Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Purchasing decision help

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Default Purchasing decision help

Alright, so here is the deal...After a few months of narrowing down my choices, I have finally decided on an Audi A3 as my next vehicle. But now, I have a whole new dilemma...Which one do I get? Here are my 4 options so far:

- New 2009 2.0T Quattro w/ Premium and Covenience packages, $32500 (500 UNDER invoice)

- CPO 2008 2.0T FWD w/ Premium and Cold Weather, 10k miles, $26000

- CPO 2007 3.2 w/ pretty much loaded outside nav, 20K miles, $29780

- Wait for the TDI or a used 2.0T quattro

A little about me...This car is going to be a daily driver on a short commute, and will be carrying my wife and infant daughter around quite a bit. I am not planning any modifications in the short term, so out of the box performance is important but wither engine is probably enough for me as it is. In order, my priorities are probably as follows: safety (I live in New England), reliability, economy, performace, cache...Oh, and I don't really want to spend more than 30K, so the new is a bit of a stretch, but if it is the best option then so be it

I know this site definitely has a performance lean to it, but any help/advice would be great...Oh, and the prices for the used ones are starting offers...no negotiations, yet...

Last edited by mikey152; 01-15-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:15 PM
1st Gear

I bought a used 2007 2.0 6speed cold weather car with about 10k on it. Not CPO so was few thousand less. Even in Texas those seat warmers are nice. I've put another 10,000 on it without any issues. Don't wait as there is always something new coming out and then you will want that.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by byrun
I bought a used 2007 2.0 6speed cold weather car with about 10k on it. Not CPO so was few thousand less. Even in Texas those seat warmers are nice. I've put another 10,000 on it without any issues. Don't wait as there is always something new coming out and then you will want that.
From a $ standpoint, I like the idea of the used FWD car, but I am concerned about its performance in snow and the only used quattro cars come in 3.2, which negates any money savings...It seems like in order to get what I really want (2.0T price/economy and quattro safety) I need to buy new, which sucks.

Agreed on the waiting, which isn't a perfect fit either as TDI will only be FWD

Last edited by mikey152; 01-15-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:30 PM
1st Gear

If I were in your shoes, I'd go for the first option - especially if you can afford.

That said, where do you live? My FWD A3 handles beautifully in the snow, especially with good tires (would probably be even better with winter tires).

Old 01-15-2009, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by cuski
If I were in your shoes, I'd go for the first option - especially if you can afford.

That said, where do you live? My FWD A3 handles beautifully in the snow, especially with good tires (would probably be even better with winter tires).

Rhode Island...Its not terrible here (im close to the water), but we get our fair share of snow. I think I would be ok with FWD + Snow tires (especially since I'd be keeping my Cherokee), but my wife really wants the quattro.

And yeah, we can afford it, but 7K is 7k...Im not made of money. Combine that with the new car depreciation and that is what makes it so tough, IMO. Is quattro worth 7 grand?

Old 01-15-2009, 09:36 PM
1st Gear

The FWD is fine in snow if you have a good set of snow tires.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Purchasing Decision Help

The 07 with cold weather package sounds like a good deal. 10K is nothing. I have the same car with snow tires and it will go anywhere. Plus the 2.0 liter is a powerhouse with good gas mileage. Great car.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:24 AM

When I was purchasing my A3 a year ago I had a difficult time finding a used one with the options I wanted. There were quite a few CPO's out there , but they all seemed very basic in options. I went with new purchase(I think 500 under invoice) and have not regretted doing it.
However the 2008 CPO for 26k sounds pretty good, that might be a very good way to go. And I dont recall how RI works, but sales tax on 26k should save you some $ as opposed to purchasing new.
Or if you really want to get all options exactly then go for new one. I knew we would be keeping the A3 for along time so it made sense to buy new.
But for sure 10k miles on a A3 is nothing. Mine has just under that, and is basically perfect (except the curb rash! LOL)
Good luck!

Old 01-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Default Not sure if this makes any differance...

But the '08 CPOs are S-line, not premium. Oh, and they are fleet (aka loaner cars) for a local dealer. That kinda has me worried (although, also means they probably got all their service).

Old 01-16-2009, 12:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mikey152
And yeah, we can afford it, but 7K is 7k...Im not made of money. Combine that with the new car depreciation and that is what makes it so tough, IMO. Is quattro worth 7 grand?
To me, yes. Car depreciation? I made one decision based on that once in my life, and I regretted it ever since. It's almost as buying a computer as an investment. Get it, enjoy it fully.

Quick Reply: Purchasing decision help