Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Wanted Audi TDI... yes diesel!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:52 AM
1st Gear
Default Wanted Audi TDI... yes diesel!!!

Hey everyone,

Yes I have high hopes and dreams... Audi with a diesel... who has one.. or where can I find one... other than Europe, but if you know how I can bring one in.. let me know!!!

Old 03-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Default RE: Wanted Audi TDI... yes diesel!!!

well Europe has them all but don't be fooled by the cost of running as opposed to the cost of repair its like 3 times higher than sensible petrol/gas cars

Old 03-21-2008, 12:06 PM
1st Gear

TDI is the sweetest thing going. I have a 2007 TDI chipped and putting out over 220 BHP and torque everywhere.

I got mine in Taiwan. No worries about buying one here, exporting it and then importing it...probably a nightmare!

Not sure where you are, I presume the States? TDI with 'adblue" is 50-state compatible with emissions regulations, so that might make it easier.

LOVE the TDI! Tried the gas version....just not.....well...not TDI! 900km on a tank of 55liters...e'nuff said!

Old 03-21-2008, 01:27 PM
1st Gear

I wonder, does the increase milage offset the increase cost of the fuel. Here in the Houston area it's about 50 cents more than premium gas.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

i think its a lot more economical. TPE_A3 is chipped and hes getting 37 mpg

since ive had the car im averaging 22.3 or so (not a lot of highway time for me). There is 20-30 % premium for a gallon of diesel here in boston. So 75 percent better mileage using fuel that is 25 percent expensive makes sense.

If diesel doesnt take off in US like it has everywhere else in the world it will be next to impossible to unload the car. Ethanol is a retarded idea IMO but i dont think the oil companies are in a hurry to retool refineries to produce diesel so they can sell less.

I work for a dutch company and only the very short commuters drive gas cars. You pay more for the diesel motor but the price of diesel is cheaper (still f'n expensive though). I did the calc one day when i was in the car with a colleague over there and i think its around 12k miles per year for them to break even on diesel. Holland is a strange place (wooden shoes, hookers, drugs, from-under-cheese) so there may be some differences from techbods experience in UK

I dont know what premium we will have to pay for a diesel motor...if it were reasonable i would buy one.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

I'll settle for one of these for the wife to replace her Jeep Commander (17 mpg hwy). Expected to get 50-60 mpg hwy.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:07 PM
1st Gear

for sure- I'd kill for one of those wagons, or a TDI A3 Quattro. I drove one of the new BMW 3 series diesels in Europe last month with a sport package- what a hoot. I'd rather have it for daily use than an M3.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:58 PM
1st Gear

I only asked as with my recent shopping experience I found the best hybrid could only hope to have a payoff after 5 years.

It's probably all wishful thinking, I understand the EPA doesn't like them, and an interview with a GM exec said they don't like them for marketing reasons. Of course GM hasn't been known for it's long term planning so who knows.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:49 AM
1st Gear

Hesaputz, the TDI quattro was a delicious temptation, but decided in the end with mostly urban driving and highway, and no snow here, didn't really need it.

As for the cost, diesel is cheaper here than gas by about 25%...and no line at the pump!

Old 03-22-2008, 05:41 PM
1st Gear

Reading this thread I so would like a TDI A3. I can see spending an extra $0.50 per gallon to get an extra 10 to 15 mpg. Cost effective. But I would also like to see the US government to see how fuel effeciant diesel is and make it cheaper then gas so that all those makers out there that have deisels that are actually 50 state legel will bring them in. I garuntee that people would pay an extra $2k for a fuel effeciant powerful vehicle.

Quick Reply: Wanted Audi TDI... yes diesel!!!