AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/)
-   -   What can I expect to pay for 15k Service? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/what-can-i-expect-pay-15k-service-135645/)

RatedZ 07-22-2009 06:18 PM

What can I expect to pay for 15k Service?

Hello,

My wife has a 2009 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro and it's time for the 15k service. She was quoted nearly $600 for the 15k service. Judging by the list of actual work being performed (not including "inspections"), I can't see where this should amount up to nearly $600.

What is an average price that one can expect for a 15k service on an Audi A3? I just have a feeling that she's being taken for a ride...

Thanks

edeckerpc 07-22-2009 08:35 PM

Not sure

Seems like a lot to me. I had all service included up to 40k miles, so my next service is on me. I'm interested to see what they will try to charge me....

RatedZ 07-22-2009 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by edeckerpc (Post 1107345)
Seems like a lot to me. I had all service included up to 40k miles, so my next service is on me. I'm interested to see what they will try to charge me....

If you don't mind me asking, what did they wind up charging for their "included " service plan?

My wife got a brochure from the dealer that quoted the 35k (or was it 40k?) service at $930! :eek:

Also, my mistake, they wanted to charge her $545 for the 15k.

Midniteoyl 07-22-2009 11:05 PM

Whats included for the $545? If its brakes and rotors, OEM stuff will prolly cost $300+ alone.

LWNY 07-22-2009 11:46 PM

I was at the dealer's service desk for a while once and person after person coming for 15k/25k service and they were always quoted a price that always shocked the owner of the car. The service rep always responded by saying they could have bought the service plan when they got the car.

I have a 2006 so all my services are included up to 50k

Midniteoyl 07-23-2009 01:11 AM

Its not just Audi.. Most prices I see here are actually cheaper than Dodge wanted for working on my Intrepid. In fact, it costs close to $400 for struts and shocks, parts only no labor, and those where Monroe! Its cheaper to get upgraded ones for the Audi...

RatedZ 07-23-2009 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl (Post 1107402)
Whats included for the $545? If its brakes and rotors, OEM stuff will prolly cost $300+ alone.

Here's the "menu," word for word...

-Engine oil/Oil filter- change oil and replace filter
-Engine- Check for leaks
-Engine- On board diagnosis, check fault memory
-Service reminder indicator display- Reset display
-Dust and pollen filter- Replace filter
-Brake system- Check for damage and leaks, thickness of pads, and brake fluid level
Wiper arm pivot points- Lubricate

Check the following:
-Cooling system- Check coolant level, add coolant if necessary
-Exhaust system- Check for damage and leaks
-Battery- Check electrolyte level, add if necessary
-Windshield wiper and washer/headlight washer- Check adjustment and function and add fluid if necessary
-Automatic transmission and final drive- Check for leaks
-Tires and spare wheel- Check for wear and damage, check tire pressure, check renewal date of tire repair set (where applicable)
-Sunroof- Clean guide rails and lubricate
-Drive shafts- Check boots
-Front and rear axles- Check for excessive play, check dust seals on ball joints, and tie rod ends, check tie rod ends
-Snow screen for air cleaner- Clean (where applicable)
-Doors- Lubricate door hinge mechanisms
-Lights- Check all lights, check headlight adjustment
-Underbody- Check for damage

I find this price to be way out of line, because in the grand scheme of things, they aren't really doing anything but checking things. I can check all of these things in the confines of my garage, and even grease a few joints myself, if need be. All they're really doing is changing the oil and pollen filter.

Originally Posted by LWNY (Post 1107418)
I was at the dealer's service desk for a while once and person after person coming for 15k/25k service and they were always quoted a price that always shocked the owner of the car. The service rep always responded by saying they could have bought the service plan when they got the car.

I have a 2006 so all my services are included up to 50k

Are you serious? That is exactly what the service writer told my wife; "You could have purchased the service plan!"

This whole 15k service is something she can have done at the frickin' "Lube Center" for $35. I told her if she was adamant on this 15k service, get it done at an independent shop. By law, Audi can't force you to get this work done at their garage, under the Magnussen-Moss Act. All she will need is proper documentation that the job was done.

I told her since the car was also there for an electrical glitch, just have them do the oil change there (to the tune of $110), and for routine oil changes we'll take the car to a VW dealer, or something. She's also going to check a price on a tire rotation; something else I'm sure they'd like take her for a ride on.

RatedZ 07-23-2009 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl (Post 1107436)
Its not just Audi.. Most prices I see here are actually cheaper than Dodge wanted for working on my Intrepid. In fact, it costs close to $400 for struts and shocks, parts only no labor, and those where Monroe! Its cheaper to get upgraded ones for the Audi...

Insane!

Oddly enough, I had my 2005 Subaru WRX STi in the dealer yesterday to have them diagnose a knocking sound coming from the back right side of the car. One of the struts turned out to be bad. They quoted me $540 for the strut; "Well, you know, the STi is a performance car and parts are expensive..." :rolleyes:

I'll look elsewhere for a strut. I'm sure I can find a used one online from someone who swapped in a racier suspension.

Midniteoyl 07-23-2009 02:13 AM

"Well, you know, the STi is a performance car and parts are expensive..."
ha!

You could get Bilsteins all around for that...

I would take it to a indy shop and get the paper work... Stay away from the Lube shops.

RatedZ 07-23-2009 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl (Post 1107461)
ha!

You could get Bilsteins all around for that...

I would take it to a indy shop and get the paper work... Stay away from the Lube shops.

Exactly (on the shocks)! The reason I wanted to go through the dealer for the work was because I get these "Subaru Bucks" from using my Subaru credit card. Every time I spent X amount of dollars, I get a voucher for $100 off of service, parts, labor, etc. I've saved up $300 worth of them.

I don't make a habit of taking my cars to Jiffy Lube, aka "The Jiff." I was just using that as an example.