AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/)
-   -   About to Change CVT Fluid (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/about-change-cvt-fluid-71950/)

ee99ee 08-13-2007 03:33 PM

RE: About to Change CVT Fluid

I guess it'll make more sense as I do it, it just seems weird that I'm filling the tranny from the bottom... seems upside down. :-)

AudiTech04 08-13-2007 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

the CVT fluid should come in a 1ltr container which has a long tube in the cap but some don't so you need a container to pump the fluid in ( ATF fluid containers generally have this feature ) and worth hanging onto an used container,

only other way to get it in there is via a long tube with a funnel on it then put the tube into the filler on the tranny and fill till it overflows then its done put the bolt back in and off you go,

the break bleeding system come with directions and its a one man kit you want

You forgot to add that the tranny fluid temp needs to be between 35 and 45`C to be at the correct level when it starts dripping out

ee99ee 08-13-2007 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: AudiTech04

You forgot to add that the tranny fluid temp needs to be between 35 and 45`C to be at the correct level when it starts dripping out

Yeah, I knew that from the manual at least. I'm looking everywhere for the fluid though, I can't find it online. I'm still looking, I'll post a link to it if I find it anywhere....

AudiTech04 08-13-2007 07:28 PM

Dealer should have some

ee99ee 08-13-2007 10:55 PM

Yea, gonna call them tomorrow

ee99ee 08-14-2007 01:03 PM

$15/liter from the dealer. not bad. I'll pick some up Thursday.

techbod 08-14-2007 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: AudiTech04

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

the CVT fluid should come in a 1ltr container which has a long tube in the cap but some don't so you need a container to pump the fluid in ( ATF fluid containers generally have this feature ) and worth hanging onto an used container,

only other way to get it in there is via a long tube with a funnel on it then put the tube into the filler on the tranny and fill till it overflows then its done put the bolt back in and off you go,

the break bleeding system come with directions and its a one man kit you want

silly i know but the temp is when the engine is running for fluid level checking with engine temp at normal, auto tranny fluid expands under heat where as oil just gets more malleable when the viscosity is right depending on the engine;)

ee99ee 08-14-2007 02:34 PM

Okay one last thing -- according to the manual the tranny holds 9.0L of fluid, but when you change it you only need 2.7L. That doesn't seem very effective.