Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Technical Question

Old 01-15-2008, 03:55 AM
Default Technical Question

Hi,

im new to this forum

i own a A3 and got a problem with it, but at the service they can't find the problem, maybe somebody here has some tips what it could be.

the problem is, if i'm driving faster than 100 km/h i get a power loss, and it is nearly unpossible to drive faster than 100 km/h. at the service they told me that they can't find the error.

please help

thx

Old 01-15-2008, 07:11 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Technical Question

We need more info. [:-]

Old 01-15-2008, 07:51 AM

okay, which?

best

Old 01-15-2008, 12:28 PM
L7
1st Gear

Neugi;
I'm doubting that I'll be able to provide and answer. But, let's start with the year, engine and transmission.

--Good luck--

Old 01-16-2008, 02:23 AM

okay, it is a Audi A3, Year 2000, 8L, 90 HP, Diesel, manual transmission

best & thx

Old 01-16-2008, 09:31 AM

Ahhh...it's a TDI. That helps a LOT!

The 1.9L TDI had several issues that might cause this problem. My first guess would be a faulty MAF sensor, as they were very common failures on those cars. The other thing that happened often was a build-up of soot on the intake manifold which seriously restricts air flow and causes the same problem. How long ago have you change the air filter and fuel filter? The other thing to look at is the snow screen on the intake prior to the filter. There is a snorkel tube routing cold air from the front to the filter and it has a fine mesh screen to trap large particles. This can get clogged and restrict air flow too.

Honestly, with a diesel, it will have to be either air or fuel delivery problems. Definitely check the entire air route first, since it is the easiest.

To check the condition of your intake, simply remove the rubber hose fitting from the intercooler at the intake manifold and inspect the level of build up inside the manifold.

To check the snow screen, remove the air filter, then the pipe leading from the air box to the front of the grill.

After you look at everything else and it's still not right, check the MAF. Simply disconnect the MAF from the inlet pipe and run the engine around the block and check for power. The ECU will automatically run the engine rich, but if your power returns, then you know the MAF is faulty. This may cause the check engine light to come on, but it will clear after a few drives with it reconnected, if you don't have a VAG or scan tool to clear it.

All of this should take less than 20 minutes to do.

Good luck!

Cheers!

Old 01-17-2008, 05:38 AM

hi,

thx for this tips, i'll check all of them.

as i know at the last service they've checkt the MAF sensor and also replaced is, but it didn't helped.

normaly all filters have been replaced at the last service too.

as soon as i know more, after the check, i'll post my results

thx