Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

XZILON ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 04:04 AM
1st Gear
Default XZILON ??

anyone get this product added to your A3?? my dealer was trying to push this on me, but 1000 bucks extra?! plus never heard of it and didn't seem that essential.
also what brand of wax do you all like?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Default RE: XZILON ??

Yeah, actually I made the dealer throw it in at the end of our bargining. They were extremely desparate for the sale, but I would never buy it. Personally, I think a good wax and detail is all you need.

Cheers!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:26 AM
1st Gear

That crap (or something similar) is on my Element.
Let me tell you.... it's all bullsheet.
I'm a detail freak and there is no difference in the paint on my element vs the paint on any of the other cars I've had without it. If you don't keep up with washing/polishing/waxing your paint it will look and feel like crap. If you want to get it thrown into the deal like I did with the E or like Chef did, it won't hurt anything. But I would never actually pay for it.

oh and almost forgot to add that my current favorite exterior protection system is the Menzerna line.
http://properautocare.com/mecarcakit.html

Old 01-22-2008, 11:43 PM
1st Gear

I just bought a used 2003 A4 (Quattro!) and I paid $600 for the Xzilon. Whether it works as advertised, I don't care. Forget the actual treatment, for$600 (or $120/yr), I now have all paint, carpet, leather, and "hard surfaces" guaranteed for 5 years.

http://www.xzilon.com/faq.html

I have read (on other forums) that you need to have it re-applied several times in that 5 years, and that a service charge may apply, but straight up off Xzilon's site, they say:

Will I have to have Xzilon reapplied before the end of my contract?
NO! There is no need for reapplication.

As far as I am concerned, I'm buying a warranty on cosmetics. For $10/mo. The way I see it, if I can afford an Audi (granted its a used one), I can afford to keep it looking good.

As for wax, my personal favorite is NuFinish. Look for the orange bottle. It is absolutely amazing, and will remove a lot of grime. I tried using a random orbit buffer a while back (came with tutrle wax, but also tried it with NuFinish), and I find that the best way still remains hand application (be weary of anything high speed, if you arent careful it will send splatter onto parts you DO NOT want wax on, plastics and the such). Then again, I also use Simple Green concentrate over the whole car (Castrol SuperClean on the tyres and rims), rinse, soap and rinse, dry, Armor All the tyres, and NuFinish it. I have also heard good things about Mothers wax as well. A good friend of mine used to own a car detailing business and he would finish up all sorts of cars, classics to new, and he knew his stuff. He taught me a great deal.

I haven't had the treatment done yet, but my appt is tomorrow. I'll try to get before and after pics (no promise that the befores wont be dirty, but I'll atleast hose it off)

And yes, I was also pushed into it by the dealer, probably got screwed, but I do like my fast food, so the warranty will probably be used (unless this Xzilon crap really works).

Old 01-23-2008, 12:35 AM

I just went through the same thing, bought a new A3, then they try to sell you Xzillon, extended warranty, etc. I really wanted the Xzillon at first, but when I googled it I figured out
its a scam more or less. For the $500 they are charging you can just got out and buy a high end paint sealant and do it yourself. Of course if you think you where going to really abuse
your car then perhaps the Xzillon warranty might be something you want.
I bought this:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/11479.do
I put it on my A3 this week and it really seemed to add a nice smooth top finish. I have used some Griots products in the past and they are far better than anything else out there!

Old 01-26-2008, 04:39 PM
1st Gear

I the slip my dealer gave me AFTER I signed for it, and was told explicitly by the dealer that the warranty covered repair/replacement of stains and such,I was reading and it said on used cars the warranty only covers re-application. WHAT THE #$%#^$$!!!!!

Ooh, looks like you have a stain there, let me shine it up for you.

I'm going to go back to my dealer and... well she was cute, but I'm gonna make sure she knows what the fine print says!

haha reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg quote...

"I dont have a girlfriend, I just know this chick that would be really pissed off if she heard me say that"

In all seriousness, I dont know how this is going to turn out, but get everything in writing!

Old 01-26-2008, 11:32 PM
1st Gear
Default +1

ORIGINAL: duc_748
For the $500 they are charging you can just got out and buy a high end paint sealant and do it yourself.
Agree100%
When I used to frequent detailing message boards there was a guy that posted that had decades of experience in the industry and worked for Autoint/Valugard and they had products that they sold to dealerships for this type of thing. He said the exact same thing, nothing more than a durable sealant.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Default RE: +1

I also used the Paint Sealant from Griot's Garage and I am quite happy with the product.

That is not to say that all of the paint protectors are bad, my dad had a treatment from Ziebart applied to his '95 Grand Cherokee when it was new and that thing still looks like new. I considered having that done to my A3 as well, but there are not any Ziebart dealers in the Seattle area.

I also picked up some car wash, interior cleaner and leather cleaner from Griots and it all seems to be good stuff. In particular the leather cleaner is great, does not leave a greasy or shiny film and hasa pleasant odor.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:25 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: +1

I refused this on my car, I worked for carmax when I was in college, they also had some kind of crud they tried to put on the cars, but more times than not it didn't do anything.

Just use a claybar if you go to long between waxes and the paint looks a little dull.

I remember a guy from budget when I looked at a car there, they put a teflon coating on the cars, and charged $1000 for it. He swore that it prevented scratches.

Needless to say he would not let me demonstrate on his car that it absolutely does not do anything to prevent scratches.

Might make the hood a bit slicker for those late nights trysts!