Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 A4 TCM Location/Removal ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 06:57 PM
pgk
Default 2003 A4 TCM Location/Removal ??

Hello All,

We own a 2003 A4 1.8T (wife's car) which recently ran out of warranty and to our luck just today got to know from the dealer that the TCM needs to be replaced after taking the car in for a diagnostic since the PRND lights were flashing.

Not been around here for long, but a quick search got me to this link:
http://www.awe-tuning.com/media/pdf/...CU_removal.pdf

The instructions are only for A4's upto '01 but seems like Audi relocated the TCM on '02 models. So anyone know where and how to replace the TCM on a '03 A4?

Thanks in advance.
Regards, -pgk

Old 05-05-2007, 10:46 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: 2003 A4 TCM Location/Removal ??

Before you replace the TCM, just clear the codes and see if the transmission goes back into limp mode. Also check the electrical connections.

Sorry, I am a B5 guy and don't have info on the exact location for the B6.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

Hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:22 PM
pgk

thanks this is great info.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Same Issue where PRND flashes. Where is TCM located on 2002 Audi A4 1.8T

I also have 2002 Audi A4 1.8T and I am looking for TCM location. I believe one of the user attached the picture but cannot view them anymore.

Please help me in locating TCM module on 2002 Audi A4. I just bought this car couple of months ago and I have this issue now. I have another window regulator issue also but I want to fix this PRND flash issue before I touch anything else.

Is it safe to drive? Also, I've read that if I disconnect negative terminal for 15 minutes and then recoonect might reset ECU/TCM and might fix the issue but I don't know if I should do that. I don't want to end up where I cannot turn back on my car. Baby on the way by end of next month.

Please please help me locating TCM module in 2002 Audi A4. I am new this car and I am searching on web to find more information.

Thank you very much in advance.

Attached Thumbnails  2003 A4 TCM Location/Removal ??-imag0393.jpg    2003 A4 TCM Location/Removal ??-imag0394.jpg    2003 A4 TCM Location/Removal ??-imag0399.jpg  
Old 02-20-2013, 06:49 PM
1st Gear

I believe it depends on what transmission you have. If it is a quattro automatic (01V), I think the TCM is in the E-box in the cowl area. If it is a FWD CVT trans, the TCM is installed at the rear of the transmission.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:04 AM
1st Gear

Thank you for replying SilverSline

I have quattro automatic/manual AWD.

You said 'I think the TCM is in the E-box in the cowl area.', where is this located?

I am sorry I just bought this car couple of month ago, so I don't much about it.

Thank you very much.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:33 PM
1st Gear

The E-box is under the hood in the cowl area (Driver's side). It is a black plastic box with T30 screws holding the cover on. You may have to pull up the trim below the wiper arms to access one of the screws.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 AM
1st Gear

SilverSline,

Thank you. I will look into that.

I was driving yesterday, where I did not see PRND flashing but PRND was all selected/highlighted. Then in afternoon no problem showed. I would select D and light will be on D. I drove again in it was stuck in second gear, I stopped and started again and this time no problem. So I don't know if it is TCM or something else. I willl need to go to Autozone and clear/reset engine light and see if it comes back. So far it is driving fine and I can see it goes through all gear. I have triptronick so I switched to manuel and I can see it switches to S1 S2 S3 S4 S5.

I will update again if I still have an issue after resetting engine light or see PRND flashing/selected.

Does disconnecting negative terminal from battery off for 15 minutes and reconnecting will reset ECU/TCM module? This was posted somewhere on web.

Thank you very much.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:02 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation input on ECU appreciated

I read this thread and it addresses my issue. I have a 2003 a4 quattro 1.8T automatic with a TRIANGLE warning light. The are NO OBD2 CODES. The PRND lights are normal and not on or flashing, but car barely moves forward at all... or not at all. Reverse works. I have been told to consider LIMP mode and that replacing the TCM (Trans ECU?) might resolve. I happen to have the same car in a 2000 model year as a parts car, so I have an extra ECU. I want to switch the and check tranny fluid level (I noticed fresh tranny fluid on the ground after I started the car after sitting for several months). Yes, checking fluid level is best to do first, but the car is in the street and checking/changing trans fluid is difficult.... must be done from underneath with car elevated. I have determined the trans type are the same or similar.

From the discussion, it sounds like ECU on my 2000 in under carpet, while it is located in engine compartment on my 2003.

anyone have comments on my situation? what does just the TRIANGLE warning light mean? Can I switch ECU's?

Quick Reply: 2003 A4 TCM Location/Removal ??