Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Roof rack questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:38 AM
1st Gear
Default Roof rack questions

I've seen a few posts about roof racks on the A3's but I have a few questions that didn't seem to be addressed in them. I'm particularly interested anyone that has first hand experience with a Thule system on their A3 with the Open sky system.

I posted some pics about removing the rear bench to get my bike in the back standing up to aviod having to use a roof rack, but I'm moving this summer and I will need roof space and trunk space to get my life across the country.

So...my questions are:
Is it possible to use the Thule farring on a car with Open Sky and will the roof still open?

What is the increase in noise/reduction in gas milage like?

How is the fit on the door sils and have you had any problems with the doors leaking or the rubber gaskets on the outsides of the doors getting stretched out?

Thanks everybody!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:22 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Roof rack questions

batman - I did a bunch of research about bike racks - and ended up coming to the conclusion to get a rear hatch mounted rack. For a long time i heard people complain that they would rub on the paint, etc...but I read even more reviews recently that contradicted. I purchased a Yakima King Joe 2. It's got some whopping rubber bumpers that were much improved over the cheap rubber padding of the previous models. This was by far the most economical, easy to remove choice for me. I know it doesn't exactly answer your ? but hope it helps...

Old 03-20-2008, 01:03 PM
1st Gear

I don't have a thule but have a yakima roof rack with copperhead bike mounts and a fairing so this may or may not be helpful.

1. The open sky will open but the bike mounts have to be moved further out towards the ends of the bar to allow give the glass enough room.

2. MPG is reduced about 5 mpg. Noise is a bit louder, especially with a bike mounted.

3. The fit is good and there is no problem with leaking. I do fear that the rubber seals would bend out of shape after a while.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:39 PM

I had no issues with anything with my TULE kit + bikes + fairing.
I didnt notice more than a 3-4 mpg drop.
as was stated, there is a bit more noise.
I could open my -open sky all the way with no issues. only, i dont see an reason to do so, because it gets a bit loud with the bikes on, unless you're going slow.

If you mount them nice and snug, and CLEAN the feet of the Tule kit. you should have no paint scratching issues.
make sure to have clean pads, and you'll be fine...

Old 03-20-2008, 07:23 PM
1st Gear

Good point about cleaning the pads. Wipe them with a damp towel just to be sure. Wouldn't hurt to wax the spots as well to have a protective layer.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

Hi: I use a Thule system on my A3. It works well, easy to install and remove. It fits snugly on the roof and the door clamps are rather unobstrusive. The open sky works with it on but it does howl in the wind. Haven't noticed much/any mileage reduction. Once you get the knack of putting them on and taking them off, it's easy. Make sure to clean the pads and roof to reduce likelihood of scratching.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:12 PM

I've got the opensky and I just got the Thule. Love it. It starts to make a little noise (not whistling) when I get on the highway ...but it not too loud and not a big deal. There is no other rattling or other noises.

The rack fits snugly into the grooves and seems to be on real well. We just got a whole bunch of rain and although no rain got into the car, it did get a little wet between the two seals. So, some rain got in through the outer seal but stopped at the inner seal. So basically, no problems. Glad I got it and the aluminum looks great!

-Anthony.

PS If you get it, set it back as far as you can so its level.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:25 AM
1st Gear

I have the thule rack with aero bars, 2 bike racks and a ski box, no wind fairing yet. I've beengetting about 28-32 highway this winter, mostly above 30 though. wind noise is there but not that bad, sure it will be a lot better when i get a fairing. here is a pick of my setup..

Old 03-27-2008, 07:34 AM
1st Gear

your a3 looks almost orange-ish in that pic. i like -- nice pic.
has anyone ever seen any different colors such as lime green, yellow, orange, etc....?? could be fun in photoshop....

Old 03-27-2008, 07:00 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: eddiefury

your a3 looks almost orange-ish in that pic. i like -- nice pic.
has anyone ever seen any different colors such as lime green, yellow, orange, etc....?? could be fun in photoshop....
it is the misano red, in some light conditions it looks orange-ish, it always looks orange likeat night under parking lot light and such. I think it's coolhow the colour changes.

Quick Reply: Roof rack questions