Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Question about A3 Mods...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 07:33 PM
1st Gear
Default Question about A3 Mods...

Hey all,

I've been pushin the car in my sig for about a month now. Its really a total blast, but could use some more ummpf. What are some mods besides a chip that will not void your warranty, yet will increase performance. In addition to engine, I wouldn't mind some handeling upgrades as well, especially for taking the corners fast.

ALso, a quick question about ECU upgrades....it seems as though they only reprogram the factory computer. If this is the case, why wouldn't AUdi just do that from the factory, as it seems very simple to accomplish. What is the best option in that regard? I've heard REVO, but I know there are others. Money is not much of a concern. I want to max this thing out without voiding the warrany, basically.

Old 05-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Default RE: Question about A3 Mods...

Well modding your car is kind of a tricky thing. You can do whatever you want to the car, but if Audi feels that what you've done has caused the problem then they will not honor the warranty. Obviously you could get a lawyer and battle them but that would potentially cost more than the repair. Remember that with any mod, your may be jeopardizing your warranty and you need to be comfortable with that before you do anything.

Now that I've said that; I also value the warranty and wouldn't want to do anything to jeopardize it. I do have a REVO chip in my car but the ECU shows no reflash and I make sure to return it to stock before it goes to the dealer. Absolutely under no circumstances will I tell the dealer that I messed with my ECU or car in any way. I've never had a problem with previous automobiles and don't plan on having one with this one.

The chip is the MOST important thing you can do to boost performance in the 2.0T. It's absolutely amazing the performance you get with just a chip. I'm also doing a full exhaust on my car as well, but that's a different story. There are many chips to choose from and most are somewhat similiar. The biggest three for our car is REVO, APR, and GIAC. I think they are all very close to the same in performance, but if you wait some time, then some of us plan on dynoing our vehicles and you'd get a better idea. I know that both REVO and APR have options to bring the car back to stock and hide the fact that there is a chip present. I'm sure that GIAC does as well, but I'm not as familiar with that one. The price is between $400-$800 depending on the company and additional programming options. It seems to me that they are all fighting for the best and I think REVO and GIAC X chips probably push the limits of the engine to the fullest. Remember that with any mods like this, you may be over taxing the engine components and lowering the life span, most likely the turbo in this case since the internals are forged. It may not have any impact at all if you're careful in how you drive though.

Sorry to be so wishy washy, but you need to hear both sides before taking the leap. Know that you'll absolutely love the gain in power and you'll still want more. It's a disease. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cheers!

Chef

Old 05-30-2006, 05:21 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: Question about A3 Mods...

did t2t get APR or REVO? i'm guessing once you get your exhaust, you can say good-bye to your warranty right?