Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*CLUNKING* Noise Coming from FRONT!!! YES I SEARCHED>>>BUT...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 12:03 AM
4th Gear
Default *CLUNKING* Noise Coming from FRONT!!! YES I SEARCHED>>>BUT...

Ok, first off I have searched and the only thing I could find was something about the tie-rod ends. Anyways, here is my question.

Everytime I go over a small bump or something of that nature there is a very distinct *CLUNK* noise coming from the front suspension. My question is what is causeing that? Like I said above, I found something suggesting the tie-rod ends, however on my older Audi (96 A4 2.8Q) it was doing the same thing so I replaced the tie-rod ends and it didn't fix it. So anyone have any idea what it is? How to fix it? And an approximent cost? Thanks in advance!!!

Josh

Old 03-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Default RE: *CLUNKING* Noise Coming from FRONT!!! YES I SEARCHED>>>BUT...

it could be your upper control arms, they're a common item especially on older B5's. you should be able to find a full rebuild kit (including the tie-rod ends that you already replaced, oops) for under 500 bucks. try to find a kit that has the updated beefier upper arms.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:15 AM
4th Gear

I actually don't have that A4 any more (the 2.8) I sold it and got a 99.5 A4 1.8T

I will look around for those. Anyone else have any ideas???

Josh

Old 03-06-2007, 12:18 AM

ORIGINAL: ThePaintballGuy

I actually don't have that A4 any more (the 2.8) I sold it and got a 99.5 A4 1.8T

I will look around for those. Anyone else have any ideas???

Josh
sweet dude!

yeah it still is probably the control arms though.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:20 AM
4th Gear

Do they sell just the control arms? And what website or place should i buy these parts from that have the best price?

Josh

Old 03-06-2007, 12:30 AM

ORIGINAL: ThePaintballGuy

Do they sell just the control arms? And what website or place should i buy these parts from that have the best price?

Josh
here's a link that'll give you a good start, there's tons of sites that you can get this stuff from.

https://www.audiforums.com/m_55694/tm.htm

Old 03-06-2007, 12:31 AM

ecstuning has the whole kit for $500 with the HD tie rod ends, all the hardware and free shipping. PureMS sells it for $490 but doesn't have free shipping (that I know of).

I just ordered my kit from ECS.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:29 AM
3rd Gear

Bring it to a euro mechanic(just to diagnose, better than paying $500 for something you don't need) - I had a similar problem took it to him he said all my control arms looked good except my sway bar links were loose - so I replaced those and it fixed it. No guarantee but thats my $.02

Old 03-06-2007, 03:32 AM

ORIGINAL: akielb

Bring it to a euro mechanic(just to diagnose, better than paying $500 for something you don't need) - I had a similar problem took it to him he said all my control arms looked good except my sway bar links were loose - so I replaced those and it fixed it. No guarantee but thats my $.02
that's good advice. better to find out if there's actually something wrong, before you go and buy a bunch of parts you might not have to replace yet.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

I have the same problem..been putting it off for about a year.. maybe its time I had whatever it is looked at and replaced..lol

I think its the upper control arms ..the bushings get worn and with audis we have to replace the whole arm

Dont do the whole kit though.. why spend the extra money when you dont have problems but only with one end? My .02 +1 from above

Quick Reply: *CLUNKING* Noise Coming from FRONT!!! YES I SEARCHED>>>BUT...