Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Traded my S4 Avant for an A3 3.2S

Old 03-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Default Traded my S4 Avant for an A3 3.2S

I've been lurking on this board for a while and finally decided to register. Believe it or not....I traded in my 2005 S4 Avant for a 2008 A3 3.2 S line...

To make a long story short my S4 ate, oil - about a qt every 1500 miles and in the last three months it died on me twice. The first time was the fuel pump, the second time....I didn't care what it was. I am analy retentive about maintenace, including oil changes every 5000 miles. That being said, I am an Audi fan. I told my dealer what I wanted and he found it for me.

I'm the guy who bought that Lava Gray, loaded 3.2 S line that Ira Audi had. My dealer is in Rockland County, NY and they trucked the car down for me. The car is two weeks old and I've already got 1700 miles on it. Wow! Folks, I don't feel like this is a downgrade from an S4. What left me speechless was the transmission. This A3 is the first car that I ever purchased that is not a stick. The sport setting and DSG paddles are just aweosome....great mileage, no notice going to a Haldex Quattro, even in icy or bad weather ( I live in Bergen County, NJ and we've had all kinds of weather in the last two weeks since I've picke up the car).

There is a reason why these cars are hard to find....The 3.2 S line is the A4 killer and then some. I just switched from an S4 stick to this car and I don't miss the S4. From someone who was raised in Europe, has always driven only German cars, that should be a hell of a testament. I look forward to having some serious fun with this car. Kudos to Audi...and just to add that the interior is much more upscale than the R32, just in case anyone cared to compare....you can't)

Old 03-09-2008, 09:24 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Traded my S4 Avant for an A3 3.2S

Welcome to the cult of the converted - not many people know what exceptional cars these are. The only Audi's more fun than this are the RS4, TT, and R8, and the A3 has the bonus features of efficiency and practicality. I'm absolutely in love with mine after almost 2 years.
I, like you, am a lifelong Euro car freak, and I'm now a whopping 56. I currently own 2 BMW's, 3 Porsche 911's, 2 Audi's, 1 Volvo, 2 shifter karts, and an Aprilla track bike. Guess which car is my daily driver?

Old 03-10-2008, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: radgrapes

I've been lurking on this board for a while and finally decided to register. Believe it or not....I traded in my 2005 S4 Avant for a 2008 A3 3.2 S line...

To make a long story short my S4 ate, oil - about a qt every 1500 miles and in the last three months it died on me twice. The first time was the fuel pump, the second time....I didn't care what it was. I am analy retentive about maintenace, including oil changes every 5000 miles. That being said, I am an Audi fan. I told my dealer what I wanted and he found it for me.

I'm the guy who bought that Lava Gray, loaded 3.2 S line that Ira Audi had. My dealer is in Rockland County, NY and they trucked the car down for me. The car is two weeks old and I've already got 1700 miles on it. Wow! Folks, I don't feel like this is a downgrade from an S4. What left me speechless was the transmission. This A3 is the first car that I ever purchased that is not a stick. The sport setting and DSG paddles are just aweosome....great mileage, no notice going to a Haldex Quattro, even in icy or bad weather ( I live in Bergen County, NJ and we've had all kinds of weather in the last two weeks since I've picke up the car).

There is a reason why these cars are hard to find....The 3.2 S line is the A4 killer and then some. I just switched from an S4 stick to this car and I don't miss the S4. From someone who was raised in Europe, has always driven only German cars, that should be a hell of a testament. I look forward to having some serious fun with this car. Kudos to Audi...and just to add that the interior is much more upscale than the R32, just in case anyone cared to compare....you can't)
Welcome! I agree that this would NEVER be a downgrade! In fact, the A3 S line is almost as fast as the S4. I test drove both back to back, and the A3 did not dissapoint. The A3 S Line is truly a special car. I was actually looking at that same car! Unfortunately there were no lease deals, so I moved on. Have fun out there

Old 03-10-2008, 09:03 AM
1st Gear

Congrats...that car kicked ***...

I had buyers remorse when i saw it. Im glad someone on the forum got it.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:12 AM
1st Gear

Love my '06 3.2 S-line. It was the first car i bought in over 16 years (lived in nyc where its a luxury not to have a car). Before i moved to Cali, I bought one of the only 3.2 quattros in the midwest in Feb of '06. I test drove one other vehicle and couldn't get the A3 out of my mind, so i didn't drive anything else and bought it right off the dealer floor.

I've seen one other 3.2 quattro in the San Diego area since i moved here 2 years ago -- and i love that! Would like to step up to an RS4, but that's a ton of dough. Any word on the A5 or S5s?