AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/)
-   -   Thinking of buying an A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/thinking-buying-a3-19286/)

mikaelrules 11-06-2005 09:16 AM

Thinking of buying an A3

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new A3, however, I need some advice. Where I live, the 2.0T and 3.2 are available and those are the models I'm considering. First of all, should I go for the 2.0T or the 3.2? I understand that the 3.2 has more power offhand, but the 2.0T is more tunable? Would it be easy enough to get the 2.0T engine to the level of power that the 3.2 has and maybe even surpass it or would I be better off just getting the 3.2 in the first place?

Another thing is, manual or DSG? The 2.0T quattro does not have DSG so I'm definitely getting a manual if I go the 2.0T route. I'm open to both transmissions so I want your opinion as to which is better. Is the power loss the same for both the manual and DSG? How does the DSG hold up to future increases in power (if ever)?

Thanks!

coola3 11-06-2005 01:29 PM

RE: Thinking of buying an A3

Audi A3 sucks, makes noises, the engine does not turn on once in a while, not smooth, the forums including this one are virtually useless without any support.

But a Lexus or Bimmer and you wont regret your decision. There are tons of forums that are supportive.

borg54 11-06-2005 05:54 PM

I just went through the same question regarding the two A3's.

For me it came down to resale value (I will prob. buy a new car in two years). basically i would have vastly preferred the 3.2. but when you look at that price, you are in the neighborhood of some really great performance cars (used m3's and S4's). There are very few people (in North America) who will be willing to pay what a used 3.2 A3 hatchback is worth (example: low resale value of the BMW M-coupe). Where as I think the 2.0t will be a much easier sell.

The 2.0T is still a quick car, but it will not blow your mind if you want some serious power. If you chip it and add exhaust you are looking at about 220 – 230hp so that is not bad for a small car.

In the end…if you are going to keep the car for many years and can afford the 3.2 by all means it is a much better car. But on the other hand if you think you are going to want something new in a few years than the 2.0T is the better choice. I am quite happy with mine (and I am not a big fan of FWD).

Other advice:

 Get the leather…cloth sux!

 Don’t get the nav. or the better radio. The stock sound system is very good. The built in nav is nice, but not worth the price… I got a Garmin c330 for $600 and it mounted in the hole on the bottom of the center console. It fits perfectly and looks built in. Best of all you can get map updates online, not true for most built in systems that go out of date very quickly.

 The ride can be firm with the stock suspension, I don’t know how bad the sport suspension is, but I wouldn’t like it any stiffer. If you want sportier ride, go with some after market springs and get better looks too.

Hope that helps…let me know what you get.

Dave666 11-06-2005 09:06 PM

ORIGINAL: coola3

Audi A3 sucks, makes noises, the engine does not turn on once in a while, not smooth, the forums including this one are virtually useless without any support.

But a Lexus or Bimmer and you wont regret your decision. There are tons of forums that are supportive.

what crappy lexus or BMW is like the A3 ?
None. This A3 forum is very slow.
Check out audizine.com .

QuattroGT74 11-07-2005 12:54 AM

Wait for the S3;)

Emil@RENN=ART 11-07-2005 11:41 PM

the 2.0T is a sweet engine! especially in the A3 and upcoming GTI, since they come with stock front mount intercoolers!

chipped the 2.0T has close to 250hp!!.. and with exhaust and some racegas REVO claims they will do almost 300hp on their racegas program (SPS3)!!!

i just wish they had the quattro right now, cus i'd go pick one up tomorrow!.. but i drove the FWD and it was very very nice!!! obviously FWD is also quicker from a roll and on the highway, due to less drivetrain loss... so it's up to the buyer, depending on what kind of driver he/she is.

either way, you can't go wrong with this car... especially the DSG!! it's unbelievable!!

crusader 11-08-2005 03:05 PM

Nice that we all have choices, bit I think Coola has lost it!!!!! The A3 far above a Beemer or Lexus and fast becoming top brand in the world (A6 won the first Europe - car of the year).

I would settle for the 2.0T FSI, fantastic peformance and road holding and leaves the BMW 1 series in the dirt. Agree, go for leather and forget the NAV.

Take a chance, get the Audi and you will have no regrets.

coola3 11-09-2005 06:05 AM

ORIGINAL: crusader

Nice that we all have choices, bit I think Coola has lost it!!!!! The A3 far above a Beemer or Lexus and fast becoming top brand in the world (A6 won the first Europe - car of the year).

I would settle for the 2.0T FSI, fantastic peformance and road holding and leaves the BMW 1 series in the dirt. Agree, go for leather and forget the NAV.

Take a chance, get the Audi and you will have no regrets.

I love the A3, except when it makes annoying high pitch whining like noises (more like a siren or wind gushing) at slow speeds. I don't know where the noises come from, it is clearly audible in stop and go traffic. Once into 6th gear, the noises are gone. The noises are extreme in the mornings. The dealer didn't admit there were any noises. A luxury car is not supposed to make these silly noises. My $10k civic did not make these noises. Should I go to BBB? or contact Audi USA directly?

b6s4blackrusnak 11-11-2005 03:36 PM

It sound like coola3 is having some major buyers remores. The hissing noise is from the A3 turbo. I think it sound cool.

QuattroGT74 11-14-2005 07:00 PM

Not sure if it is the turbo because the sound appears in stop and go traffic and at low speed?

Anyways, I love the A3's. If the S3 does not appear stateside then I am going to look into getting a 3.2/Quattro/DSG model.