Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

radio volume on the bose

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:35 AM
1st Gear
Default radio volume on the bose

I know this has been addressed here, but I couldn't remember what to search for. How do I change the radio from altering the volume for road noise. It's an awful feature that shouldn't be there. The book says how to do it via menu item on the non-bose system, but doesn't say for the bose system.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:40 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: radio volume on the bose

Hello, Spaceman. I have a 2004 Audi A4 3.0, with the Bose Symphony and have had the same problem for 3 years now. While listening to the stereo at low volume, the volume fluctuates like mad. It's so annoying I simply turn it all the way down when I'm trying to have a conversation with someone in the car. At higher volume it's fine.

There is a feature on the stereo called 'Speed Volume Control' (SVC). You need to hold the 'menu' button down for 2-3 seconds to access this, and it will prompt you to set the SVC to your liking, or to 'off'. The original stereo my car came with was mysteriously missing this feature, despite it being in the manual. Naturally, I presumed this was the problem (that I couldn't turn it off).

So, just last week Audi finally believed me (for 3 years they couldn't seem to duplicate the problem) and replaced my stereo. The feature is now available, but guess what? I turned it off, and the effing volume still fluctuates!! Just for fun, I set it to 5, then to 10, and everything else in between, and nothing works! I even played with the 'Max Volume' settings (the feature that comes after SVC), and of course that has no bearing on it. If you eventually hear of a solution, PLEASE let me know.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:13 AM
1st Gear

turn the radio off. hold the preset 2 button and it should come up as SVC. i turned mine off via this method and have had no issues since.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:41 PM
1st Gear

Unfortunately the bose radio doesnt have SVC. it has Audiopilot, which uses fancy microphones and processing to control volume/cancel noise. Bottomline is it doesnt work too well cause you can easily tell its doing it. Also the best i've been able to find out is that it can't be adjused, or turned off at all.

FYI I have navigation and the nav headunit may be different but thats how mine is.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:38 PM
1st Gear

The "Audi Concert" CD or tape that came with your car has detailed instructions on how to change this.

I had the same problem.......

Old 08-27-2007, 08:36 AM
1st Gear

Thanks, everyone. I don't seem to have the SVC control in the menu either, although I only looked while I was driving so I'll take another look in a couple of days. As far as the manual giving the details, that's not true- there is nothing about adjusting the Bose system in there, only on the standard radio.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:37 AM
1st Gear

My symphony system doesn't allow me to disable either, but the volume fluctuations are nonexistent to my ears....maybe mine isn't working properly.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:54 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: spaceman3

As far as the manual giving the details, that's not true- there is nothing about adjusting the Bose system in there, only on the standard radio.
That's what I'm talking about. ONLY the dam CD or TAPE that came with the radio has the instructions on it to work the Bose radio......Kinda lame audi,,,, kinda lame.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:50 AM
1st Gear

mine didn't even come with a cd or tape