Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.0T oil change how- to, plus ECS Tuning snub install and review.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 01:13 AM
6th Gear
Default 2.0T oil change how- to, plus ECS Tuning snub install and review.

Well I finally got around to changing my oil for the first time. I must say it was a lot more difficult than on my old 2.8. Lets get started...

Filter:

4.8 quarts Castrol Syntec 5W-40:

First remove all of the hardware required to remove the two underbelly pans.

There's a lot of those suckers!

Open the oil filler cap in the engine bay next.

On the underside of the engine is the oil drain plug.

After you have the oil drained, now comes the fun part. Audi decided to change the oil filter to a canister style setup. I guess they have a special tool to drain the oil out of the bottom of the canister, but it's optional really. I got by just fine without it. There is a little dust cover that reveals the valve an Audi tech would use to drain the oil out of the bottom of the canister. I suppose I'll invest in the tool eventually. It does cut down on the mess.

Next I removed the canister by getting a very large adjustable wrench around the end of the canister. There is very little room to do this, but it works best to do it from the top of the engine bay reaching down.

Canister valve:

Canister removed:

Next replace the gasket inside with the one provided in your new oil filter. It fits in the groove on the inside.

Old filter:

The rest of the process is pretty much the reverse. Install the new filter media and canister and tighten it down.

After the filter canister is installed refill your oil.

================================================== ===========
================================================== ===========

Next up is the ECS Tuning snub mount.

Here's a pic of the OEM Audi mount:

It's very spongy and soft. I can see why my car would shift kind of sloppy. The install was very easy since the panels were already removed from the oil change.

Here's the new snub. I had to use a little white lithium grease to get it onto it's post. I also used a vise to coax it over the post's hump.

It's really only 3 bolts to remove and three hex heads as you can see. Once I had the bolts threaded I started the car and let the mount settle in. I then tightened them down. No vibrations that people complain about with the APR snubs. I wasn't certain if I would be able to tell the difference. But I can tell you that I do. The OEM snub is much to soft. Now when I shift I feel more connected to the car and shifts are smoother and less soft feeling. It's hard to explain. All in all I think it was worth the price.

Anyway sorry this is so long. Hope it helps someone.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:19 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2.0T oil change how- to, plus ECS Tuning snub install and review.

Jiminy Christmas, you have to go through all that to change the oil??

40 bucks, and there goes jiffy lube. Or maybe not.

I am definitely interested in the snub mount install though - but I fear it may be too difficult to do in a gravel driveway...

How much did you get that one for?

Old 11-18-2005, 01:20 AM
3rd Gear

Jestnomen Date 11/17/2005 10:13:46 PM
It's really only 3 bolts to remove and three hex heads as you can see. Once I had the bolts threaded I started the car and let the mount settle in. I then tightened them down. No vibrations that people complain about with the APR snubs. I wasn't certain if I would be able to tell the difference. But I can tell you that I do. The OEM snub is much to soft. Now when I shift I feel more connected to the car and shifts are smoother and less soft feeling. It's hard to explain. All in all I think it was worth the price.
is it a snub mount made by ECS or just the APR one bought off ECS? Cause i was lookin on their site for one for my B5 2.8 and it says they are APR's...maybe ECS just doesnt make one for me?

Old 11-18-2005, 01:24 AM
6th Gear

Yeah they sell APR's snubs but on the B7 they have someone make them. They are labled ECS.

Wilken, on the B6 or B7 it could easily be done in a gravel driveway, but the B5 is tough as the bumper needs to be removed.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:28 AM
Administrator

nice DIY man
but dont u have Scheduled maintance on your car Jared

Old 11-18-2005, 01:45 AM
6th Gear

Sure I do but they only change the oil every 10k miles. I drive it pretty hard so I am going to change it in 5k intervals.

Old 11-18-2005, 03:18 AM
1st Gear

on the B5's i suggest to everyone to have their snub mounts popped in while they're doing their timing belts

Old 11-18-2005, 06:06 AM
3rd Gear

Sure I do but they only change the oil every 10k miles. I drive it pretty hard so I am going to change it in 5k intervals.
Good advice. Personally i wouldnt go any longer than that no matter how hard i drove my car. Do you happen to know if they added an auxillary coolant pump with the 2 litre or is that still missing?

Old 11-18-2005, 07:31 AM
Administrator

damn Jared you only have 5k miles? wow... BTW, you should be a hand model with all those pics!

Old 11-18-2005, 08:23 AM
6th Gear

LOL, why thank you. (I'm blushing).

No I have 10k miles on the clock, but the last time they did they oil change was at 5k miles. Next scheduled maintenance is at 15k miles.

Quick Reply: 2.0T oil change how- to, plus ECS Tuning snub install and review.