Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Thinking of A3, but have some questions.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:44 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Thinking of A3, but have some questions.

Interesting...I guess we have to suffer until a company like USA Spec come out with something for newer Audis and VW. I emailed them about a week ago and they said they are working on something. I think I would just prefer an AUX input so I can connect anything I want, i.e. satellite radio, DVD player,etc. I guess it's still better than carrying around CDs since I can't seem to not scratch one within one week of buying it.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

Don't expect the "premium" systemby Bose to be worth much at all in terms of sound quality. Maybe you'll get a little more power & clarity vs stock, but thats not saying a lot. The Dynaudio system in the Volvo, even though I have not heard it, I can almost guarantee it will be substantially better inall ways than the Audi Bose system. I had a Volvo850 Turbo before my A3 and the sound from the stock stereo was much better than what I get from the Bose system. Dynaudio is a respected audiophile brand from Denmark. Bose has been an audiophile laughingstock for more than 30 years. And please, don't anyone tell me how good their Wave radio sounds at home.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:39 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: lectrolink
Don't expect the "premium" system by Bose to be worth much at all in terms of sound quality. Maybe you'll get a little more power & clarity vs stock, but thats not saying a lot. The Dynaudio system in the Volvo, even though I have not heard it, I can almost guarantee it will be substantially better in all ways than the Audi Bose system. I had a Volvo 850 Turbo before my A3 and the sound from the stock stereo was much better than what I get from the Bose system. Dynaudio is a respected audiophile brand from Denmark. Bose has been an audiophile laughingstock for more than 30 years. And please, don't anyone tell me how good their Wave radio sounds at home.
Actually I regularly criticize Bose home audio speakers and systems, as well as other audio components/manufacturers, but for a car application the upgraded Bose speaker system and Amp is not half bad in the A3. Dynaudio is still fairly young (25 years old) and is just a another brand to me, nothing special, like so many other brands. No car system will sound as good as a good home audio system. Nice to see that Dynaudio is getting involved with multimedia speakers as seen at 2007 CES.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:39 AM
1st Gear

I live in Toronto as well. And as you probably have guessed, I would pick the A3 over the C30. I actually do like the C30. I have yet to have had a chance to test drive it, but it's the only Volvo I would consider owning. Having said that, I agree with Ryan that in so many ways, the A3 is better. Btw, FYI, do not call DSG automatic, it's a touchy subject.

If you are big on sound systems, I would suggest you to look into aftermarket stuff. I have had the Symphony II and Bose system, and while they are more than enough for me, I can imagine it's not good enough for the audi enthusiast.And frankly, I don't find the Bose system that much better than the Symphony unit. So if I were you, I would just go with the stock and upgrade the system as you see fit.

My 06 Open sky have never had any problems. Like any sun roof, it will have some minor wind noise in high speed driving. But IMO, I wouldn't buy an A3 without it.

The car will be fine in the winter. But like any car, having winter tires will help a lot.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:01 AM
1st Gear

I have the bose "premium" sound in my 07 A3. It is half decent but seriously lacks low frequency bass. I've had the car for about 3 weeks now and I am probably going to put a 10" sub and a 600w amp in next week. From there I will see what else I need but the 6" sub in the back is not good for anything more than a good mid bass driver.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:14 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: nuendo

I’ll be purchasing a car within next two weeks, and at the moment the Audi A3 tops the list of all potential purchases. Initially I was looking at the new Volvo C30 T5 with Dynaudio and sport packages, sunroof and automatic transmission. The hole deal is running at about 41.5k $ Canadian. Main issue – it still looks like the 27k base model, with that bottom plastic trim running around the car. The body kit, which I think makes the car look “complete”, is another 3-7k option – no one really knows the exact price, not even dealers. Talk about lack of information and major headache.
At that price point, a lot of other potential options opened up, mind me say, probably better too. And the dollar amount brought me to my local Audi dealer where I test drove the car twice, A3 2.0T S-line with DSG, and I must say the automatic transmission is just amazing; the engine is lovely as well. It really blows Volvo’s auto-trans thing, because it’s not really smooth, it’s not good with the T5 engine, quite jerky when it shifts, and the C30, being sports hatch car, where the heck are the shift paddles at the steering wheel? And then, there’s the interior – Audi is just that one step better than Volvo – the quality, the materials, but not necessarily the design. The overall package on the Audi just seems more “whole” than what is Volvo offering – not to mention Volvo is a Ford (in a way).
But down to questions: ipod connectivity / Bose premium system. The stock audio systemis just not enough, so I’ve decided on the premium system, but since the dealer doesn’t have an A3 with it, I can’t really say what’s the benefit and if it’s really worth that extra grand. I hear some conflicting reports on how good/bad it is. The dynaudio package on the C30 is a very, very nice option, pumping out 650 watts total. What can I expect form the Bose system?
And of course, the ipod connectivity. Again, bunch of conflicting reports, though the dealer said it’ works just fine.
I also want the open sky system which, from what I hear was kind of faulty in 06 models. Was it fixed in 07 and works with no problems?
I guess those are my main questions/concerns. I’ll probably get the winter package as well, since I live in Canada. And that brings me to one more question: How does the car drive/handle in winter, in slippery conditions (ice/snow) and in rain?
I appreciate some feedback and comments…
Potential A3 driver,
Adrian
Coming a little late on this thread but as some people mentioned the A3 is just a better drive. The engine from the Volvo looks great on paper but it is not thrilling on the road. I wished Audi kept up with the 5 cylinder engines… I loved the Audi 90…
I kinda like the C30 style, specially the fact hat it is a 2door…. At least people won’t mistake it for a ‘station wagon’… The version 2.0 for the C30 as they call it is tempting but in the end it is still a Volvo…

Anyway, Bose is OK at best but personally I prefer to listen to my car than the audio. At full audio, the sound is still clear and crisp. I am no connoisseur but it is OK.