Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 05:28 PM
1st Gear
Default 2005 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro won't start

Hi all....hoping for some answers that i haven't seen already because i'm not convinced it's the issue...

I just bought a 05 A4 1.8T literally YESTERDAY. It has high miles, 122k, but is in great shape. Runs clean, motors clean, a bit of a spotty service record, but purrs like a kitten....when its running.

Day 0.75 - less than 24 hours after i purchased the car, it will try to turn over but won't start. I drove it around for a few hours after I bought it yesterday, and LOVED every second. I left for work this morning and it started and ran fine. I leave to go to lunch, the car starts, I put it in reverse and the check engine light comes on briefly. I park it and shut it off. I restart the car (it starts right up, although i can tell its trying to putter out on me) and put it in reverse and it putters out and dies. No power from the gas pedal. Now it will crank but won't turn over, almost sounds like it's out of gas. I do have about a quarter of a tank, but haven't put gas in since i purchased it.

I've seen people bring up the key immobilizer issue. I'm not convinced this is the issue, considering it was cranking over and running for a few seconds (similar to the key immobilizer symptoms i've seen), and now it's not turning all the way over. The dealer is taking it back and offering to fix it at no cost to me. It sounds like a relay or fuel pump issue, according to him, and that's in line with what i was thinking. Are there any other suggestions? as i think it could be relatively minor. I like the car a lot, and despite the early early problems i'm having i'd like to keep it.

This is the first car I've ever purchased on my own, and i was overjoyed at being able to get a sharp looking Audi, that seemed to run like a gem.... and theres no way my luck can be this bad.

Thanks!!!!

Old 11-17-2011, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

Ok....false alarm. It seems that my gas guage is a bit faulty when it gets to the low end.

The car WAS out of gas!!!! Didn't even get the full gallon in and it fired right up!! Running great!

My CEL is back on but i'm fairly certain that it's the same code I already knew about (i get a vent error - my middle vents don't blow very hard)....having it checked again just to be sure, but almost certain that's what will come back.