Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Tires! Do I have summer or all-season?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 11:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Tires! Do I have summer or all-season?

Sorry to have to ask this, but I can't seem to find this out on my own. Here are the numbers on my tires, are they Summer only or All-Seasons? Pirelli PZERO Rosso 225/40 ZR 18 92Y Dot XT 4U E253 3506, Tread wear 220, Temp A, Traction AA.

I found what most of this means, 'very good tires', but can I use them in the winter with Quatro, and not slip around too much? I live in Maryland, we get snow maybe 3 times a winter and icey roads maybe a dozen times a winter.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-04-2006, 11:51 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Tires! Do I have summer or all-season?

Actually, I just found part of my answer: they are definately high performance Summer tires, http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=PZero+Rosso
not recommended (or even tested) for snow or ice. So now my delima is will the traction be enough for our ~mild winters, or should I try to get some snow chains for those few days, or should I get another pair of tires (and/or rims) and rotate during the winter?

How much is Quatro going to help me even with Summer tires?

This is interesting stuff!

Thanks again.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:16 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: A3S32

Actually, I just found part of my answer: they are definately high performance Summer tires, http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=PZero+Rosso
not recommended (or even tested) for snow or ice. So now my delima is will the traction be enough for our ~mild winters, or should I try to get some snow chains for those few days, or should I get another pair of tires (and/or rims) and rotate during the winter?

How much is Quatro going to help me even with Summer tires?

This is interesting stuff!

Thanks again.
Well I driven a lot in harsh Winter conditions up in Canada (yeah seen cars tires frozen to the road) , and I think your best bet is to buy winter tires and rotate them out and save your summer tires and rims from the salt, grime, on the roads.

On the Quatro subject, since summer tires have very poor wet traction as the temperature drops below the forties, my guess is four wheel drive isn't much help with performance summer tires in snow or ice conditions, unless you had chains on them.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:11 AM

I would replace the tires for the winter. I have the same tires and they work great in the rain and such in SoCal, but not in ice or snow. My dad, in Boston, replaces the tires with steelies and winter tires on the sports car in the winter. A much much better option.

Cheers!

Old 11-05-2006, 03:22 AM
1st Gear

i got the same tires, makes me glad i'm in GA

Old 11-09-2006, 10:33 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the advice, I'm still talking with coworkers about it. I see my options as:

1- Buy winter tires with steel rims, change them the night before the first expected heavy snowfall and live with the reduced performance for a couple months. Expensive, time consuming, but most effective.
2- Buy snow chains and use them only on the days when it is especially icy/snowy, take them off asap. Will wear down normal tires and is some trouble to put on/take off all the time.
3- Do nothing, the roads are taken care of here on the few times it does snow, and I live very close (10 miles) to work.

I'm leaning toward #3 at the moment, especially since a buddy has an A4 and hasn't had any difficulty with the quatro here in central Maryland.

Anyone else have an opinion? Thanks.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:40 PM

Check on the chains. The dealer made me sign a paper stating that I could NOT use chains on my car and it would void parts of the warranty. I have the same tires and rims, so definitely check into that.

Cheers!