AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/)
-   -   What to look for when buying a used A3 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a3-12/what-look-when-buying-used-a3-222359/)

bretp21 08-21-2016 02:19 AM

What to look for when buying a used A3

Hey guys,

I am considering purchasing a 2006-2008 A3 and wanted to know what specific details I should be looking for when buying. My budget isn't extremely high, so I'm looking at 7-8k (in the LA area). I realize this will most likely put me into a car with at least 100k on it, so are there any mechanical issues that tend to common that I should look for?

I'm looking for a car I can temporarily use as a Lyft/Uber vehicle until I secure a potential job coming up. I've been told to just get a Prius or Corolla for the mpg and reliability, but I feel like my soul would die a slow death driving either of those. And when I don't have to drive for a living, I want to continue to enjoy my car as well.

On the other hand, I do realize Audi's can be quite expensive to maintain and repair, so I want to try to make sure I get one that has been well taken care of and is in good shape so I don't have to throw thousands into it 3 months after I buy it cause something big breaks or I was unaware of an expensive required maintenance needed.

Any help you can lend me in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brett

etzbseder 08-21-2016 10:25 AM

There's a ton of things to look at. I had a 2006 A3 for 5 years and would be happy to look over any adds, and give you my opinion. The things to look for are mainly wear related other than have a mechanic look over the car in general. If you can find one, get the TDI. The FSI engine in those years wasn't as good as the TFSI from later years. The repairs to make sure took place depend on the specific mileage on the car, but a Prius may work for you as well as it will get you used to a hybrid if you're thinking of moving in to the A3 e-tron. I have one and love it, but will be upgrading the MMI when the lease is up.

bretp21 08-21-2016 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by etzbseder (Post 1506456)
There's a ton of things to look at. I had a 2006 A3 for 5 years and would be happy to look over any adds, and give you my opinion. The things to look for are mainly wear related other than have a mechanic look over the car in general. If you can find one, get the TDI. The FSI engine in those years wasn't as good as the TFSI from later years. The repairs to make sure took place depend on the specific mileage on the car, but a Prius may work for you as well as it will get you used to a hybrid if you're thinking of moving in to the A3 e-tron. I have one and love it, but will be upgrading the MMI when the lease is up.

Thanks etzbseder. I am going to be selling my current car this week (a '00 Subaru Outback) and will start the hunt once I get the cash.

I would love to get a TDI model, but don't think I can find one in my price cap of 8k. I'm finding a limited selection currently as it is, and that just the 2.0's or the S-lines.

Once I get the cash, I will posts the adds I am looking at and see if you can help! Thanks!

sheldon 08-24-2016 04:55 PM

I have to agree with etzbseder. The 2.0t FSI engine was not the greatest design and explains why Audi replace it shortly after it was introduced. The newer TSI engine has proven to be more reliable and cause less issues. That being said the car itself it still good and as long as you maintain it and take care of issues as they pop up - it's still fun. I had my A3 (2007) for 4 years now and it's been pretty good. I had some issues with fuel cut lately but that will be addressed this weekend. So far it never really let me down :)