Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Audi A4 Intermittent Starting Problem Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 02:39 AM
1st Gear
Default 1996 Audi A4 Intermittent Starting Problem Help!!

I own an Audi A4 Quattro, 1996. In the past three-four months it has had intermittent problems catching when I try to crank it up. I don't know nearlyenough about cars to runmy own tests, except to notice that when it does happen, it's usually after the car sits between 1 and 4 hours. It has never had trouble starting after sitting overnight. When the problem occurs, it will crank but won't catch for the first two or three times I try to start it. Then on the third or fourth try it will catch very weakly, as if the car is really laboring to start. It then runs hard for a few minutes and if I let it sit there running it will eventually even out. If I push on the gas pedal the car sounds like it will die. If I leave the gas pedal alone it evens out on its own. Once it's running smoothly, it never stalls out on me. The problem stayed like this until one night about a week ago. Instead of starting on the third or fourth try, it just wasn't starting at all. The car had been sitting for about four hours and it was cranking but just refused to catch. I left it alone overnight and it started the next morning. When it started it sounded like it was very very difficult- but it did start on the first try. I drove a few miles and the check engine light came on (for the first time since the problem started three months ago). I took it to the mechanic and the code said something about an oxygen sensor problem, and the mechanic said he didn't think the two problems were related.... so anywayI left it there with them and they've had it almost a week and the problem has not manifested itself. They say it's a very difficult problem to fix if they don't actually see it happening..... anyway bottom line is that I'm totally frustrated, I've listed the car for sale but I can't sell it to someone knowing it sometimes won't start.. my conscience won't let me. Please help me! I can't afford these repairs anymore and I've got to get rid of it......There's got to be someone out there who knows what the heck is going on!!

Old 04-09-2007, 03:03 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: 1996 Audi A4 Intermittent Starting Problem Help!!

Well lets see... when you try to start it the engine cranks correct?

What sort of maintenance history does it have? How many miles are on it? Is it a stick or auto?

Old 04-09-2007, 12:47 PM
1st Gear

Yes- when I try to start it, it cranks but won't catch. Maintenance history..... well, I bought it in '04 and don't know anything about it's previous history cause I bought it from a small dealer. It's history since I've had it is this: virtually no problems for the first year. I had a low impact front end collision in Nov. 05 which bent the frame. I was going slow but hit another car with the driver's side front corner of my car. The frame had to be bent back and body work. About three weeks after I get it back, I'm driving along and the fan breaks into about six pieces, puntures the radiator, and I have to have it towed. $1300 later I have a new radiator and a new fan. Later that summer (of 06) the A/C evaporator gets a leak and that has to be replaced. As you probably know, that involves the whole dash being taken apart and put back together. I don't know if that could have anything at all to do with the problem (I know very little about the inner workings of my car except what I've learned from paying to have it fixed). Those are the two major things- other small things have gone wrong as well- I had to have a filter in the exhaust system replaced that went bad, a CV boot had to be replaced, turn signal switch went bad, and now I have a power steering leak that they're telling me will cost $900 to fix but I haven't done it yet- I'm just putting fluid in whenever it gets low. I want to get rid of this car so badly.... but I wonder who in their right mind would want to buy it....... any help offered is highly appreciated! Oh, and it has 110,000 miles, and is a stick shift.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:22 PM
3rd Gear

what do you mean "won't catch"? are you saying that you can hear the starter spining but it is not cranking the engine over? or are you saying that the engine won't fire?

Old 04-09-2007, 01:27 PM
4th Gear

Didn't someone have a problem very similar to this just last week? I think a temp sensor or something was thought to be the problem. It's a bit early still maybe a few cups of Joe will trigger it.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

Well as I said I don't know a lot about cars so I may be saying it wrong... but let me try to describe what happens. I put the key in and turn it, and it makes the noise like it's trying to start the car, but the car never starts, it just sits there and makes the noise but never starts. I don't know the difference between "cranking the engine over" and the engine "firing". I guess I thought they were the same thing....[&o] anyway I can hear the starter spinning but the car doesn't fire up. I hope this clears things up.... ?

Old 04-09-2007, 01:48 PM
4th Gear

My car has a similar problem. If I start it cold in the morning
and back onto the driveway, with the back lower than the front,
it is difficult to restart. If the car warms up the first time fully,
the problem does no occur.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:58 PM
3rd Gear

well - I think what you are describing is a bad starter.

Starter is spining but not turning engine over - whining sound comming from front of engine
starter engages the engine and turns over the engine - this would sound like when you always start the car exept the car would not start. could also be called (car does not fire, no spark - other possible problems)
car fires but does not start - car would crank, like stated above, and you would also get a jerk or shutter out of engine when trying to start it ( it almost starts but doesn't).

Old 04-09-2007, 01:59 PM
4th Gear

Cranking - The car sounds like its going to start and the car should shake like its running.
Starter just spinning sounds more like a buzz or drill spinning.
Sorry putting the noise into letter's just dont work for me.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:02 PM
1st Gear

Would that explain why the car usually starts but maybe two times a week won't? It's so random... it's been at the mechanic almost a week and hasn't showed the problem. Should I believe what they say when they tell me they can't fix it until they see the problem?

Quick Reply: 1996 Audi A4 Intermittent Starting Problem Help!!