Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Strange Noise, Unsure What It Is?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 01:12 PM
Default Strange Noise, Unsure What It Is?

It's hard to explain, but it sounds like a propelling noise, not very loud, but loud enough to wind you up. It happens when you coast along without accelerating, sounds to be coming from front of the car. I'm not sure if its a front bearing, or something loose in the engine. Anyone have or had this problem? Any feedback is much appreciated. Cheers

Old 01-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Default RE: Strange Noise, Unsure What It Is?

I'm experiencing the exact same noise. Didn't happen when I bought it in August but it's revealed itself over the last few months. A roaring/propelling (good description..thanks) noise happening at any speed but you can hear it the most when it's coasting to a stop. I'm no expert but it does sound line a bearing. Have an appointment with the dealer next Monday Feb 5th, I'll report back what they say.

2006 A3

Old 02-03-2007, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

I think the problem is with the driver side seal on the windsheild. I noticed the same noise in the last 2 days and have traced it back to the bottom of the strip which is a little loose. I checked everything else to see if there was something that could make the noise.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:25 PM

Well the problem is fixed..so far.

According to the service guy, it was the tires that started to "feather" and cause the propelling noise after the car went out of alignment. So of course alignment and tires are about the only thing not covered by warranty. He said that after an alignment and rotation that the tires would wear themselves the other way and fix the sound. I went ahead with the alignment and rotation at my expense of $200. Since I had just bought the car in August, with 3,000 on it, and the sound started in November I didn't feel that I could do that much driving in 3 months to mess up the tires that bad. The car had to be out of align when I bought it...but paid for it anyway.

So 1,500 miles later it was still making the noise so I took it in again. The dealer called and said the tires were ruined. That would be $850 to replace them please. No way....that would be over a thousand dollars on a car that I've only had 7 months. After complaining they said they would split the tires...they pay for 2 and I pay for 2. But still, that's 600 bucks that I've shelled out and I'm not doing it.

To make a long story short...my wife works for lawyers and made a call. That did it..(she's got my back...) then decided to replace all tires at the dealer expense. So far the noise is gone and I can go back to enjoying my A3, minus $200 for an alignment that didn't do any good. Guess we'll see if it was the alignment or not. If it's not the sound will come back in about 5,000 miles and we'll take it from there.

Other than this problem I'm very happy with my A3....

Old 03-13-2007, 07:10 PM
1st Gear

Were your original tires the Pirellis or the Continentals? Did the dealer replace with the same tires as the originals?

Old 03-13-2007, 07:18 PM

rotational tyres come to mind here and cant be used on the left side if they are for the right side ( they have an arrow on them for the direction and its against the law to fit them incorrectly so watch out when you do a rotation of the tyres

Old 03-13-2007, 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: AManCalledE

Were your original tires the Pirellis or the Continentals? Did the dealer replace with the same tires as the originals?
The originals were Continentals and the new ones are Pirelli. Don't know why, maybe availability. It did take them 2 days to get all the tires. One tire better than the other in your opinion?

avant80@2.6: Thanks for that info...didn't realize that. The dealer did the rotation so hope that was taken in to consideration.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:21 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: alucard

ORIGINAL: AManCalledE

The originals were Continentals and the new ones are Pirelli. Don't know why, maybe availability. It did take them 2 days to get all the tires. One tire better than the other in your opinion?
I have the Conti's and <knock on wood> so far have not had any problems. Most of the tire problems I have heard of on the various Audi forums seem to be with the Pirelli P6's. My question was more out of curiosity than anything.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:30 PM
1st Gear

I have had a similar tapping noise coming from the passenger side front. The tires are not the problem as it is most prominent at idle. If anyone has any more info that might point to a non-tire solution, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:38 PM

lavadrifter,
it's your fuel line on the passanger side. it's a problem that has been documented before. Audi will fix it for free. it's a couple hrs job. becasue the fuel line is not proberly insulated/held in place and it rattles a bit.
look at this post
https://www.audiforums.com/m.asp?m=4...age=1&key=
if the link doesn't work check my profile and look at the thread "engine noise"

here are more details from the audi job order for my fix:
p/n 06a-141-730-A "ring"

there is also a specific TSB: 2012395/1. talk about it to your audi advisor

Quick Reply: Strange Noise, Unsure What It Is?