Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

retrofit heated seats?

Old 07-24-2007, 07:09 PM
1st Gear
Default retrofit heated seats?

so, it's july and me lady is already freaking out that i didn't get heated seats. i live in the middle of texas. what's the procedure for installing heated seats? do i need all new seats, or can i just cram something in the existing ones? is this something the dealer can do? aw, f-it, here's my questions:

can heated seats be installed retroactively? what's the best route to go for this?

OEM bluetooth install is factory only, right? can an idiot like me install the parrot contraption? anyone in austin that can help?

bose radio can't play mp3 discs, even though website and manul say it can, right?

what's the best technical explanation for the DSG fart?

and, are the splash guards worth it? easy to install?

is the rubber mat supposed to fit so poorly? it's basically crammed in back there and sticks up in places

Old 07-24-2007, 07:49 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: retrofit heated seats?

Not sure about adding factory heated seats, but I do know there are aftermarket kits around $100-150, if I remember correctly. You just have to find somewhere to mount the switch. There should already be a 12v under the seats.

OEM Bluetooth can be added, but the dealer probably won't do it. See here: http://www.audidiy.com/a3.html For the cost and trouble, you're probably better off going with the Parrot solution.

Bose radio- I've heard that some of them will play MP3s and some won't. Apparently, there's no way to tell which one you have as they look identical. It was a change made in mid-production.

I saw an explanation of the DSG fart somewhere, I think it has to do with the rev matching that occurs when you request a shift. I kinda like it, it adds character to the car

Splash guards are probably a good investment. I don't have them because I don't want to fugly up my car, but it's probably not a bad idea if you aren't aesthetically opposed to them.

Floor mats- I don't have them yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about them. I think there is a discussion on the rubber mats in the Newbie FAQ thread. There are a few different varieties, do you have the Euro styl mats? They are larger than the stock carpet mats and that may be why they seem to fit funny. Wait, do you mean the cargo area mat?

Old 07-24-2007, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

that DIY site is sweet. thanks for the tips. I like the fart, too, but I just want to explain it to people that ask why my car is gassy.

yes, the rubber cargo mat is what i' talking about. it doesn't fit worth a turd

Old 07-24-2007, 11:02 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: rollyfoster

Geez, I was just about to order one for myself! Even though I don't transport pets in my car, I seem to transfer quite a bit of hair from my house to the car and it shows up especially well on the dark carpet in the hatch area. It tends to adhere to the carpet pretty well too, kind of a pain to vacuum out. I'd be interested to hear if the mat ends up comforming better after it's had some time to settle.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:33 AM
1st Gear

Get a large, heavy, high-quality wool blanket for your girlfriend. Give it a few quick tumbles in the clothesdryer to heat it up before driving in the Texas winter, seriously.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:12 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: BAMF

ORIGINAL: rollyfoster

Geez, I was just about to order one for myself! Even though I don't transport pets in my car, I seem to transfer quite a bit of hair from my house to the car and it shows up especially well on the dark carpet in the hatch area. It tends to adhere to the carpet pretty well too, kind of a pain to vacuum out. I'd be interested to hear if the mat ends up comforming better after it's had some time to settle.

it covers the back, it just sticks up at the edge over the rear bumper. i'll try to get a pic today and show you what i'm talking about. i really had to cram it in there.

also, i just noticed on fourtitude that the rear hatch of the euro 3.2 is slightly different. the euro 2.0 and both us models are the same back there, so i may have been given the wrong one....

Old 07-26-2007, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

Well the problem I see it is you feel you need heated seats and live in Texas

The solution is simple... $9.99!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Heated-Seat-Cush...QQcmdZViewItem

Now we just have to figure out how to install the microwave into the trunk and we're good!

[align=center]Please don't get too offended by my sarcasm...
[/align]

Old 07-26-2007, 12:12 PM
1st Gear

I don't care WHERE you live.
I grew up in upstate NY and now live in Houston, TX.
Heated seats are DA BOMB!!!! Nothing like toasty buns on a chilly morning.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:44 PM
1st Gear

Most girls I know say that heated seats give them the same sensation as having wee'd themselves, but hey still love a hot bot

Old 07-26-2007, 02:50 PM
1st Gear

I got the heated seats on my A3, which at first I didnt get.

Back when I purchaed my A3 in November, my original A3 never arrived, and the dealer kept giving me the run-around, it was scheduled to arrive on Dec 15th. I had purchased the vehicle in the middle of Nov.
So anyway, I got the Premium with Open-Sky and S-Tronic trans. Thats all I wanted and needed.
BUT, since that car never arrived, I made a big stink and told the dealership to give me something they had on the lot right then and there, just matching the colors I wanted.

So, I got lucky and they gave me an A3 with Premium/Open-Sky/S-Tronic and..............."COLD WEATHER" package. And yes, for the same price as my original A3 (without cold weather pkg) that never arrived.

But I must say, I dont use the heated seats much. My girlfriend was all excited about it and she used it ALOT during the cold winter here in NJ, but I barely used it. And if I did, I would only have it on low, 2 or 3 notches. But she sure seems to enjoy the heated seats.