is in D. In S or manual this is not an issue at all." indicates it is not a mechanical problem, but a software problem. S and M (no pun intended) are software modes, and that the problem doesn't exist there, but only in drive (another software mode) rules out the transmission itself.

Computers can only do what they are told to do. The question is, "What have they been told to do?"

Take it in, and use that quote on your PITA tech guy.

cuski 01-21-2009 04:19 PM

DSG is an adaptive transmission, meaning after a while shift points will change to adapt your driving style. If anything changes, you might need to have them reset.

I don't have DSG, but if I recall correctly, the reset method was to turn the key to on position (engine off), and press gas pedal all the way to the bottom for 10 seconds.

Site_Administrator 01-25-2009 03:51 PM

hopefully I found the problem.

Today it was shifting crazy and harder than ever before. I though the transmission was shot. When I got home I noticed red transmission fluid leak. I switched to Mobil 1 Fully synthetic when I rebuilt my zf5hp24A tranny. But anyway, it was leaking from the front radiator. Looks like it was loose and it was leaking fluid for the past two weeks or so. But I never noticed it because there wasn't a drop of fluid on my driveway the whole time!!!! weird!

It looks like it has been leaking while I drive all over the place except at home on my driveway. I would smell tranny fluid when I park at the mall or stop to get gas. I would kneel down and peek under the car and see nothing leaking or spots on the ground. But the sonofabitch is leaking! I can smell the fluid when the engine is hot. but never see it. I sure hope when I get under there in about an hour to pump a couple quarts into it and tighten some bolts, that that was what was causing my transmission to act funny when slowing down. It started with small things like not down shifting fast enough and now today it was really acting up, slaming into gear 2 and dropping down gears really hard when slowing down.it even spun on 3rd at one moment. I was really pissed and depressed thinking it reached the end. I will let you know after I refill it and test ....what happens

Jedward02 01-28-2009 10:00 AM

Adaptive Transmission that changes shift points??

Originally Posted by cuski (Post 1028690)
DSG is an adaptive transmission, meaning after a while shift points will change to adapt your driving style. If anything changes, you might need to have them reset.

I don't have DSG, but if I recall correctly, the reset method was to turn the key to on position (engine off), and press gas pedal all the way to the bottom for 10 seconds.

Can anyone else confirm this? I've been all thru my A3 manual and saw nothing about this. Rather I read that the S setting has pre-set more aggressive shift points. If the car adjusted to my driving style/shift points how does that work??

thanks for a great forum

TPE_A3 02-01-2009 11:11 AM

DSG does adapt to your driving habits. Two ways that I know of to reset it.

1) disconnect the battery
2) re-map the DSG software...I had my a3 TDI dsg remapped in conjunction with my superchips TDI remap....butter smooth and faster! Probably should do it to my car now!

a3udi 02-02-2009 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by TPE_A3 (Post 1034681)
DSG does adapt to your driving habits. Two ways that I know of to reset it.

1) disconnect the battery
2) re-map the DSG software...I had my a3 TDI dsg remapped in conjunction with my superchips TDI remap....butter smooth and faster! Probably should do it to my car now!

I'd like to know more about your answer #2! Can I do it myself or have to take it to a shop or dealer?

Thanks a lot!

TPE_A3 02-03-2009 02:33 AM

A Re-map?

have to pay for it. You can get it done when you remap the ECU on the car too. Look more into this before you do it...worth it but look before you leap. (I have flashed all my cars with a remap and never had any problems, just joy. You will need a tuning shop to do it that offers the brand of the remap you want,