Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Seat leather rips/tears?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 01:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Seat leather rips/tears?

Hey guys...
I'm taking the ride in for 45k service on Tuesday.
Also want to discuss with the service manager about some small rips on the driver seat left hand seat cushionbolster. I recall reading that other members here had similar problems and got their dealers to replace the seat cushion covers under warranty or as good will. However, with 45k on the odometer, I'm wondering if it's too late for me.
So, could those of you that had your seat cushion covers replaced please let me know at what mileage you had that done? If I can show my service manager that others had similar problems and received replacement covers, I might also be 'covered'.
Thanx in advance...
[/align]

Old 07-06-2008, 05:54 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Seat leather rips/tears?

I don't see a reason for them to not replace it. And there amswer should be thats normal wear. Thats a BS answer and should only be used at 90+K miles. Good luck and I hope they fix it. Expecially since your still under "full" warranty

Old 07-09-2008, 02:09 PM
1st Gear

My dealer claimed that they would only deal with those cracks under warranty (same location) within the first 10 or 12K. Grrr. They do have someone that can repair them, but I'll wait until the cracks aremuch worse before spending that money, since I expect that the repair cost is about the same regardless of extent.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

My seats have the same cracks...grrrr

Old 07-09-2008, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

Where exactly on the bolster are the cracks? Is it where the leatherette comes in contact with the hard plastic trim on the side? Just curious if it's something that can be prevented with some sort of protection.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

The cracks in my left (outer) bolster areroughly halfway up the surface between the (real) leather center and upper edge seam, and about 8" forward of the back end of the bolster, so not near any hard surface.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:16 PM
1st Gear

I had this fixed under warranty, about 8 months after I bought the car. Now, 3 years later, with 46K kms, I noticed the cracks reappeared. After the first replacement, I made sure that the leather was cleaned at the recommended interval - hoping it will no longer be an issue.

Let us know what your manager will say - I wasn't even going to mention it to them, since I'm rather skeptical about the response, especially this late in the game. However, it seems to be a rather common issue - in which case, Audi should definitely be involved and come up with a resolution.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

First off, let me say that Midwest Auto Group in Dublin, OH rocks! The Audi service manager bends over backwards to make sure his customers get the best service possible. I've always been treated with courtesyand respect. And the car is always receives a HAND wash prior to me picking her up. First class all the way...

OK. So I went in to the 45k service armed with copies of forum posts of guys that had similar problems. The challenge was finding seats fixed AFTER 12 mo/12,000 miles. I was able to find a few that hadcovers replaced between 25~35k.I showed the service manager the problem (4 cracks ~3/8" long) along with thehard copies of the forum posts. He took pic's of the cracks and forward those along with forum posts to the area district manager. Either we caught theDM in a good mood, or because of the precedence set by other dealerships to replace covers after 12/12, he agreed to have my cover replaced! Being the original owner also helped...Now granted, I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealership when I can havethe workdone, but based on the exemplary service I've received in the past, I doubt I'll get stiffed.

Bottom line. Do your home work, don't go in with a chip on your shoulder, talkWITH the manager not AT him, and you may find him willing to work with you to come to asatisfactory outcome. Remember, the seat covers are technically onlywarranteedto 12/12. Being polite and informed, you may be able to get yours replaced as well, notunder warrantybut rather as a 'good will' gesture. Good dealerships are hard to find...when you do find one, be sure torewardthem with repeat business!

Good luck.
[/align]
[/align]

Old 07-14-2008, 09:09 AM
1st Gear

I've had mine replaced twice as well as a back bolster all under warranty. It really depends on the dealer and how much they want to help out. I've heard of people w/ fairly low mileage getting denied b/c they claim it was wear and tear. Mine was replaced w/ lots of miles and the dealer is the one that pointed out the back one and got it replaced.

I think as long as you have a good relationship w/ the dealer, you should be able to get good service.

Good luck A3guy and hope all works out well! Unfortunately, both my replacements were done w/ similar material as the OEM stuff so I think those will be ripping in the future. Guess I'll have to go w/ some nicer material then

Old 07-14-2008, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

My seat ripped also. I called audi directly and went to audi and they gave me a hassle that it is not covered because I have 40k miles. I am still fighting with them. My wifes Ford Escape had a problem with the leather and they fixed the seat with almost 50k miles on it. I will let you know what happens.

Quick Reply: Seat leather rips/tears?