Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 A4 LCD Display fading

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 01:38 AM
1st Gear
Default 2001 A4 LCD Display fading

Hi.
I have a 01 A4, and my main LCD display is fading. The one with all the info on it...
It's all good when the car is cold, but then it get's warmer the display fades and eventually goes black.
Anyone know how to fix this?
I stumbled over another forum once, but haven't found it since. There was one guy, who said it faded as it got warm becuase the plastic on cable and connector on the LCD expanded when it heated up, and then the connection got bad. He went in there and fixed it himself, with some tape and tightening the connector.
Has anyone else tried or fixed this themselves? How do I do it? Or where can I get it done, and what will it cost?

Old 07-23-2007, 01:51 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: 2001 A4 LCD Display fading

You need a new display. my old '01 that I sold to my brother has the same problem. It is not a big deal to him because the only affected part is the radio station stuff. if you don't feel like paying for it, then just look at the rbds on the head unit? anyway, GLuck

Old 07-23-2007, 01:56 AM
1st Gear

My A6 does the same thing. It's irritating, but once the A/C gets cold, it all comes back. I don't want to spend the bucks to replace it yet, so if there was a fix, it'd be cool!

Old 07-23-2007, 01:59 AM
3rd Gear

there really is no fix, except for a new display. you could replace it, or deal with it, and look at the actual radio display......

Old 07-23-2007, 02:11 AM
1st Gear

I found this on another forum... But haven't gotten around to trying it yet, and I need to get some tools first.
Just wanted to know if anyone else had tried this. Or is going to try.

And to you who originaly wrote this, I never got your screen name and I never found the post again. But if you happen to read this, please let me know what to do. Thanks.

Here goes. This guy had an A3 if I remember correctly.

Dont let the Audi garages fool you, the whole cluster does not need changing. Mine did exactly the same thing, worse on hot days, better on cooler days. Audi also said change the cluster, I thought forget it! I took it out, there's 3 plugs on the back. Turn it over, there's a few torx screws, take those out, and loosen the black clips which hold the clear face to the rest of the cluster.
What happens is the lcd display glass has a thin ribbon cable on its right hand side that powers the display, the bonding/glueing on this ribbon cable comes loose, doesn't make proper contact thats why the lines come and go.
Over the top of the display is a metal cover plate held on by 4 legs bent on the back of the pc board. Straighten these, and it comes off. WORK GENTLY!!!
Then you can remove the lcd glass. Be careful, don't loose the 2 pieces of plastic behind the lcd glass. IT WILL NOT WORK WITHOUT BOTH OF THESE.
Then, either take the lcd panel to a good electronic company to re-bond the ribbon cable for you, or find a place that makes and sells lcd displays.
Don't worry about the codes either, so long as you disconnect the cluster with the ignition off, once you plug it back, everything will work fine.

I did mine myself, just added 2 extra strips of thin rubber strip behind the lcd on either side, and made the metal cover press down slightly harder on the ribbon cable so it makes better contact, and it works perfectly. All in all, an hour or so's work.

Actually not difficult either to remove the clocks. Loosen the steering column adjusting lever on the left, pull it towards you and down, (you are going to need all the space you can get) tighten it again.
On top of the column right underneath the clocks is a small plastic cover, grab it and pull at it, it comes out relatively easy, there's no screws holding it in.
On the top of the cluster, is 2 x Philips screws, take these out (It helps if you have a very short screwdriver, it just a very difficult and tricky place to work). Then, pull at the top of the cluster, you should be able to get a finger in right at the top, and its not too difficult once you've got it loose.

Pull it down and towards you, then try look in the back, one of the cables is attached with a cable tie, cut it, (but obviously not the wiring it holds in place)
The plugs are difficult to get out, they are held in place by clips which fold over then clipping into place, almost like a stirrup. Do the closest one to you first so you can see how it works. Unclip it on the sides, then push it up and over the plug, this will actually lift the plug out of the fiiting, then its just a simple case of moving the cluster around till you can get it out.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:43 AM
1st Gear

Sounds like an interesting fix. I know from working with LCD displays that either the pixels are out or not. The unit will either "burn out" or not. Heat and expansion makes sense to me. Also, the WHOLE display on mine goes out in the heat, not just the radio display, so looking at the radio for Miles to Empty or System Check doesn't exactly work!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:42 PM
1st Gear

Did you actually try this? Did it work? I have a 2000 A6 4.2 with GPS, so I really need my LCD display. If it worked for you, I will try it or send it to a shop and ask them to do it. Please let me know if it worked, I would hate to spend $1000.oo bucks for a new one.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:47 PM
2nd Gear

Hey, here's a picture of the LCD screen actually off - there isn't much you can do about fixing this, I tried just about everything and I can't figure out where the problem is. If you want instructions step-by-step of how to take yours apart like mine, i've got pictures of how to do it. It's really not that bad and after taking it apart once you'll be comfortable with it. I tried to search everywhere for pictures of people doing this and i couldn't find any, so I made sure to take pictures. Here's the screen lifted up (doesn't harm anything):

Old 07-11-2011, 02:35 PM
1st Gear
Default display

can i please get a set of the pics regarding the removal of lcd please thanks

Old 11-23-2011, 09:33 PM
1st Gear
Default A4 Fading Instrument Display

Originally Posted by nm3210
Hi Like all the above, I have the issue too. Any chance of getting those images you've taken. Not looking forward to dismantling

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: 2001 A4 LCD Display fading