AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/)
-   -   Audi A4 vs. BMW 328iS (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/audi-a4-vs-bmw-328is-26903/)

Gibson2687 03-09-2006 01:48 AM

Audi A4 vs. BMW 328iS

Hey guys,
Before you jump on me for another "vs" thread, let me premise this. I posted the same thread over at a BMW forum because I'm currently torn between an A4 1.8tQ and a BMW 328iS. I just sold a 300RWHP MR2 Turbo and bought an Xterra because I needed more space, and now I need to get back into a sporty car of some kind before I lose my mind! I have been listening to BMW fanatics rant about Bimmers and knock Audis all week, and now I want to hear your side of the story. I know a little bit about Audi tuning as I helped my friend tune his TT over the past couple years.

My potential A4 would be a 5 spd 1.8TQ. I would immediately do an exhaust and intake, as well as make sure all suspension and routine maintenance was OK. I would do wheels, and probably a couple tasteful cosmetic mods, but that's it for the immediate stuff. I would want to swap in a K04 then chip it, because my goal would be to have 225WHP...someone tell me if the mods I listed above wouldn't put that down to the asphalt....

Basically, I want to know what sold you on your A4 and what advantages you feel it has over the 328iS if you have ever been in the same boat I'm in. I appreciate all the input and help, I look forward to reading what you guys have to say!

:)

KarlMarx 03-09-2006 02:27 AM

RE: Audi A4 vs. BMW 328iS

Everyone has a BMW, few have Audi's, that's reason enough for me. I wanted to get a nice car that no everyone had... Way too many BMW's and Mercedes out there.... :D

Gibson2687 03-09-2006 02:29 AM

Actually, I know more guys where I live with Audis....But I dont much care about who has what, I'm looking for the best performer for the $$$ :)

socalaudi 03-09-2006 02:37 AM

I love the quattro. Thats why I bought an Audi. I love the way the car handles and performs. Its really a firm, solid ride. Its a heavy feeling car, but a good heavy. It doesn't feel like an mr2. Its altogether tight feeling. Ive never driven a 328is but if you already know what you want to do to the 1.8t why would you want the beamer. You obviously want to modd your car so get the 1.8t and have fun.

2001 2.8QM

Gibson2687 03-09-2006 02:40 AM

ORIGINAL: socalaudi

I love the quattro. Thats why I bought an Audi. I love the way the car handles and performs. Its really a firm, solid ride. Its a heavy feeling car, but a good heavy. It doesn't feel like an mr2. Its altogether tight feeling. Ive never driven a 328is but if you already know what you want to do to the 1.8t why would you want the beamer. You obviously want to modd your car so get the 1.8t and have fun.

2001 2.8QM

Well I could also tell you what mods I would to the BMW, just for the sake of it-
328iS, manual- CAI, Exhaust, M50 manifold swap, Shark injector software upgrade (fuel map). That would put the car around the 210whp range +/-.

It's just different mods for different cars...and no, I know it wouldnt be an MR2...but if I didnt need a backseat and some trunkspace I would never have sold the MR2...thing was a ROCKET. :)

socalaudi 03-09-2006 02:54 AM

You should go drive both of the cars and buy the one you like the best.:)
Do you want Quattro or not?

aRIf 03-09-2006 03:08 AM

if you wanna beat a M threeee
you should got an 1.8teeeee

Gibson2687 03-09-2006 03:16 AM

ORIGINAL: socalaudi

You should go drive both of the cars and buy the one you like the best.:)
Do you want Quattro or not?
I hear for handling purposes the quattro is better for corner exit speeds and such...although I know it takes a few more HP from the wheels. I am trying to find some cars locally to go drive...the biggest problem is that neither car would remain stock, so I would also love to drive a car that had been modded a bit to see where the cars can go. :)

socalaudi 03-09-2006 03:22 AM

Does it rain where you live? Do you want to modd the shit out of your car and slide all over the place when it gets wet out? probably not. Did you ever drive your 300whp mr2 turbo in the rain? Im sure if you were stopped on a hill in the rain that it sucked to get going again. Its funny because my cars not very fast but in the rain I can beat anybody.

ExpLlclT 03-09-2006 03:26 AM

my god why did u ditch a 300HP MR2 !?!?! my buddys got an mr2 family of 2nd gens and i love the handling on them, crazy i'd go baq to an mr2 instead of german, its just so much more expensive for the same parts for no reason , but only advantage to audi is the four wheel drive n the wieght comes in handy in the rain its crazy stable, and i love my car in the rain my nieghbor has a bmw328i and i drove it a few times there nice also but jus rwd so you might wanna base ur decision on the drivetrain , that was always my biggest consern, good luck to u