Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A3
 Thinking of A3, but have some questions. >

Thinking of A3, but have some questions.

Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Thinking of A3, but have some questions.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Default Thinking of A3, but have some questions.

I’ll be purchasing a car within next two weeks, and at the moment the Audi A3 tops the list of all potential purchases. Initially I was looking at the new Volvo C30 T5 with Dynaudio and sport packages, sunroof and automatic transmission. The hole deal is running at about 41.5k $ Canadian. Main issue – it still looks like the 27k base model, with that bottom plastic trim running around the car. The body kit, which I think makes the car look “complete”, is another 3-7k option – no one really knows the exact price, not even dealers. Talk about lack of information and major headache.
At that price point, a lot of other potential options opened up, mind me say, probably better too. And the dollar amount brought me to my local Audi dealer where I test drove the car twice, A3 2.0T S-line with DSG, and I must say the automatic transmission is just amazing; the engine is lovely as well. It really blows Volvo’s auto-trans thing, because it’s not really smooth, it’s not good with the T5 engine, quite jerky when it shifts, and the C30, being sports hatch car, where the heck are the shift paddles at the steering wheel? And then, there’s the interior – Audi is just that one step better than Volvo – the quality, the materials, but not necessarily the design. The overall package on the Audi just seems more “whole” than what is Volvo offering – not to mention Volvo is a Ford (in a way).
But down to questions: ipod connectivity / Bose premium system. The stock audio systemis just not enough, so I’ve decided on the premium system, but since the dealer doesn’t have an A3 with it, I can’t really say what’s the benefit and if it’s really worth that extra grand. I hear some conflicting reports on how good/bad it is. The dynaudio package on the C30 is a very, very nice option, pumping out 650 watts total. What can I expect form the Bose system?
And of course, the ipod connectivity. Again, bunch of conflicting reports, though the dealer said it’ works just fine.
I also want the open sky system which, from what I hear was kind of faulty in 06 models. Was it fixed in 07 and works with no problems?
I guess those are my main questions/concerns. I’ll probably get the winter package as well, since I live in Canada. And that brings me to one more question: How does the car drive/handle in winter, in slippery conditions (ice/snow) and in rain?
I appreciate some feedback and comments…
Potential A3 driver,
Adrian

Old 05-09-2007, 06:25 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Thinking of A3, but have some questions.

I just bought an new A3 after comparing it to the volvo s40 T5 awd, acura tsx w/ navi and subaru legacy w/ navi. Obviously I would choose the audi it is hands down more fun to drive than all the previous cars i listed. The DSG is simply amazing and I dont see it getting any less fun over the years. I cant say to much about driving in the snow since i just got it but i did drive it home in a heavy rain and it handled just fine. I had to choose between the cold weather and audio packages and went with the cold weather but got an i-pod adaption and it is great. It works through the standard head unit and sounds fine on the regular speaker system. I figured that while i could always upgrade the speakers later on but i couldnt upgrade to heated seats. I am planing on getting sway bars,APR II and better brakes later but after 4 days of ownership even with out that stuff i LOVE my new A3. But the A3 is a modding car it practicallybegs for it but is still a ton of fun w/o mods. Plus looking at the diffrent cars on road I see much fewer A3's than I do volvos, acuras and subarus which makes me feel nice and warm inside. Hope this helps, I know how hard it is to choose a new car.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:26 PM
1st Gear

I agree with Swaynest, Its nice to see few of these cars on the road...you know immediately its new! i have an '06 and i've never had a problem with the open sky, even at 125mph.you'll definitelyappreciate the build quality of this car!

As for handling in the snow, i did get stuck going up a hill after i had to stop for some guy who lost control going downhill. that was not fun, but then again, i've never heard anyone praise the continental tires on this car.

I seriously suggest you test that bose system with a cd of your own, because i wasn't too impressed...and i'm almost sure it won't match the power of that dynaudio system in the volvo.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:11 AM
1st Gear

The factory ipod adapter is sub-par. The radio doesn't display any song info. The ipod usesthe cd changer connection on the radio and is seen as a cd changer. It only shows track number and you have to advance one song at a time or by playlist and you only get to use 5 of them. If you get the adapter free then I would say use it until something better comes out. If you have to pay for it I would recommend you steer cleaar of it as it isn't worth the money. The only saving grace for the adapter IMO is that it charges my ipod.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:02 PM

What’s up with this ipod connectivity? Seems like every single car maker I pick has some sort of ipod adapter issues. You would think that a company like Audi would have it figured out. Volvo has the same problem – it works, more or less, but they all appear to work more or less. As long as it’s wired, and I can skip tracks with the steering wheel controls, that’s good enough for me.
Another issue, a rather big one, is the sound system. I get the impression that people in general don’t give a damn about what they listen to. I’m not an extreme audio freak, and those custom 1000watt civic-type systems don’t impress me. But I do want quality, not necessarily loudness. I’ll be generous, and give the stock A3 audio system a 5 out of 10. It’s defiantly something that I’d sacrifice, but if there’s a noticeable difference in quality I’ll go for the Bose Audio package.
adrian

Old 05-10-2007, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: converted

The factory ipod adapter is sub-par. The radio doesn't display any song info. The ipod usesthe cd changer connection on the radio and is seen as a cd changer. It only shows track number and you have to advance one song at a time or by playlist and you only get to use 5 of them. If you get the adapter free then I would say use it until something better comes out. If you have to pay for it I would recommend you steer cleaar of it as it isn't worth the money. The only saving grace for the adapter IMO is that it charges my ipod.
I just started another topic about the iPod adapter specifically... All I hear is negative things about it from people here, but to be honest I like it! You just have to realize that it is not fully integrated. Instead think of it this way, you can get a 6-Disc changer or an iPod adapter and organize your playlist so that its like having a 50+ disc changer!

Is it a pain, yes... but so is switching disc's in the CD changer.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:53 PM
1st Gear

[quote]ORIGINAL: robertmrome

I agree it's much better than a CD changer, but when you figure the Ipod has been out for sometime now and BMW supposedly has had it fully integrated for at least a year or two you kind of expect more from a higher end car like Audi.

I asked an Audi parts guy what the cost was forthe satellite radio tuner and he told me that if I have the Ipod or CD changer that I can't have satellite. Has anyone else heard this or is he mistaken?

Old 05-10-2007, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

[quote]ORIGINAL: converted

ORIGINAL: robertmrome

I agree it's much better than a CD changer, but when you figure the Ipod has been out for sometime now and BMW supposedly has had it fully integrated for at least a year or two you kind of expect more from a higher end car like Audi.

I asked an Audi parts guy what the cost was forthe satellite radio tuner and he told me that if I have the Ipod or CD changer that I can't have satellite. Has anyone else heard this or is he mistaken?
I'm not saying Audi's integration is great... just better than a lot of options.

As for the BMW... the integration is much more similar than you would think!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8-R6QYwtSI

Its on their cars with the full NAV option that you can select songs and such... But you basically get the same with Audi...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZqwNSiv__A

Old 05-10-2007, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

I'll chip in here...since I am in Toronto and can probably add my $0.02 for a fellow canadian.

I purchased an 06' A3 before the C30 had been launched. I have always been a fan of Volvos, and got extremely excited once i saw the C30 coming out. BUT, in my mind the A3 is such a better car after taking a closer look, and even testin the C30 for Sh**s and giggles....

1st - AUDI vs VOLVO, Sexy vs. Mom-car, Stylish vs. IKEA look alike, Speed (more available after market) vs. some speed, and theres more to compare but AUDI is ahead in every category in my mind.

2nd - PRICE. After, as you said, you price out the options on both, the Volvo jumps ridiculously with some standard options that come in most AUDI packages at a good price. AS you can see, I got the sport pkg, cold weather, open sky, 6sp man, pearl paint, and got it at a steal at 37,900 with only 9k on it. I think thats cheaper once you throw some stuff on the C30.

3rd - Winter driving is as good as ive seen for a FWD. You get alot of pull from the AUDI so of course theres slip on the snow and ice, but it has the ESP option which givesd it nice control. And if you get alot of snow, id obviously be using winter tires.

So I hope that helps....I'll probably add more once i price out the totals for a C30 which would come close to comparing to my A3....

Im now an AUDI man.....

OK just priced the C30 out at $43,000 that was without 17" wheels which I have on my A3, and without the Body Kit which leaves the Ugly plastic triming...NOT on the A3.

No comparison.....A3 all the way.....

Old 05-10-2007, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: nuendo
But down to questions: ipod connectivity / Bose premium system. The stock audio systemis just not enough, so I’ve decided on the premium system, but since the dealer doesn’t have an A3 with it, I can’t really say what’s the benefit and if it’s really worth that extra grand. I hear some conflicting reports on how good/bad it is. The dynaudio package on the C30 is a very, very nice option, pumping out 650 watts total. What can I expect form the Bose system?
And of course, the ipod connectivity. Again, bunch of conflicting reports, though the dealer said it’ works just fine.
I also want the open sky system which, from what I hear was kind of faulty in 06 models. Was it fixed in 07 and works with no problems?
The premium system is quite a improvment over stock. Biggest difference is sonic clarity, less distortion. The radio has better sensitivity, but you can buy just the radio if you want. You can listen to the premium audio system in any 3.2 model. I was curious if for 2008 you guys up in Canada would finally get Sirius as part of the package like we do in the states? The ipod adapter works but as stated earlier doesn't display all information. Issues with Open Sky are documented and fixable if encounted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of A3, but have some questions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.