AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/)
-   -   Audi A4 2003 Starting up, Then dying off problem. (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/audi-a4-2003-starting-up-then-dying-off-problem-161718/)

Algo 10-17-2011 11:20 AM

Immo3 Security on Starting - Instrument Cluster

Hi - last week I had the instrument cluster replaced. No more problems. As the car was nearing 70,000 I also had my timing belt, water pump, etc. replaced (2003 A4). I had it replaced early on my 98.5 A4 as well - better safe than sorry. The dealer did a nice job on both - they were willing to negotiate a good "package" price. The car is starting and running wonderfully. Perhaps due to the timing belt replacement, the car is now more responsive. Ugh, that immo3 problem was a real pain.

Sandy1962 10-18-2011 07:44 AM

Algo....congratulations on getting the cluster, timing belt and water pump replaced. I can imagine the cost of that. I have had the timing belt and water pump replaced already. It seems the 2003 is known for certain failures and my vehicle has been text book. I actually purchased a 2012 Honda yesterday so the pressure is off regarding me (a lady) driving what has turned into, an unreliable vehicle. I have spent over $6000 on this vehicle since April (2011)....I just want the "flashing immobilizer" issue solved and fixed and then it will be SOLD - pronto! I will never own another Audi as a result of all the repairs I've done over the last 5 years (some were obviously under warranty)....I have been driving for over 30 years and this vehicle has been the worst. It is the only real "high end" car that I have purchased (most of the others have been North American made - Chev; Dodge; Ford; Mazda; Audi and now a Honda.
I have dropped the Audi to the dealer this morning and as soon as I have a slip that tells me the immobilizer is sorted, I am selling it. I just don't want to let someone else buy it and be turned off from the start of ownership. This vehicle is lady driven and dealer serviced. It is still in prestine condition (paint has been spot touched on two occassions over the last 4 years to keep rust at bay).....so the new purchaser will be getting what should be a good car. Google 2003 Audi A4 1.8L Turbo, Quattro and all the problems listed have been experienced and fixed by me. I am just tired of the love/hate relationship....time to move on.

Still....if anyone has any suggestions on whether I should tell the dealer to (1) get a new key (2) deactivate the immobilizer (3) get a new ignition (4) get a new cluster (5) drop a heavy object on it.....I'm still interested in listening.

Thanks,
sb

D_U_K_E 10-19-2011 03:51 AM

Sandy,
I have a similar problem with my 1996 A4. Maybe someone could help me out :confused:
The problem is:
That the gauge (car with little key) doesn't not flash on the instrument cluster. When I put the key into ignition and turn it (but still not crank the car engine) - that gauge is on and turns off after 10 seconds or so.
Then I try to crank the engine - the engine does not start from the first time. Then I try it it again and it starts (sometimes from the second time and sometimes from a third time, sometimes, like today, the car started from the first time).
This engine starting problem occurs only when the car has been parked for more than an hour or couple. (after the night it starts even harder).
Now if I turn the engine off and start it right back up, the engine starts excellent.

I've noticed, that when the weather is more humid the car starts harder. When it's hot (summer) also harder, and in winter it's pain my arrr, it sometimes takes even 10 times to crack it before it starts... :( but when it's a regular day, about 71 f (~20 Celsius), maybe even 10 Celsius it starts ok, or sometimes it does not)

I've been told that the ignition key could be broken, immobilizer broken, fuel pump bad and etc. (none of these are the answer). :(

I've read a lot of threads, forums, but no one could tell me what is wrong, maybe someone here could help me? :confused:

P.S. Sandy, Audi cars are high quality, probably you just got yourself a defected one.

Sandy1962 10-19-2011 07:48 AM

[QUOTE=D_U_K_E;1340820]Sandy,
The problem is:
That the gauge (car with little key) doesn't not flash on the instrument cluster. When I put the key into ignition and turn it (but still not crank the car engine) - that gauge is on and turns off after 10 seconds or so.
Then I try to crank the engine - the engine does not start.....

Duke
From my experience with the Audi or any other car, the dashboard cluster (computer) loads all the programs once the ignition is engaged even just to "on" and not "crank"....the fact that your immobilizer is not presenting (flashing) but rather is loading and going of the dashboard screen as required tells me the immobilizer isn't your issue. I am a lady and I know nothing about cars however I have been around the bend with the immobilizer issue and have brushed up on this knowledge somewhat.....I'm no expert but I really don't think the immobilizer is your issue. Get someone to run a diagnostic I guess....sorry I can't help.

sb

D_U_K_E 10-19-2011 07:59 AM

Sandy,
Thanks for response.
Well, I think you are right ergarding the immoblizer part.

Regarding tests, diagnostics... :) been there, done that 3 times :D
nothing... once they received an error code where it said coolant temperature sensor - I changed it, but nothing changed :( all the other times no CPU, engine errors, nothing... but the car won't start from the first time :(

We'll see maybe someone else will be able to solve the problem. :p