Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Tramlining

Old 01-21-2008, 05:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Tramlining

Okay guys heres a question for you

I've just upgraded to O.Z. Ultraleggera18 x 8 rims to go along with Pirelli 225/40/18 ZR PZero tires. I originally hadMichelin 225/45/17 Pilot Sport tires with the stock 17 x 7.5 Sporback Bi-Color alloy rims.

Of course those Michelin tires provide a very confortable steady ride.

My issue is since upgrading to the 18" performance tire and rim I'm getting tramlining. I can almost feel every groove in the road on the fwy. Almost makes me un-easy at times. Is this the trade off for a larger rim with a low profile performance tire? Or is there some adjustments that can be made to the suspension to correct/improve this? Or should I have done my home work better to know this before hand?

Old 01-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Tramlining

Is this the trade off for a larger rim with a low profile performance tire?
Yes.

Less sidewall= more energy being transfered to the wheel.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

The wheel and tire change you made removed about9 - 10lbs unsprung weight from each corner of your car - the lightweight wheels and tires are going to react more quickly to road irregularities. Heavier wheels like the stock bi colors (28 lbs) tend to have more of a gyroscopic, stabilizing effect.
Tire vary quite a bit in their tendency to tramline - some are known for it, others only act up with particular cars or suspension settings. I hadn't heard anything about Zero/Neros tramlining, so I don't think homework would have done much for you - I think you were the guinea pig for this combo on the A3.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

Looks like I have ventured down into new territory, I never gave thought to this particular set-up on a A3. I will have to keep you guys posted how things work out. I'm hoping that as the tires scrub in, there will be less tramlining. I'm sort of cool with it as it is now, but the wife drives it at times, and you know how that goes. bla bla bla

Old 01-21-2008, 07:17 PM
1st Gear

Can we get some pics of the new rims?

Old 01-21-2008, 07:18 PM
1st Gear

hesaputz,

Your 17" TR Motorsports MT-1 wheels are at least as light as tsells1's. What was your experience changing from the OEM wheels to those without changing wheel size?

I ask because I plan to get those same wheels in a few months.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

The MT-1's are actually 17 x 8, 1/2" wider than stock. The extra half inch plus the 8mm offset increase (ET48) gives the car a much nicer stance, especially viewed from the rear.
I have nothing but praise for the wheels - strong, light, well-finished, reasonably priced.The change from stock wheels is mostly noticeable in transient reponse and feel; the car just feels quicker and lighter, and doesn't get bent out of shape by big bumps and patchy pavement - holds it's line better. I've run RE050A's and PS2's, and tramlining hasn't been an issue - but we don't have much in the way of grooved freeways here.
I just swapped back to my stockers a couple of weeks ago (winter traction), and i've got to say that they ride more plushly - they literally iron out bumps with sheer inertia. I sure miss the grip and quicker feel though. BTW, the PS2's (and my daughter's Contisport contact 3's) definitely ride better than the Bridgestones; RE050A's are FIRM at 36 pounds.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:38 PM
1st Gear

Hey guys this is good stuff , trying to decide on what tire size to go with was not a easy choice for me. I was leaning towards a 235, but my tire guy talked me out of it. Now I'll have to wonder if a little extra tire would have absorbed some of the road condition. I don't plan on lowering the car.

I only havea couple ofpics taken at nightof the car since I added the wheelset, it's not the best lighting though. I'll take some more later and post them.

BTW I have the stock Bi-Color wheels for sale if anyone is interested withMichelin Pilot Sport that has 90% plus thread left.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11798/A06D47A768F84431B025A16305A0B403.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11798/0D4E9EB79C96494D810AC067994A23D1.jpg[/IMG]

Search this Thread