Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Sport Trac Tire Pressure ? Under-steer and Stability Control

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 09:01 PM
1st Gear
Default Sport Trac Tire Pressure ? Under-steer and Stability Control

So the factory speck for 17" is 36psi front and 32psi rear.

So If I was to increase the Rear tire pressure I would effectively reduce the ideal contact patch and reduce rear traction.

Has anyone played with rear tire pressure to try to dial out some of the under-steer and if so where did you end up?
I was just wondering if you took the rears up to 36 what happened and if the car became a little bit more neutral.

OR

Has anyone tried any aftermarket sway bar, adjustable or fixed and how far does that get you to a neutral balance where when the tires start to break it is all 4 wheels at the same time ?

Will stability control ever let you get there?

Old 11-13-2006, 01:49 AM
Default RE: Sport Trac Tire Pressure ? Under-steer and Stability Control

ORIGINAL: wchp

So the factory speck for 17" is 36psi front and 32psi rear.

So If I was to increase the Rear tire pressure I would effectively reduce the ideal contact patch and reduce rear traction.

Has anyone played with rear tire pressure to try to dial out some of the under-steer and if so where did you end up?
I was just wondering if you took the rears up to 36 what happened and if the car became a little bit more neutral.

OR

Has anyone tried any aftermarket sway bar, adjustable or fixed and how far does that get you to a neutral balance where when the tires start to break it is all 4 wheels at the same time ?

Will stability control ever let you get there?
I've ended up running about 38psi in the Pirelli Rossos and I'm dialed in about as good as the stock set-up gets. I've just decided that I'm replacing the Pirellis with Goodyear F1 235/45-17's and putting in the Neuspeed rear sway bar on the stiffest setting. From what I've read and heard, that should give me much better traction and throw the car more into an oversteer situation and eliminate the understeer. I'll have the sway bar, stiffer transmission mounts, and a short shift kit in within the month, but the tires will be in the beginning of the year. I'm really working on getting the fwd car to handle much better and stick through first and second gears.

Isn't modding fun?

Cheers!