Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Swapped Sport Shocks for Koni FSI

Old 08-31-2007, 01:45 AM
1st Gear
Default Swapped Sport Shocks for Koni FSI

I got a good price through the Audizine group buy, so I decided to see if i could smooth my A3's ride outa bit from the combo of OEM sport shocks and Neuspeed sport springs. The original ride,I judged, while nicely stiff and tight, was a bit too jarring over the crap local roads of metro L.A.

After an install by Euro-Tech Motors on Washington Bl., Ihave tosay thatthe result of the changehasbeen abit disappointing. While I can definitely say that there is a noticeable improvement in how the suspension handles road irregularities, it only seems to apply for irregularities of quite minor degree. Anything one inch or less (repaving, expansion joints, minor divots) is more smoothed out compared to sport shocks. You can still feel them, but they are not bothersome anymore unlike with OEM sports.However, larger irregularities (short dips, 2-4" humps, potholes) feel MORE jarring with the FSIs than with the OEM sport shocks. So it feels that having gained in one area, I have given up in another. As for high-speed cornering, the FSIs seem as good, if not better than the sport shocks. Yesterday, I took a right sweeper connecting the I-10 to the 405N at 90mph... felt solid as a rock--hunkered down and flat.
So overall, the car is different, but not sure if better.... in retrospectprobably not worth the $800 including install. But I only have less than 100 miles on the new shocks...maybe they will break in. I'll report if any changes occur later.
Oh yeah, this is my new pic...I took it last weekend.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:51 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Swapped Sport Shocks for Koni FSI

I have the same setup and somewhere in this forum is my review stating exactly the same thing. Medium bumps are definitely not handled as well with the FSDs. Your ride looks great - what happened to those black rims you had?

Old 08-31-2007, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

I never owned the black rims... when I bought the car, owner offered me my choice of new tires & rims. This is what I went with. Would you switch back to OEM sport shocks, Lava?

Old 09-01-2007, 02:26 AM
1st Gear

I never owned the black rims... when I bought the car, owner offered me my choice of new tires & rims. This is what I went with. Would you switch back to OEM sport shocks, Lava?
Funny you should ask. It has crossed my mind enough times since I installed the FSDs to refrain from selling the OEM struts... just in case. As you stated, the smaller bumps are smoothed out with the FSDs, and they definitely keep the car more level under heavy load. In contrast, there are medium sized bumps on my drive home where I actually now have to brace my hand against the roof to keep my head from slamming. It's a real bummer that they didn't get that right. The thing that's keeping me from switching back is that my car feels much more stable overall with the FSDs (you probably noticed this as well). That "floaty" feeling drove me crazy with the OEM setup. It would take a lot for me to go back to that - so to answer your question, no I wouldn't switch back. But I'm not selling the OEM struts either!

Old 09-01-2007, 03:08 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Maybe because FSD's were designed with OEM S-Line suspension in mind?

Old 09-01-2007, 04:51 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: a3_yuppie

This piques my curiosity as well, can anyone comment on the ride quality and handling with the OEM S-Line springs as opposed to a drop spring?

Old 09-01-2007, 06:40 PM
1st Gear

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=3420175

Old 09-02-2007, 02:02 AM
1st Gear

a3_yuppie > I had read about that as well when I was researching struts. I was initially deterred from buying them, but three aftermarket tuners recommended the FSDs to be paired with the Neuspeed sport springs. Neuspeed themselves bundles the FSDs with their sport springs. Given these recommendations, I went with it. And in every way but one, they are better than than the stock setup. I too am curious if anyone has actually had BOTH the stock sport springs and lowered springs paired with FSDs and can attest first hand that they perform better with the stock springs. The fact is, even if the FSDs perform a bit better with the stock sport springs, I am not going back to that 4x4 wheel gap.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:58 PM
2nd Gear

What i found with my cup kit is about the same.

Improved handleing, stance is lower over the wheels and lower center of gravity, looks improved.

On the downside what you give up, is the bumps in the road if you hit a mid size to deep divot or pot hole the sound and feel is horrible first thing i think is a bent rim.

Rear tires rubbing any mid size pot hole or bump, and forget carrying any passengers in the back.
I guess that is the price we pay for the better look and improved handleing.